No Colleges/Univ within 60+ miles.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NOPOLES

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I love SDN - everybody is so eager to help.

I need to take upper division courses to bump up my GPA but there are no Colleges or Universities close to me (or within 60-miles from me). I cannot move because my husband is finishing his residency. So, I am thinking of taking upper division courses through distance learning (DL).

Two questions:
What is the consensus on DL courses for increasing GPAs and for applying to schools? Is it frowned upon by schools?

Any good DL colleges or universities out there? From personal experience?

Thanks in advance :) Also, please advice me if I am better off posting this in another forum.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I don't really have an answer to your question. I think your best bet is probably to email the admissions office at the various schools you are thinking of possibly applying to one day and asking how they view advanced DL courses and how they would use them in re-calculating your GPA. Every school is just so different and its so hard to keep them all straight. I prefer corresponding via email that way whatever they tell you is in writing.

In terms of whether or not a school is good or not for DL, I'm also not much help :rolleyes: I think it depends on the individual. I am currently taking Animal Science and Nutrition through Oklahoma State, which is just ok. But maybe thats the course or the teacher or me! I just find it hard to really motivate myself to do the coursework when I have a full year to complete the course (I'm getting distracted by everything else I have to do!). Just make sure it is a 4 year accredited university. :) I hope that helps a little.

There have been a couple of posts regarding DL classes.

Biochem Online?
If you do a search, I know there are others.

I contacted the school I am most interested in attending (WI) and asked their opinion about online classes. With my situation, as a non-trad and not being in school for 5+ years, they said it would be more advantageous for me to take a full in-person courseload. They wanted my app to show that I could handle the rigors of vet school. My best advice is to contact the schools you are interested in and get their opinion... remember you want them on your side.

Allison

Members don't see this ad :)
As a working non-trad, I took my last 5 pre-reqs (2 business courses, animal nutrition, genetics, and biochem) via internet courses. It may or may not have hurt my app...I got into my preferred school, but rejected from the others I applied to.

I also had a very strong science background from my undergrad, and had worked as a zoo curator, marine biologist, and animal trainer since graduation (including preparing labs for universities and guiding research projects.)

So, really, it probably depends on you, your background, the schools you apply to, etc.

I will say that I strongly dislike internet courses. So far, I have not had any of them be exceptional. The best I took was Genetics, the worst Microecon. Genetics was fine, just not great. Microecon's prof did not have a strong grasp of English, which is very difficult to deal with in computer forums (probably just as much of a problem verbally, though) so I couldn't understand 1/4 of the test questions at all, and there were massive homophone errors, spelling errors, and the grammar was beyond tragic.

Also, for many profs, the online classes are an aside and get treated as such. Also, you may have to have a proctor for exams, and some places are more stringent about proctor qualifications. Finally, as someone said, be sure the place is accredited. Lots of diploma mills floating around making money.

You say that there are no schools within 60 miles...how far is the nearest school? I drove over an hour each way five days a week for classes at the closest university...it was hard and at times it sucked, but overall, totally worth taking the classes in person and at a good university. Just my thoughts from personal experience.

Thanks for sharing your experience, VeganChick.

I don't mind driving 1hr or so. I'm worried during winter time when it is snowing hard and the roads are not plowed. Hence, I started this thread.... not b/c I don't want to drive.

Oh, I feel ya! I am in the DC metro area and I had weather and traffic problems from hell! The day of my first final exam, there was a huge accident on the Beltway and it took me over 2 hours to get to school. I was frazzled beyond belief!