No Asian Pre-Dent Thread?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djeffreyt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I the only Asian pre-dent on here? Say it ain't so!!!!

oh wait...there's like 10,000 of us now. God, our ethnicity must be a bunch of horney, highly reproductively fertile, professional health career seeking, people.

Members don't see this ad.

Count me in!

Though I've posted in the Korean pre-dent thread since I'm...well....Korean! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, go asian predents. Asian pride!!!!!!

Asian pride, chinese pride~ :D

I'm burmese; i guess i could join this thread then =)

ArmoredTooth said:
This video is not funny, but a racist depiction of Asians in general. It's very wrong to stereotype people.

Lighten up. It was just a funny video. We all still like Asian people after seeing that video.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow if i was remotely anything like these kids in the video i'd jump out of a window and kill myself

dude asian ppl have awesome stats. gl to you all!!!

keibee82 said:
dude asian ppl have awesome stats. gl to you all!!!
Same to everyone, we asians do have awesome stats. Must be genetic lol.

prez_al said:
Same to everyone, we asians do have awesome stats. Must be genetic lol.

sorry guys...im asian but i don't have awesome stats!...ive brought shame to the asian kind... :p

ArmoredTooth said:
This video is not funny, but a racist depiction of Asians in general. It's very wrong to stereotype people.
The asian kid who made it obviously thought it was funny enough to make and show to the world. Half my family is now vietnamese and my fiance (vietnamese) showed it to me laughing her butt off.

I think someone spent too much time listening to humanities teachers :rolleyes:.

ArmoredTooth said:

Haha, my parents aren't exactly like this, but it's hilarious because it's at least partially true.

"We come all the way from far country China, and you get B+ in Engrish?"

Anybody a fan of Margaret Cho? God, I love her impression of her mother.

"Mommy just wanna tell you... Grandma and Grandpa gonna die. I don't know when.. but they gonna die."

I dunno, I thought it was funny (so funny I favourited it on youtube). It's true though, my parents like to compare me with their friends' kids and if I do well, they try to make it seem like I didn't try or something ("My son is a slacker and gets scholarships even though he's a lazy bum. How's your kid doing??").

But, freak man... I think I almost had a heartattack when I got a B in high school French :eek: . But seriously, some asians are CRAZY like that but this video is definitely not racist especially when the guys make fun of their own race.

"We born you here in America" :laugh:
"Does this look like happy face?!" :laugh:
"Stop crying, are you a girl??" ROFL

dancedancekj said:
Haha, my parents aren't exactly like this, but it's hilarious because it's at least partially true.

"We come all the way from far country China, and you get B+ in Engrish?"

Anybody a fan of Margaret Cho? God, I love her impression of her mother.

"Mommy just wanna tell you... Grandma and Grandpa gonna die. I don't know when.. but they gonna die."
I was just watching her last night...she was doing a skit on her mom talking about "gay friends" haha. It was funny stuff.

prez_al said:
("My son is a slacker and gets scholarships even though he's a lazy bum. How's your kid doing??").

Haha, so true~ :laugh:

Asians' awesome stats are solely attributable to their hard work. There's truly no secret to attaining this pride.

Generally, yes, its cultural. As a white kid I can tell you that my parents would be happy if i owned a hotdog stand and made $12/hr :D My fiance on the other hand...well, she's vietnamese and isn't talking to her dad right now b/c her 3.6 GPA and dental hygiene degree (a 75k/yr degree of only 4 yrs) aren't good enough for him. Nope...she "has" to be a doctor :rolleyes: She finished school in 4.5 yrs vs. 4 and that was another issue for him. (Sometimes you don't get classes b/c of priority issues and crowding...for some reason, he doesn't get it.)

Oh, and regarding me...wow. I'm the biggest loser on the planet b/c i changed my mind during college and now want to be a doctor so my 4 yr ug education will be a 6 yr. Nevermind my awesome grades or my goals..nope...I didn't know what i wanted to do from the age of 10 so he thinks i'm just a loser. haha. MMkay.

My peeps! :D

Haha I totally relate. Just TRY imagining the hilarity that ensued when I tried to explain my 1) anthropology major and 2) taking time off between ugrad and dschool to my very asian parents :eek:

I think high expectation from asian parents because they think they put much more effort into their kids from they were born, and they always try to tell them how important education is. For my family, my parents never ask me to get a job(even though I do have a job) or do any house work (such as cleaning, cooking...etc, thats why I still dont know how to cook), same with many of my asian friends' family, they will tell u just do good in school, dont worry about anything else~

representing Taiwan ehre ^ ^
u asians are so competitive awwwwww =P

Joining the thread too. Part Canto and part Viet. :)

Do you think being asian and applying to dental schools is an advantage, disadvantage, or neither?

rockies_27514 said:
Do you think being asian and applying to dental schools is an advantage, disadvantage, or neither?
Neither. As a white guy, I'd readily admit that you're not considered as a minority when it comes to these types of opportunities. You asians (and Indians, from India of course :) ) are precisely why the term under represented minority was created. You're over-represented in terms of population, but that's irrelevant. We should be focusing on representation by academic achievement, and you've all earned it.

