No clinical research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtuoso735

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it a big negative if you don't have any clinical research experience? I'm applying this cycle but don't have clinical research experience. I have research experience in a biology lab (though not medically related), but was wondering if clinical research experience is necessary.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it a big negative if you don't have any clinical research experience? I'm applying this cycle but don't have clinical research experience. I have research experience in a biology lab (though not medically related), but was wondering if clinical research experience is necessary.
Not a big deal at all. Its a plus if you have it, but not many applicants will have it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a big deal, also most people who do research in college do bench research not clinical. It only matters for MSTP and other MD/PhD and DO/PhD programs.

Good q OP. I'm not particularly worried about research at this point in the game. For me, I'm already a non-trad student and have a very significant amount of ECs in other areas that I'm bringing to the table. Research is cool, and if I ended up in a program that required research during school years I look forward to the experience but I'm not going to go out and grab research just to pad my resume for school at this point.

u gaiz r lame. I all rdy has a publikashun.

Clinical Research is a specific thing, and I'd say only a small minority (very small) have this sort of research experience. This relates to research dealing with patients, how they interact with drugs, clinical trials and outcomes of certain drugs, etc. I honestly don't know how AdComs view this. It is very rare, but usually your capacity is very limited as you don't have a medical license.

Most people have some sort of Basic Science Research. This means they are advancing the scientific knowledge of something. As for medical schools, they generally don't care if this is medically relevant because hypothesis building and testing is a skill you develop in this type of research. So whether you're investigating the infectious cycle of HIV or examining peapods like Mendel, they count for about the same. Basic Science research is what people refer to as "bench" research.

Sometimes people refer to Translational Research as Clinical Research, which is as the name describes, the translation of bench research into treating patients. This is also a very rare form of research since testing human subjects isn't done liberally.

Woah, a thread I created a while back has been resurrected. But I guess it's nice to know that most people do not have clinical research experience on their applications. The only reason I asked was that I had a committee interview done by a med student at the med school associated with the place I did undergrad, and he mentioned that it was important to have. But then again the med school is a top 10 med school and all those students are crazy anyways. :)

Woah, a thread I created a while back has been resurrected. But I guess it's nice to know that most people do not have clinical research experience on their applications. The only reason I asked was that I had a committee interview done by a med student at the med school associated with the place I did undergrad, and he mentioned that it was important to have. But then again the med school is a top 10 med school and all those students are crazy anyways. :)

It might be a deal breaker at the top MD schools, but I doubt it matters much for DO.

u gaiz r lame. I all rdy has a publikashun.

oh cool, was it as a patient with a brain tumor perhaps? Id love to read it if you have a copy with a decipher legend.

:laugh:

top tier research MD school cares. it is just "required" like a 3.9/35.

It will be a nice addition but not really important for DO.

Honestly, he probably didn't know what clinical research actually entailed. He probably thought it meant medically related research, which can really be anything.

From my experiences, most medical students actually suck in the lab. Hell, even a lot of graduate students suck in the lab.

top tier research MD school cares. it is just "required" like a 3.9/35.

It will be a nice addition but not really important for DO.

Yeah, I went to a top undergrad so I'm assuming he thought I was gunning for top 10 schools (I am not).