No ECs for ERAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilverCat

The Friendly Reapp Cat
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How bad is it to have no ECs--except research--on your ERAS under experiences? I have only one student group I was involved with very briefly. With average board scores and grades, how big of a problem is this?

I have a one year research fellowship and one review article and a couple of presentations/posters, so not much output from research either.

Members don't see this ad.

Dang, no pubs from a research year? I don't think I've ever seen that.

No ECs at ALL? No one-off volunteer event, mentoring event, tutoring, etc?

How bad is it to have no ECs--except research--on your ERAS under experiences? I have only one student group I was involved with very briefly. With average board scores and grades, how big of a problem is this?

I have a one year research fellowship and one review article and a couple of presentations/posters, so not much output from research either.

What were you doing during this year? Is there material in press or in the preparation phase? It's not super easy to get published, but it would be reasonable to expect more than this.

I am sure you have some ECs (what do you do during your spare time??), you just might have to get creative.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a lot of failed experiments--basically inconclusive. I worked pretty much every day on top of it--including every weekend--to get no definitive results. My advisor was gone a lot, and expected me to be independent when I just struggled. I'm really depressed, and I feel like I've destroyed my residency chances completely. Everyone has such high expectations of my match, but in fact, I'd be happy just to match at my home program or any program.

To make matters worse, I'm very shy and introverted (one of my evals says I'm 'socially awkward'). I have slightly above average scores, though.

Just a lot of failed experiments--basically inconclusive. I worked pretty much every day on top of it--including every weekend--to get no definitive results. My advisor was gone a lot, and expected me to be independent when I just struggled. I'm really depressed, and I feel like I've destroyed my residency chances completely. Everyone has such high expectations of my match, but in fact, I'd be happy just to match at my home program or any program.

To make matters worse, I'm very shy and introverted (one of my evals says I'm 'socially awkward'). I have slightly above average scores, though.
C'mon man, you're being too hard on yourself. :) You'll be fine, given your record here. You might not match into the top programs, but you'll likely match well enough. You'll have a chance do any fellowship you want coming from even your safeties, even GI. Just work hard during residency. And now you'll know how to pick a better advisor and research project so that's also helpful in a way (like how ruling out is sometimes as helpful as ruling in).

I'd be willing to bet that above average scores will secure enough interviews, but you'll need to make the most of the opportunities you get. Do some practice interviews with friends and mentors so you can be more comfortable. Have some open-ended questions in your mind that can be conversation starters during the pre (or post) interview dinners. Look for opportunities to be helpful during the interview day. Above all, smile. A genuine smile will do more than anything else to put the people around you at ease and more likely to engage with you in conversation. During the interviews when questions about your research come up, just be honest about your frustration at not having publishable results (without seeming to blame your advisor). I think most researchers at one time or another will be able to relate to your experience.

I have ZERO research and ZERO extracurriculars other than what I do on my personal time outside of medicine (wife, kid, investing and finance, etc). However, I did get two advanced degrees while in medical school: MBA and MHA (Im currently 1 class away from finishing the degree). So I guess I could talk about that during the interview trail. I found these to be very insightful, especially regarding the behind-the-scenes aspect of medical care. Chances are I will relate how the "behind-the-scenes" knowledge could translate into a more effective and safe patient care. The point is to exploit any and all of your marketable qualities in order to make yourself a better fit than the next person. Essentially, just boss up but convey it in a humble manner. As a caveat, I don't have killer board scores so I have to rely on the above-stated stuff. However, I think you will be good with the amount of research and presentations/posters.

Last edited:
I think I made the mistake of reading the SOAP 2017 thread, and seeing some great applicants go unmatched, which worried me.I'm applying to a ton of programs--80 programs--and hope to go on 17-18 interviews and rank all.

And no, I would primarily blame myself for the research failure--I struggle a lot with critical thinking, concentration, motivation, and that's what killed me more than anything else. It's going to be hard to explain though, especially as I really want a career in research.

My family is under the impression that I'm a shoe-in for the Harvard IM programs--no matter what I tell them--so when I match to a low tier university or community program it's going to be rough.

I think I made the mistake of reading the SOAP 2017 thread, and seeing some great applicants go unmatched, which worried me.I'm applying to a ton of programs--80 programs--and hope to go on 17-18 interviews and rank all.

And no, I would primarily blame myself for the research failure--I struggle a lot with critical thinking, concentration, motivation, and that's what killed me more than anything else. It's going to be hard to explain though, especially as I really want a career in research.

My family is under the impression that I'm a shoe-in for the Harvard IM programs--no matter what I tell them--so when I match to a low tier university or community program it's going to be rough.

Talk about what you learned and how you've addressed the weaknesses that made your research time unproductive (from a publications perspective). DO NOT worry about what anyone else thinks about where you are interviewing and/or where you match. In the end you will be a practicing physician. Do your best to get past these negative feelings about your path up till now. You'll need to believe in yourself in order for programs to believe that you'll be a good addition to their program.