NJ MPJE pharm intern vs tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dem0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - I needed some clarification on a pharm tech vs a pharm intern - in NJ when you are a pharmacy student working at a retail pharmacy are you considered a pharmacy intern or a pharmacy technician?

I am studying for my MPJE exam and this is confusing me because at work I was always refered to as a pharmacy intern and I was allowed to take new prescriptions over the phone. However, according to the definition of an intern, I was actually a technician and shouldnt have been allowed to take new prescriptions over the phone..?

Any help/clarification would be appreciated!

This is what i read on the NJ BOP website:
"Intern means any person who has graduated from an accredited school or college of pharmacy approved by the board, or if a foreign pharmacy graduate, any person who has met all of the requirements of the board, and who is being trained by an approved preceptor for the purpose of acquiring accredited practical experience and who has first registered for that purpose with the board."

Members don't see this ad.

Im out of state so i may not be correct, but my undertanding is that there is no intern license in new jersey, therefore legally you are a tech. according to my prontopass sheet, in NJ techs are not required by law to be licensed.

in my opinion the answer would be that although they called you an intern since you were in pharm school, legally you are a tech, since the techs are legally allowed to do everything a licensed intern can.