The only major disadvantage I'd say many asians have is that their parents insist on speaking their native language in the house and their communication skills (and verbal reasoning) takes a hit. But, considering the numbers I don't think its effecting you too much :)

tncekm said:
The only major disadvantage I'd say many asians have is that their parents insist on speaking their native language in the house

What the hell is wrong with speaking one's native language!??? :mad: I think it's a good thing to have children to retain their langauge and culture! I want to retain my Korean language that my mother taught to me, and want to pass this down to my children. I could care less if I raise them in the states.

I think monolingualism is plain STUPID! You need to speak more than one language these days to get an edge in life.

As a white guy,

^^ LOL, go figure! Aigoh bahboh gahtun mi gook sahram!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with knowing and speaking one's native language. However, by default it's not your native language if you were born here. And, for your sake, your parents should be speaking YOUR native language in the house not THEIRS if they want you to be an excellent communicator in the environment you live in.

Speaking more than one language is great! The more the better! But, being proficient in the language of your land is more important.

Its plain and simple. If you want the best for your kids in the USA, teach them English as their primary language and other languages should be supplementary. Teaching more than one language at a young age is great, research shows it greatly improves intelligence. I'm just saying its stupid to be so proud that you'll sacrifice your childrens communication skills.

Look at the MCATs for example. The US-born asian kids consistently score great, but their verbal reasoning section is consistenly and disproportionately low. All I'm saying is, if asian parents would make english the "primary" language of the household, this might change. I'm not asking anybody to stop speaking their language and to speak solely english. That "would" be stupid. In addition, I didnt' ask that or even say anything that resembled your interpretation of my statement! And the only thing "stupid" that happened between our exchange here was your stupid interpretation of my post.

I suggest you take a little time to improve on your reading comprehension skills. They're obviously lacking.

And to think, I was giving the asians props for their successes in education. Then an ass hate like you jumps in there and gets all pissy b/c his stupid pride is too strong to take one small and legitimate critique and is unable to understand a basic and benign concept such as speaking the English as a primary (not only) language is benificial to your kids.

I could care less if I raise them in the states.
Glad to see you have no respect for the USA--the land affording you all of these opportunties. You teaching your kids Korean as a primary language is more important that you giving them the opportunities that the US will have open to them. Talk about ignorant and foolish pride!

Where do I begin??
your parents should be speaking YOUR native language in the house not THEIRS if they want you to be an excellent communicator in the environment you live in.
You can't conclusively PROVE that by doing so someone will suddenly get a 5 pt. improvement in their VR or RC score, but I can see how kids can get mixed up (Didn't overly affect me though). Also, I think it's nice to speak my native language, it's called preserving our culture. Society itself is already a crazy melting pot, why make the situation worse? The one thing I can't stand are the asians who can't speak a word of their native language, so I kinda agree with you on the more than one language point.
I suggest you take a little time to improve on your reading comprehension skills. They're obviously lacking.
That's a low blow... :rolleyes:
speaking the English as a primary (not only) language is benificial to your kids.
Most definitely!! But we're hopefully going to be dentists and I was told the more languages you are proficient in, the more clients will come to you. My dentist has mediocre english skills and he's successful as 95% of his clients are ASIAN!!!!!! (I might as well take up Mandarin now...) Hell, we learn English in school and from socializing with our friends.

prez_al said:
Where do I begin??

Growing up my dad tried his hardest to teach me mandarian. However, I refused to learn. In college, I decided to take mandarian and spent a summer traveling around China. Talk about irony.

prez_al said:
Where do I begin??

You can't conclusively PROVE that by doing so someone will suddenly get a 5 pt. improvement in their VR or RC score, but I can see how kids can get mixed up (Didn't overly affect me though).
No, there is conclusive evidence showing a strong correlation between performance in school and parents speaking english at home. One caveaut, most of these studies were done on spanish speaking families.

And, nobody is expecting a HUGE increase in average scores for the VR, but, if you look at the MCAT stats for any give year they look like this:

Asian average: VR 7.2 BS 8.5 PS 8.5
White: VR 8.2 BS 8.2 PS 8.2

Those aren't exacts from anything, but you can get them at the AAMC website. I'm just saying that if asian parents focused on bringing up their kids speaking primarily english in the home it would probably look like this:

Asian average: VR 8.5 BS 8.5 PS 8.5
I'm not trying to belittle or offend anyone here. I'm marrying into a vietnamese family and I have nothing but the utmost respect for the educational successes of most asian cultures. I'm just making a simple postulation. I have no clue why he was so butt-hurt.

Also, I think it's nice to speak my native language, it's called preserving our culture. Society itself is already a crazy melting pot, why make the situation worse? The one thing I can't stand are the asians who can't speak a word of their native language, so I kinda agree with you on the more than one language point.
Yeah, of course its nice to speak more than one language. It can only help you in life. Culture preservation within the home is perfectly fine...no problems there. In fact, one of the things I love about my fiance's family is getting out of my "down home" environment and heading into their house which has some definite influece from their culture. Its a nice change.

And, I have to disagree with learning english through your friends. Even english speaking american kids don't speak english properly most of the time...the idiots try to sound like they're coming out with a new rap album, so their english just sucks!
That's a low blow... :rolleyes:
I know :D But, come on...I couldn't resist. Can you blame me? He came at me all angry and being a dickhead and he totally opened himself up.

Most definitely!! But we're hopefully going to be dentists and I was told the more languages you are proficient in, the more clients will come to you. My dentist has mediocre english skills and he's successful as 95% of his clients are ASIAN!!!!!! (I might as well take up Mandarin now...) Hell, we learn English in school and from socializing with our friends.
My fiances dad is a DDS and speaks Viet, Eng, and Span. Location is the biggest factor in what language you should speak. His vietnamese never gets used at work, its all english and spanish. Where he practices, its all spanish. He's not "fluent" but proficient and that's all that counts. However, if he weren't proficient many of those clients may not go to him.

tncekm said:
Glad to see you have no respect for the USA--the land affording you all of these opportunties. You teaching your kids Korean as a primary language is more important that you giving them the opportunities that the US will have open to them. Talk about ignorant and foolish pride!

Oh B_llsh_t! Tell that to my friend's parents from Colombia, Mexico and El Salvador and they'll laugh at your "no respect for USA" BS.

My friend's parents teach Spanish to their kids, and my friend's dad said if his kids can't speak Spanish, he will jump off a cliff.

I still think it's important for my kids to retain their foreign language skills, WHILE they speak English. Nothing wrong with that.

tncekm said:
Yeah, of course its nice to speak more than one language. It can only help you in life. Culture preservation within the home is perfectly fine...no problems there. In fact, one of the things I love about my fiance's family is getting out of my "down home" environment and heading into their house which has some definite influece from their culture. Its a nice change.

^^ :rolleyes: Oh great, an asia-phile trying to tell us what to do.

I dont know what the big deal is. If you people make such a big deal about retaining culture, you might as well have stayed in whatever country you came from. When you step into another country, you have to come to terms with the fact that you need to assimilate as best as you can with mainstream society even if that means you have to lose some part of your culture. Of course its going to have a better impact on your kids if you speak to them primarily in english in an english speaking country and better equip them to be successful in the future.
When you are in america, you speak english as your primary language and you speak your native language as your secondary language. thats all tncekm is saying. I think you are being ignorant and taking this culture pride thing a bit too far armoredtooth.

I'm African American, and I was just reading the thread to see if non-Asian students were trying to cause trouble on your thread. People can be so ignorant. That comment the guy made about being non-patriotic is bulls**t. I say retain your culture as much as you can. At least you guys know exactly where you come from, unlike us. :(

There's an African-American pre-dent thread on here, and some of the white students love to stir up trouble. Don't they have anything better to do??

Minority pride!

Cablindian said:
Minority pride!
That sums up your ignorance right there. There is no need to respond to you.

Cablindian said:
There's an African-American pre-dent thread on here, and some of the white students love to stir up trouble. Don't they have anything better to do??
What would you do if there was a white predent/premed thread where all the white kids talked about what white pride? we view it the same way you do when peope talk about it. and the fact that its socially acceptable for anybody to talk about how "great their race is" with the exception of white people is rather bothersome. And, that's not AT ALL what my comments have been about. Learn to read you *****. I said that the sucessful asians would be better served if they spoke english as the primary language in their house! I never denied anybody the right to their culture. You read what you want to read because you're an idiot with an agenda.

Notoriousjae said:
thats all tncekm is saying. ....armoredtooth.
He wont' get it..I'm unsubscribing so I don't have to deal with him. I'm losing IQ points just trying to understand his logic. I was only trying to be complimentary and give a small bit of advice when they asked "do asians have an advantage or disadvantage when getting into dent/med school." He's an idiot.

rockies_27514 said:
prez_al said:
Where do I begin??

Growing up my dad tried his hardest to teach me mandarian. However, I refused to learn. In college, I decided to take mandarian and spent a summer traveling around China. Talk about irony.

um...isn't it spelled mandarin?

