NJ Pharmacy Law Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJSTPharm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1.) 3 CII scripts ( 1st script written on 1/1/2021) ( 2nd script do not fill until 1/31/2021) (3rd script do not fill until 3/2/2021). Do Doctors usually wait until 30th day for 2nd and 3rd script until the patient can fill the CIIs? What if prescprition written on 1/1/2021 but patients fills at 1/15/2021 can i still fill 2nd script at 1/31/2021 or do i wait till 2/14/2021. When filling 2nd and 3rd script do you go by fill date or date when patient picks up medication.

2.) Is it correct that noncontrol drugs can be filled anytime within a year of its written date? Controls must be filled within 30 days so if 1/1/2021 is the written date final day it can be filled is on 1/31/2021.

3.) Is this rule correct: You can partial fill C2s for a later completion if and only if you don't have the full qty in stock. You have 72hours to complete the partial. If it goes past 72hours the completion is null and void. Do I notify prescriber also? If you fill for less than the prescribed qty at the patient's behest, the unfilled amount is automatically null and void. In this case do i also notify prescriber?

4.) If wife asks what medications the husband has been getting can you tell her on the phone? If wife says she is picking up medication for husband and asks what medications the husband has been getting can you tell her on the phone?

5.) For CIII to CV and noncontrols -> If patient wants more than 90 day supply can you process the rest as cash payment?

6.) CIII to CV patient fills for 15 pills 15 day supply does the patient have to wait till a certain number of days to pass before filling another 15 pills.

7.) Qty 60. insurnace covers 1 qd but patient is using 1 bid. Can I bill insurance for 1 qd qty 60 but have the patient use it bid and bill the patient for another qty 60 as cash.

THANKS ALL FOR YOUR HELP

Members don't see this ad.

1.) CII prescriptions can be pre-dated but only 30 day supply can be filled at a time. So if the patient wants to fill it 1/15 then the next prescription would be filled 2/15.

2.) Yes, a prescription for a non controlled medication is valid for one year from the date it's written.

3.) Not sure about this one...I would think so? But I don't recall reading it. Maybe someone else knows?

4.) According to HIPPA laws (and in regards to the exam), it wouldn't be allowed. In actual practice, some places do allow it.

5.) For CIII to CV, the prescription expires in 6 months and the maximum refills they can get is 5...I'm unsure if we're allowed to process the rest as cash...but I would think not. For non controls, as long as their prescription has more than 90 day supply and they want to pay cash for the rest, I think it can be done.

6.) Yes partial fills for CIII-CIV can be refilled once the patient has run out of the medication.

7.) In this case, the prescriber probably needs to contact the insurance to prove why it's medically necessary for that patient to take it BID instead of QD. It's not fair to the patient to have to pay out of pocket for a medication that's covered by their insurance.

Good luck!