Anatomy Lab Gloves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zmb96c

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know you're all probably sick of anatomy threads...I used the search function but couldn't find anything on my question.

Has any one discovered any particular type/brand of glove that keeps the anatomy smell off of your hands??? For some reason being in the lab doesn't bother me, but getting a whiff of it from my hands a few hours later (even after several attempts to wash the smell off) is driving me nuts.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
never had a problem with this, maybe it's bc the terrible smelling soap we have in lab that smells worse than the formaldehyde

I double glove and then use Irish Spring w/ Exfoliator (basically sand...) to scrub all the smell off. It works wonders.

I only ever single-gloved with the non-latex gloves they sold in the bookstore. I would always wash my hands with men's shaving cream (Edge Pro-gel if you care). A 2nd year friend of mine swore by it and I love it too. Never once caught that stray smell of cadaver during dinner. :thumbup:

although i did hear that if you lotion up reallll well before putting gloves on, it ll form a seal around your hand and wont stink

Thanks for the advice, I'll try some of these things out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started out double gloving, but quickly switched to single gloves and would have gone bare handed except that people would have looked at me funny. There is no point trying to keep yourself from smelling bad after anatomy lab: it's not just your hands, it makes your entire body disgusting. Don't compromise, just walk straight from lab to a shower every single day.

I had a problem with my fingers going numb from the chemicals. Once I started double gloving, no stink, no numbness. Showering IMMEDIATELY on coming home is a must too.

I started out double gloving, but quickly switched to single gloves and would have gone bare handed except that people would have looked at me funny. There is no point trying to keep yourself from smelling bad after anatomy lab: it's not just your hands, it makes your entire body disgusting. Don't compromise, just walk straight from lab to a shower every single day.
Amen. I preferred nitrile gloves, for what it's worth, but wearing more and/or better gloves to make your hands stop smelling bad when your entire body smells like formalin and dead guy is like wearing a hard hat when chopping down a redwood.

My solution - wear nitrile gloes and let my tablemates do all the dirty work. :D

They loved digging through the fat and the fascia.

I used to double glove and that worked pretty well, but the smell didn't bother me as much as paying 20 bucks/box for the only nitrile gloves I could find in this town. I'll also second the shaving cream idea. It does a pretty darn good job of covering up awful smells.

I guess not doing any dissecting would work as well, but I feel like I learn the structures better when I'm doing the cutting, plus it'd be boring as hell to sit in lab for 3 hours not doing anything.

Maybe its just my poor sense of smell but I didn't think that I smelled after anatomy class...anybody else feel this way?

Maybe its just my poor sense of smell but I didn't think that I smelled after anatomy class...anybody else feel this way?

i don't really find any smell problems; i think coming out of ochem lab in undergrad was way worse!!!!

Condoms on each finger with a glove on top. Plus, if they're lubricated it's a lot easier to slip the glove on rather than putting it over another glove in the double-glove method. At least this is what I heard from the people who practiced this method.

Super useful for your pelvis and perineum unit!

You smelled like crap, trust me. You couldn't smell it as much since you'd just been immersed in the same smell only way more concentrated for a couple hours, but everyone else who hasn't had his oxygen supply replaced with formaldehyde will notice you coming a mile away.

You smelled like crap, trust me. You couldn't smell it as much since you'd just been immersed in the same smell only way more concentrated for a couple hours, but everyone else who hasn't had his oxygen supply replaced with formaldehyde will notice you coming a mile away.

This is so true. I remember not being bothered by the smell or noticing it that much after the first couple of minutes. Then the other day I get in the elevator and almost vomited at the overpowering stench of formaldehyde. It was the day of the first anatomy lab and the fact that at some point a few hours prior 10 1st years were in the elevator was enough to make it reek. Also double gloving is definitely the way to go, not so much for smell purposes (though it helps), but to keep your hands from tingling if you're sensitive to formaldehyde like i was.

Amen. I preferred nitrile gloves, for what it's worth, but wearing more and/or better gloves to make your hands stop smelling bad when your entire body smells like formalin and dead guy is like wearing a hard hat when chopping down a redwood.

It is not the smell I'm trying to avoid, it is the taste. Nothing will suck the life out of a meal like the distinctive taste of formalin.

Mmmmm, zincy.

It is not the smell I'm trying to avoid, it is the taste. Nothing will suck the life out of a meal like the distinctive taste of formalin.

Mmmmm, zincy.

I don't know about you guys, but speaking of meals, working in the anatomy lab just makes me hungry. Maybe there's something wrong with me, but it just makes me want a steak.

You're not alone. A 2nd year I talked to while on the interview trail last year told me about her intense cravings for beef during anatomy lab.

asdf

Last edited:
that's awesome. i didn't know other people craved beef during anatomy lab. nobody else in my class did!

Mmmmm, zincy.

I don't know about you guys, but speaking of meals, working in the anatomy lab just makes me hungry. Maybe there's something wrong with me, but it just makes me want a steak.
Thumbs up on both counts.