NIU, UIC, Governors State, Midwestern DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PT1999

Reaction score
Hi y’all! Just wondering who is applying to any of these schools? If you would like to share stats go ahead :)

good luck to everyone applying!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, I was an applicant for this past cycle and applied to three of the schools you listed (I'm assuming Midwestern in Downers Grove and not the one in Arizona). These are my stats for when I applied:

University: Northern Illinois University
Major: Biological Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.72 from PTCAS
Pre-Req GPA: 3.70-3.75 depending on the school.
GRE: V-149 / Q-146 / AW - 4.5
Extra-Curric: Employment with Kohl's (2,200+ hours), Seasonal employment at Meijer (280 hours), BLS Provider Certification, Adult and Pediatric First Aid / CPR / AED Certification. I also have 400-500+ hours working as a rehabilitation aide, but it wanted me to include experiences non-pt related here.
Volunteer: N/A
Hours: 600+ hours from both shadowing and working at an outpatient orthopedic setting (400-500+ are from working, 170 are from shadowing), 17 hours at a pediatric setting, 25 hours at an aquatic therapy setting, 17 hours at a private outpatient orthopedic setting, and 18 hours at a skilled nursing facility.
LORs: 1 from a PT who I've shadowed and currently work with, 1 from a PT who is also the assistant facility manager where I work, and 1 from a professor at NIU who is the anatomy lab director.
Acceptances: Carroll University
Applied: NIU, Midwestern-Downers Grove, Rosalind Franklin, UIC, and Carroll University (no interview required for these last two)
Waitlist: NIU (low on ranked waitlist and class was full)
Rejections: UIC, Midwestern-Downers Grove, Rosalind Franklin
Interviews: Midwestern-Downers Grove, NIU, and Rosalind Franklin

I believe that many of these rejections came from my low GRE score and lack of volunteering, research, extracurriculars, etc. It could be anything though, including the interview or other parts of the application such as the personal statement.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions about these schools and how their application process went for me, and I'll share what I know if I can answer it.

Hi there, I was an applicant for this past cycle and applied to three of the schools you listed (I'm assuming Midwestern in Downers Grove and not the one in Arizona). These are my stats for when I applied:

University: Northern Illinois University
Major: Biological Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.72 from PTCAS
Pre-Req GPA: 3.70-3.75 depending on the school.
GRE: V-149 / Q-146 / AW - 4.5
Extra-Curric: Employment with Kohl's (2,200+ hours), Seasonal employment at Meijer (280 hours), BLS Provider Certification, Adult and Pediatric First Aid / CPR / AED Certification. I also have 400-500+ hours working as a rehabilitation aide, but it wanted me to include experiences non-pt related here.
Volunteer: N/A
Hours: 600+ hours from both shadowing and working at an outpatient orthopedic setting (400-500+ are from working, 170 are from shadowing), 17 hours at a pediatric setting, 25 hours at an aquatic therapy setting, 17 hours at a private outpatient orthopedic setting, and 18 hours at a skilled nursing facility.
LORs: 1 from a PT who I've shadowed and currently work with, 1 from a PT who is also the assistant facility manager where I work, and 1 from a professor at NIU who is the anatomy lab director.
Acceptances: Carroll University
Applied: NIU, Midwestern-Downers Grove, Rosalind Franklin, UIC, and Carroll University (no interview required for these last two)
Waitlist: NIU (low on ranked waitlist and class was full)
Rejections: UIC, Midwestern-Downers Grove, Rosalind Franklin
Interviews: Midwestern-Downers Grove, NIU, and Rosalind Franklin

I believe that many of these rejections came from my low GRE score and lack of volunteering, research, extracurriculars, etc. It could be anything though, including the interview or other parts of the application such as the personal statement.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions about these schools and how their application process went for me, and I'll share what I know if I can answer it.
Hello, thank you for sharing your stats! If you don’t mind can I ask you where did you shadow for the aquatic therapy setting? I’m really interested in shadowing aquatic therapy setting but I’m not sure which facilities offer aquatic therapy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, thank you for sharing your stats! If you don’t mind can I ask you where did you shadow for the aquatic therapy setting? I’m really interested in shadowing aquatic therapy setting but I’m not sure which facilities offer aquatic therapy.

Hi there, for the aquatic therapy setting I shadowed at Aquatic Therapy and Wellness P.C., which is located in Crystal Lake, IL. They are more than welcome allowing students to shadow, especially since there was one also coming in to get hours from when I was there last summer. I'm not sure how they are currently handling the pandemic right now since a lot of the treatment is done in the water, but I would definitely contact them since it won't hurt to ask. They have both physical therapists and physical therapist assistants, which are both valuable resources to learn from. Just make sure you are having one of the physical therapists verify these hours for you, since there may be times where the physical therapist assistants will be working with the patients the most. I found this setting to be really unique compared to the others I was at since they take different approaches to physical therapy. They also do therapy out of the water in addition to what they do in the pool. This setting is great for the geriatric population because of how freely they can move in the water and is really fun for them! I'm not sure which part of Illinois you're from, but hopefully it is close by. Let me know if you have other questions from the settings I've shadowed in or the aquatic one.

Undergrad: The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Major: Community Health, Minor Business
Overall GPA: 3.37
Science GPA: 3.71
Pre-Req GPA: 3.70-4.0 school dependent
GRE: V-155 / Q-154 / AW-5.0

Employment:
Assistant Dance Coach for a high school competitive team, Walmart Cashier on and off throughout college breaks, Meijer bakery employee one summer, Choreographer for a different high school dance team
Volunteer:
Volunteer Dance Coach for high school competitive team (before I was hired as the assistant coach), Animal Shelter, Hospital ER, local women’s shelter, election judge
Extracurricular Activities:
Intern to the Director of Hospital Operations (semester hospital internship), Study Abroad (Sydney, Australia), Miss Lake in the Hills scholarship pageant queen, Vitality Dance Team member and recital choreographer, Velocity Dance Team Co-captain and exec board (PR & Social Media), Future Health Care Executives club, Mexican Student Organization, Alpha Chi Omega sorority member & recruitment board
Observation Hours:
635 paid inpatient skilled nursing (verified), 658 paid outpatient clinic (verified), 101 volunteer outpatient neuro rehab clinic (unverified, company merged and staff is now gone)
LORs:
PT/Facility Manager at the outpatient clinic I work at, additional PT I work with there, chemistry II professor at my community college (recent class)

Applying to:
Illinois: Midwestern, UIC, Governors State, Rosalind Franklin, NIU, Northwestern
Out of State: Chatham, Franklin Pierce AZ, Thomas Jefferson, St. Augustine Austin, Washington St. Louis, Wisconsin Madison

interviews: Jefferson, Chatham, Rosalind, NIU

Last edited: