no audition = no match? for IMG

Started by lvspro
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lvspro

Full Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all
I was wondering if any IMG's have matched into a gas residency w/o doing a rotation at the hospital first? Unfortunately, it looks like I won't be able to do a gas rotation (at a hospital w/a program) b4 novemberish. Anyhow, I'm a little worried, so if you have any pertinent info I would appreciate it.

As an aside, if your answer runs along the lines of IMG's suck, and don't deserve to eat dinner crumbs from the last in class of a US student blah, blah, blah... please keep it to yourself. I would really like to hear from people who actually matched w/o doing auditions.
Peace
Lo
 
Has programs have their pick of the litter these days so you should do whatever it takes to max your chances. If you have <90 on step 1 forget about it. Good luck if you need a visa. I did a 1 month gas rotation and everyone i interviewed with brought it up, most as the first thing they picked out of my application. Also doesnt help your personal statement.. " that 5 days of gas i did during surgery changed my life" doesnt sound that great. So unless you have killer boards do what you need to get some more exposure.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lvspro said:
Hey all
I was wondering if any IMG's have matched into a gas residency w/o doing a rotation at the hospital first?

I matched at a program I did not do an outside rotation at.

lvspro said:
Unfortunately, it looks like I won't be able to do a gas rotation (at a hospital w/a program) b4 novemberish. Anyhow, I'm a little worried, so if you have any pertinent info I would appreciate it.

Don't worry. November is not too late to do an audition. Remember, Match-lock isn't until February. So, you'll likely get an interview at the program you are doing the audition at, even if it's too late to get a letter. At the program I matched into, I didn't get an invitation to interview until mid-Decmeber, and I didn't go until end of January.

-Skip
 
I did not do any outside rotations, but did a month of anesthesia at an affiliate hospital of SGU. I had no problem getting interviews or matching, but did have solid application and strong board scores.
It seems that some programs it is just a simple numbers game of who they interview. Some programs only interview 25-35 people for just a few spots. Illinois Masonic for example interviewed 35 for 2 categorical spots. Some programs also just interview those they know. PD at Tulane said they interviewed only 20 and they all were Tulane students or did rotations thru Anesth dept.
So the message, overall an outside rotation is not necessarily required to get into a program. As a IMG, definitely do some extra time in Anesthesiology somewhere because then it will help back up that you know what you are getting into. Audition rotations can help, but I think it all depends on the strength of your application and which specific program you want to get into. If there is one specific place you are interested in do a little research into who/how they interviewed the past year or two. Sometimes just getting your name out there or just asking to be interviewed is all it takes to get an interview. A classmate of mine who went into ER did a rotation at a hospital she wanted to go to, but being an IMG was not offered an interview. So she wrote a weekly letter to PD and then in Feb got an interview and eventually matched at that hospital. Persistence, kindness to the secretaries and honesty go a long way to helping get an interview. Try to knock out Step 2 and that will definitely help your cause. Good luck, PM me for other questions.
 
Hi! I am a US-IMG and I did one month long rotation at a hospital that didn't have a residency. I had an 81 on step 1, 99 on step 2, applied broadly and ended up with 30 invites, went on 14 interviews and matched to my #1. Crush your step 2 if you can and I had a lot of interviewers comment on my letters of recommendation regardless of the fact that they came from Ireland and my anesthesia rotation was done at a hospital without a residency. Good luck!!!
 
hoyden said:
Hey, do not worry 🙂
I am a REAL IMG - not just an American studying outside the US. I am, in addition, a very old graduate 😉 And to make things worse 😀 my step 1 is only 84. Nevertheless I've had 11 interviews, with MGH including, and matched in my # 1 program( several factors were in play).
My advise - since you do not have any anesthesia background, try to do as much as possible - rotations, shadowing, etc. And be really interested. Make your PS look different - try writing it from NOW.
Good luck!

Me too.....same story....on top of that needed a visa too.Step 1... 218
Matched at Yale,anesthesiology residency in home country.
Its possible if you are determined.
Advice ---go through the FAQs on this website and read all the threads.
Tons of useful information.I started from page 1 till this very page
 
First off, I want to congratulate all of you IMG's who kicked butt and proved that just cuz you had a foreign education doesn't mean you can't come back and make it in the US. All of your posts were truly inspiring. I wanna go into anesthesiology also, but my school doesnt have any affiliations with US hospitals. I wanna come back and do an elective in a US hospital to increase my chances of matching. I hope to be as lucky as all of you. It just goes to show that if it's in the cards for you, no matter what anyone says or does, YOU WILL MAKE IT! Congratulations again, and good luck for the future! 👍
 
Sunz81 said:
First off, I want to congratulate all of you IMG's who kicked butt and proved that just cuz you had a foreign education doesn't mean you can't come back and make it in the US. All of your posts were truly inspiring. I wanna go into anesthesiology also, but my school doesnt have any affiliations with US hospitals. I wanna come back and do an elective in a US hospital to increase my chances of matching. I hope to be as lucky as all of you. It just goes to show that if it's in the cards for you, no matter what anyone says or does, YOU WILL MAKE IT! Congratulations again, and good luck for the future! 👍

Mt. Sinai School of Medicine in New York. Do a rotation there. Apply now. Kick butt during it. Get a good letter. It will increase your chances at getting a spot.

-Skip
 
Skip Intro said:
Mt. Sinai School of Medicine in New York. Do a rotation there. Apply now. Kick butt during it. Get a good letter. It will increase your chances at getting a spot.

-Skip

Agreed.. Mt. Sinai is one of the few programs that allows imgs to rotate and they will help you alot when it comes to match time. You most likely wont wind up matching there, but they will open lots of doors for you if they like you.
 
dr2b0804 said:
Hi! I am a US-IMG and I did one month long rotation at a hospital that didn't have a residency. I had an 81 on step 1, 99 on step 2, applied broadly and ended up with 30 invites, went on 14 interviews and matched to my #1. Crush your step 2 if you can and I had a lot of interviewers comment on my letters of recommendation regardless of the fact that they came from Ireland and my anesthesia rotation was done at a hospital without a residency. Good luck!!!

Soooo true. This is also my story and not just because dr2b0804 is my better half. The key is quicka** on your boards and it will open doors for you. Once the door is opened show that you would be someone that people will enjoy to work with- this is very, very important=shine during your interviews. LOR are important. But they don't have to be from a residency attending. I had one guy from Ireland write one (was on staff 10 years ago at B&W), one from aultaman hospital in Ohio and one from U of Miami/Mt.Sinai. In the end it all worked out. Just be persistant and make a good impresion during your rotations/interviews. It really isn't rocket science. 😉