no derm dept at med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snausage

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an M3 wanting to do derm but worried about my chances. I think I have the grades, AOA, and Step 1 score. But there's no derm department at my school and thus no derm research opportunities. I have 1 non-derm paper being submitted for publication and will probably get to do a couple of derm case reports this year, but that's all the research I have. I would really appreciate some advice:

1. Should I do away rotations at a really strong program with well-known faculty to get strong LOR's or at less well-known programs where I may have a better chance of getting accepted?
2. Should I make a desperate attempt at research and try to make 1 of my 2 away rotations a research-oriented month or just do regular clinical electives?
3. Should I not even apply this year and try to do a year of research first?
4. If I apply this year and don't match, is it hard to get one of those 1-yr derm research positions? Do people go ahead and line these up before the match as back-up?

Thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an M3 wanting to do derm but worried about my chances. I think I have the grades, AOA, and Step 1 score. But there's no derm department at my school and thus no derm research opportunities. I have 1 non-derm paper being submitted for publication and will probably get to do a couple of derm case reports this year, but that's all the research I have. I would really appreciate some advice:

1. Should I do away rotations at a really strong program with well-known faculty to get strong LOR's or at less well-known programs where I may have a better chance of getting accepted?
2. Should I make a desperate attempt at research and try to make 1 of my 2 away rotations a research-oriented month or just do regular clinical electives?
3. Should I not even apply this year and try to do a year of research first?
4. If I apply this year and don't match, is it hard to get one of those 1-yr derm research positions? Do people go ahead and line these up before the match as back-up?

Thanks a bunch.

1. Do rotations at prime networking spots -- the most competitive places are a longshot for anybody. However, you really do need LORs from dermatologists, so they say. I'd say do your three aways at mid-tier programs. Everyone in derm knows everyone.
2. I would consider doing an away rotation in research but I really don't think PDs care about what you do at their program as long as you kiss a$$ and do well -- you probably won't be able to do any real publishing with that one month.
3. Don't take a year off and do research -- no one has time to burn.
4. Absolutely set something up for next year -- don't wait. Get your name out there and set something up now.