no derm dept at med school

Started by snausage
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

snausage

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an M3 wanting to do derm but worried about my chances. I think I have the grades, AOA, and Step 1 score. But there's no derm department at my school and thus no derm research opportunities. I have 1 non-derm paper being submitted for publication and will probably get to do a couple of derm case reports this year, but that's all the research I have. I would really appreciate some advice:

1. Should I do away rotations at a really strong program with well-known faculty to get strong LOR's or at less well-known programs where I may have a better chance of getting accepted?
2. Should I make a desperate attempt at research and try to make 1 of my 2 away rotations a research-oriented month or just do regular clinical electives?
3. Should I not even apply this year and try to do a year of research first?
4. If I apply this year and don't match, is it hard to get one of those 1-yr derm research positions? Do people go ahead and line these up before the match as back-up?

Thanks a bunch.
 
I'm an M3 wanting to do derm but worried about my chances. I think I have the grades, AOA, and Step 1 score. But there's no derm department at my school and thus no derm research opportunities. I have 1 non-derm paper being submitted for publication and will probably get to do a couple of derm case reports this year, but that's all the research I have. I would really appreciate some advice:

1. Should I do away rotations at a really strong program with well-known faculty to get strong LOR's or at less well-known programs where I may have a better chance of getting accepted?
2. Should I make a desperate attempt at research and try to make 1 of my 2 away rotations a research-oriented month or just do regular clinical electives?
3. Should I not even apply this year and try to do a year of research first?
4. If I apply this year and don't match, is it hard to get one of those 1-yr derm research positions? Do people go ahead and line these up before the match as back-up?

Thanks a bunch.

1. Do rotations at prime networking spots -- the most competitive places are a longshot for anybody. However, you really do need LORs from dermatologists, so they say. I'd say do your three aways at mid-tier programs. Everyone in derm knows everyone.
2. I would consider doing an away rotation in research but I really don't think PDs care about what you do at their program as long as you kiss a$$ and do well -- you probably won't be able to do any real publishing with that one month.
3. Don't take a year off and do research -- no one has time to burn.
4. Absolutely set something up for next year -- don't wait. Get your name out there and set something up now.