NJMS vs VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wallytheweinerdog

Reaction score
Hi! I had largely mentally committed to NJMS when I recently got off the waitlist at VCU and am definitely torn now. I’m hoping to match back in CA, so any thoughts or insights on which school will help me get there is appreciated!

NJMS
Pros
-Near Manhattan
-Support system of family and friends nearby
-In-state tuition (~45k)
-More direct flights to Newark for LDR
(STILL no 2023 match data, but ~10/year match to CA in past years)

VCU
Pros
-True P/F
-Higher ranking
-nicer campus
-low cost of living (may balance out the ~15k difference)
-In 2023, 19 matched in CA and 6 were in relatively competitive specialties

Members don't see this ad.

disclaimer: I will be attending VCU hehe

both schools will give you an equal chance of matching back to CA, given that both are alllll the way in the east coast

How much cheaper is NJMS compared to VCU?

Support system is definitely an important factor as well, while true P/F is also very nice (tho I don't believe pre-clinical grades really mattered that much for residencies)

I know that VCU has home programs for competitive specialties, which helps when applying for those competitive specialties, does NJMS have those same home programs (if you are interested in competitive specialties?)

From what I am seeing here, NJMS seems like a better fit for you given that its cheaper, closer to friends and family, near NY and will give you just as good of chance of matching back to CA as VCU

Ooh congrats!! Thanks so much for your advice so far! Agreed that Im definitely leaning towards NJMS largely because of the support system, but I didn’t want to short-change myself if VCU is ultimately the better fit.

I think NJMS in-state is about 45k vs. VCU out of state is ~62k. I’m interested in OBGYN, so definitely not the most competitive specialty. I’m just a bit worried because neither school has had many students match back to CA for OBGYN in the last few years. However, that could also be out of choice given that they’re both East Coast schools, and most students will likely opt to stay out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
honestly, I think it’s more that the people who choose those schools are from the surrounding area - therefore either school would be the same in that regard being that they are both east coast

Full disclosure, I am on the PWL at NJMS.

I agree that both schools seem pretty even in terms of matching back to CA, especially since NJMS matches very well for its tier/rank. For me personally, my only hesitation about NJMS is that they are not P/F (other than the first 3 months). From what I've understood from talking to current med students/browsing these forums, P/F seems to be the ideal. But I can see how location/cost/support system could outweigh the benefit of P/F for you.

I don't think you really have a wrong choice here - both are great options! Congratulations!

I won’t attend either of these schools, as a disclosure. This is just my opinion, and you can choose any choice as these both are fine schools.

VCU > NJMS, since true P/F will save you so much stress and anxiety, as well as prevent gunners from being issue at places that heavily place emphasis on tiered or “on the curve” rankings. The cost difference is relatively negligible (if it was greater than 100K, then definitely not worth it) and you will have no issue matching in CA if that’s where you choose after the four years of medical school. Ranking of the two schools does not necessarily matter as much, rather your experiences, research, and USMLE Step 2 will though. Props to a great cycle and best of luck future doctor!

Reactions: 1 user