No Army 4 year HPSP for optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattosu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was trying to find out how to apply for an 4 year army HPSP scholarship and learned that they are no longer giving them out. To make that clear it wasn't that they ran out of the scholarships they are not offering them at all. The medical recruiter I talked to said that they only have 3, 2 and 1 years available. So if you are planing on using the army to pay for school keep that in mind.

Members don't see this ad.

I was trying to find out how to apply for an 4 year army HPSP scholarship and learned that they are no longer giving them out. To make that clear it wasn't that they ran out of the scholarships they are not offering them at all. The medical recruiter I talked to said that they only have 3, 2 and 1 years available. So if you are planing on using the army to pay for school keep that in mind.

I was really bummed when I found that out. Especially since my friend got the 4 year scholarship for dental school, plus a $20,000 signing bonus!

You'd think the military would prefer soldiers with excellent vision over sparkling teeth right?

Supply vs. Demand. There are plenty of optometrists to go around that would love to work in a non-commercial setting such as the military. So they offer less scholarships because they have less issues in filling the needed spots.

Members don't see this ad :)

Navy is the only branch that still offers 4 year scholarships, but the number offered varies each year with their funding. They gave out 3 of them last year and I think there were around 12 applicants (who successfully completed all the steps and given the green light to submit their packages).

You also really need to start the application now if you plan on attending optometry school next fall (or for anyone already in school who wants it starting next fall). My application took a lot of months from start to finish.

Navy is the only branch that still offers 4 year scholarships, but the number offered varies each year with their funding. They gave out 3 of them last year and I think there were around 12 applicants (who successfully completed all the steps and given the green light to submit their packages).

You also really need to start the application now if you plan on attending optometry school next fall (or for anyone already in school who wants it starting next fall). My application took a lot of months from start to finish.

Hope you are right, I'll give them a call and see if i can get the ball rolling. Who knows I may get lucky.
I'm surprised how few people try to get these scholarships. I know that there is some apprehension to joining the military. But the fact you can get out of school virtually debt free with a job lined up and not have to make your living selling glasses or contacts all day just seems too much to pass on. But if others don't try that;s good for me.:laugh:

Hope you are right, I'll give them a call and see if i can get the ball rolling. Who knows I may get lucky.
I'm surprised how few people try to get these scholarships. I know that there is some apprehension to joining the military. But the fact you can get out of school virtually debt free with a job lined up and not have to make your living selling glasses or contacts all day just seems too much to pass on. But if others don't try that;s good for me.:laugh:

because you can be deployed?

damn optomchick ur hotttt...

because you can be deployed?

Deployments aren't that bad. You go over seas for a few months do your job and come back home. It isn't even very dangerous because you go there to be an optometrist and that's all you do.

Deployments aren't that bad. You go over seas for a few months do your job and come back home. It isn't even very dangerous because you go there to be an optometrist and that's all you do.

In 2004 an OD was killed by a suicide bomber on his way home from work 1 month into his tour in Iraq. Yes, extremely rare and unfortunate, but there is some danger.

Massive understatement!

Also, when deployed, your duties are more than being an optometrist.
I was trained to be the triage officer (1st one to examine patient off the ambulance/helicopter) and to run the chemical decontamination for a trauma station.

Nowadays, combat zones don't have a defined front line & you can find yourself in harm's way anywhere.

If you're considering HPSP merely as a means to pay for school, you're going to be miserable for 3-4 years.

I do know that there are risks to being in the military, just as there are risks in doing anything (driving to work in an ice storm can get you killed too). I was not trying to minimize the real danger that you can face in a war zone. However there fact remains that as an optometrist (or dentist, or medical doctor ect.) in the military you will be in a less dangerous place than many others in the area.
As far as the no front lines in combat zones that is true but if you are sitting on a FOB all day your going to be fine. I personally know what the army is and what it isn't. It isn't a free ride. It is hard and your job is whatever you need to do to get your mission done. (as an aside POGs talking about how dangerous combat zones are really makes me laugh)
The point I was making earlier is that considering how many people are on these forums talking about how they don't want to go sell glasses at Wal-Mart but can't find another way to pay for school or their loans it is surprising how few will consider military service.

I do know that there are risks to being in the military, just as there are risks in doing anything (driving to work in an ice storm can get you killed too). I was not trying to minimize the real danger that you can face in a war zone. However there fact remains that as an optometrist (or dentist, or medical doctor ect.) in the military you will be in a less dangerous place than many others in the area.
As far as the no front lines in combat zones that is true but if you are sitting on a FOB all day your going to be fine. I personally know what the army is and what it isn't. It isn't a free ride. It is hard and your job is whatever you need to do to get your mission done. (as an aside POGs talking about how dangerous combat zones are really makes me laugh)
The point I was making earlier is that considering how many people are on these forums talking about how they don't want to go sell glasses at Wal-Mart but can't find another way to pay for school or their loans it is surprising how few will consider military service.
One of our professors was an Optometrist in the military. He straight out told us not to do it.

It has been this way for a # of years.