No acceptances, applying again next year!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markitatillman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm on two waiting list and the other schools rejected me. :( So I'm mentally preparing myself to apply again. I would like to hear some advice from anybody you had to apply for a second time and got it in! What things (gpa, observation, GRE...) did you try to improve for the next cycle of applying to PT School?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! First of all Congrats on getting waitlisted. I know that sounds weird but getting into PT school is no easy process. I applied three times and will be attending my top choice in January. My best advice besides keep trying is retake the GRE of you need to and retake core prereqs to get A's if at all possible. I took classes at a community college and the majority of schools don't care plus it saves you money. Good luck and seriously keep pushing. If this is what you want to do don't let one round of rejections stop you!!!

Same situation here! I have 3 waitlisted and a couple of rejections.
I'm ready to retake the GRE and some prerequisites......

Members don't see this ad :)
Good for you. It takes a lot to reapply and a lot of people just give up and settle for other things. Do whatever you can to make it. I know there'll be a school out there that'll see your potential!

Don't give up. I was wait listed last year and tried again this year and was accepted. :)

Hey uca pt. Are you by chance going to Univ. of Central Arkansas?

Hey, this is my second year applying to schools. Last year I applied to 6 schools, rejected to 5 and waitlisted to the last one. The things hurting my application last year were my GPA and observing experience. I was working as an aide since I graduated college, so while I had tons of experience in the field, all of it was in one setting of physical therapy (outpatient ortho). I scored pretty decent of the GRE, so I didn't bother trying to retake it. I was working full time, so retaking classes weren't a feasible option for me.

So over the next year I did the following to improve my application:

-Diversified my observing PT experiences and in hospitals, nursing homes, etc.
-Revamped my PTCAS essay. Made grammar changes, added in new experiences, and really geared it towards expressing my passion to the field.
-Talked about new responsibilities acquired in my aide job (becoming inventory manager, learned some spanish, taught modality protocols, new aide training)
***I also picked schools with more forgiving GPA requirements and also took a high percentage of out-of-state applicants.

After these improvements to my application, I applied again this year and noticed a much better response from schools. So far I have been offered 4 interviews (2 of which I turned down), 1 acceptance, 1 waitlist, and 2 rejections.

Send me a PM if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help you out. Good luck and hang in there!

I am in the same boat... I got on the wait list for 2 schools and 1 school I still haven't heard from. The hard part for me is my core GPA is what is weighing me down and I don't have the resources to re-take classes right now. I'm going to speak with all the schools I applied to and hear what they recommend to do in order to improve my chances for next year. Also I'm going to try volunteering at the schools I really want to get in to and hopefully develop some connections that way. Crossing my fingers I get in this year though!

As Base14 notes, picking schools with more forgiving GPA requirements will help (many find U of St. Augustine a good choice). Schools with lower NPTE exam pass rates tend to less competitive, so you may want to expand your selection to focus on these schools. Also, if you are a bit of a gambler schools with newly created PT programs which are not yet accredited tend to have lower admission standards, as many are concerned that they could waste money on a program that may not receive accreditation. However, many of these programs have "teach out" clauses with accredited programs so the risk may not be as great as it initially appears. Finally, if you can afford to do so, try expanding the number of programs you apply to. Others with similar GPA's are applying to 10 - 15 programs, because you know that most programs will reject you, but you only need one program to see your potential to live your dreams. Never give up!

Reactions: 1 user
thanx!!!! all the information was very HELPFUL!!! And I will keep on pushing :D

All the encouragement here is so great! I was curious about what everyone's opinion is on emailing the schools that we would like to get into and asking about what they look for in admissions for the ideal student profile? Some schools have these posted, but a few that I want to go to do not. Would it hurt to email and ask, or even better to call?

All the encouragement here is so great! I was curious about what everyone's opinion is on emailing the schools that we would like to get into and asking about what they look for in admissions for the ideal student profile? Some schools have these posted, but a few that I want to go to do not. Would it hurt to email and ask, or even better to call?

It absolutely would not hurt to inquire about your application and how to make yourself a more competetive candidate. I would try to call or even meet face-to-face, if possible (before emailing), but wait until May to let the hustle and bustle of them dealing with the incoming class to settle down a bit. It really helped me out when I did that.

I would make sure to ask what they look for in your personal essay. The answers I got were to give a brief (like 3-4 sentences) background of yourself and then for most of your essay talk about your experiences (in life, school, and PT observation) and what type of "life skills" you learned from them that would benifit you in pursuing your PT career (ie. time management, ability to handle stress, etc.). Also, talk about what inspired you to pursue a career in PT.

I would also incourage reapplicants to get involved with their community. Go to your Parks and Rec. Department and volunteer in programs that show leadership and ability to work with a diverse population. DPT schools (at least the ones I talked to) really take into account those two things when looking at volunteering/experiences (outside of PT settings). I think it is very important for reapplicants to do as much as they can to improve their application. Not only will it make you more competitive, but also give you something to write about for your reapplication essay. It also shows your determination. Remember, it is the quality of your volunteering, not quantity.

more than likely the GRE score plays a huge part in their decision. but like what others have said don't give up and get get either gpa higher or gre score up.

more than likely the GRE score plays a huge part in their decision. but like what others have said don't give up and get get either gpa higher or gre score up.
I did a second round of applications this year and got one rejection, one wait list and two acceptances. My observation hours were similar to base14: a ton of PT aide work (3+ years) but all in the same outpatient ortho setting so I expanded to a couple of other areas on a volunteer basis. I also polished up my essay to be more professional and focused on why I have an undiminished desire for PT after so many years of preparing for DPT school. I did retake the GRE and frankly, my scores were lower in two areas and higher in another so I'm not sure that made much difference. My GPA's were pretty good to begin with so I didn't bother trying to improve on those.

As others have said, try again next year and focus on the things you know (or were told by this year's rejecting schools) that need improvement. Do not get discouraged. ;)

Hey uca pt. Are you by chance going to Univ. of Central Arkansas?

I graduated last may from UCa (2010) and I took another class this year. I was wait listed at UCA last year for the PT program.

BUT

This year I interviewed at both UCA and Missouri State and was accepted to UCA and wait listed at MSU (but I just recently found out I was also accepted to MSU). So now I have to decide which place is best for me.:confused:

Just don't give up. They like to see that you really want in.

I'm on two waiting list and the other schools rejected me. :( So I'm mentally preparing myself to apply again. I would like to hear some advice from anybody you had to apply for a second time and got it in! What things (gpa, observation, GRE...) did you try to improve for the next cycle of applying to PT School?

Your best bet is, if you aren't accepted, talk to the person in charge of accepting the applications and ask how you can improve your file. I used to work in that department, and my supervisor gave the best information to students that were rejected. Many got in the next year after following her recommendations. When I applied, I had her look ever everything that went in to each school's application packet for her input. I got into both my first and second choice school. Good luck, don't give up on the wait list, you may still get in.

Hang in there -- as others have said, if you really want this, just keep at it. In the first year of applications, I didn't get an interview to any of the schools I applied to. In the second year, I was waitlisted for four months, only to realize they had no more seats. This year, I was finally accepted to one of my top choice schools.

Personally, my GPA is not too hot, although my GRE scores are pretty good. This time around, I found that a ton of experience hours, the combo of the PTCAS personal statements and re-applicant essays, and stellar letters of recommendation really helped me out this time around.

Best of luck to you!