I just want to say that when I have children I will definitely teach them my native language. I think its important to preserve my culture. I'm not saying the American culture is not important to learn because I think it is. After all, I do live in the US. But no matter where I live, I will always be Asian. At the least, my children's ethnicity will be half Asian. Therefore, I would like to teach them my native culture and one of the most important aspects of any culture is language.

All this discussion saying that speaking english at home is an advantage does not make any sense to me. I learned english from school, not my parents. Do I think that speaking my native language gave me a disadvantage? Of course not. In fact, I have been told by a few college professors that I can write very well (in english, of course). Even if I spoke english at home, I do not think I would understand english any better.

Maybe it is true that if us Asians speak English at home, we would be better off in the future in the US. But people forget to consider the fact that Asians are from a different culture. An Asian and an American can be reading the same sentence but their interpretations of it can be different. It all has to do with how you grew up. I've been in the US for over ten years and I have learned the culture and speak the English like its my native language. However, I still think differently from my American friends when I hear certain words. Its has to do with culture. Try living in some Asian country for a month or so and you would see that the people who speak English fluently will attach certain meanings to what you say (and the meanings they attach will seem completely odd to you).

I also wanted to address the idea Asians who exhibit pride of their native culture are not showing their gratitude for the opportunities that America gives them. I am very grateful to be living in the US because of the opportunities I have. However, when people tell me to turn my back on my language and culture so that I may be more successful in the US, then I get offended. Also when people say that I should be grateful to be in the US when they themselves are not grateful to be living here, then I get offended. We are all living here and we all have the opportunity to live better lives. I just happen to take advantage of the opportunities I have by working hard.

tncekm said:
He wont' get it..I'm unsubscribing so I don't have to deal with him. I'm losing IQ points just trying to understand his logic. I was only trying to be complimentary and give a small bit of advice when they asked "do asians have an advantage or disadvantage when getting into dent/med school." He's an idiot.

Talk to the hands saltine cracker. :laugh:

mellow_yellow said:
I just want to say that when I have children I will definitely teach them my native language. I think its important to preserve my culture. I'm not saying the American culture is not important to learn because I think it is. After all, I do live in the US. But no matter where I live, I will always be Asian. At the least, my children's ethnicity will be half Asian. Therefore, I would like to teach them my native culture and one of the most important aspects of any culture is language.

Mellow Yellow, yes I highly agree with what you have said.

I may have gone too far in talking about cultural pride.

But I think it's important for my kids as well as other Asian soon-to-be parents to teach their kids their motherland tongue.

I don't see that as a "disrespect". I think it's good to speak more than one language.

Unlike that dimwit nmneck, redneck, whatever the hell his name is, who is trying to come here and tell us what to do.

He's just a stupid f__king haole, this is why he's such an asiaphile and has to marry a Vietnamese woman.

ArmoredTooth said:
I don't see that as a "disrespect". I think it's good to speak more than one language.
Nobody said anything about it being disrespectful you idiot. Is your inability to read and comprehend that horrible that you cannot read what I say and understand it? I'm going to search all over on your predent status. I can't imagine anything good is coming your way. You're an absolute *****.
Unlike that dimwit nmneck, redneck, whatever the hell his name is, who is trying to come here and tell us what to do.
Again, i said its a GREAT thing to teach your kids their native language. Just don't make it their primary language in a country that had a different primary language.

I didn't tell anybody what to do you imbecile. I answered a question posed in the tread. Jesus, youre honestly one of the most stupid people I've encountered on a medical forum. Your comprehension abilities in a language you're supposedly fluent in are about as good as a first year migrant.

On top of it, you're a freggin' racist bastard. Saltine cracker? WTF kind of stupid comment is that? Are you attempting to instill a sense of shame in me about my "whiteness"? Are you insisting that my "whiteness" is inferior to your kind? If so, I'd gladly make you look stupid (as if I haven't already...not that you're not doing a good enough job on your own).

He's just a stupid f__king haole, this is why he's such an asiaphile and has to marry a Vietnamese woman.
So now you bring up my fiance. A woman I love not for her race, but for who she is. She's the first asian I've ever dated. And you call me an asiaphile?

You've not been able to bring up one intelligent response to any of my posts (all of which were nothing close to derrogatory or mean-spirited,except when in reference to you personally).

ArmoredTooth said:
Hi guys,

I've just taken my first DAT exam this morning.

However, I got a 16 for both Biology and Organic Chem. So my Science average came out to be a 17. :mad:

I also wanted to add that my GPA is a low 3.28, so I have to really kick a$$ on the DAT to be competitive.
Wow...I just did a search and I am no longer suprised by your ignorance. You probably tried hard, too. Sorry 'bout your unfortunate draw in genetics. Looks like your parents donated their "not so good" gametes to your creation. bummer.

Just to add, I'm done with this thread. No need for me to get banned from a great resource b/c I allowed a racist ***** to get me heated.

참 노랑 대가리들 은 아주우낀다!!