No/Few II Venting Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cn795

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kinda felt like I need a place to vent my frustrations about having a grand total of ZERO interviews so far. Since the other "no-II" thread has devolved significantly.

Long time reader of sdn, currently applying w/ a LM of 71+, from a top UG, have a highly competitive post-grad scholarship (think Rhodes), a masters degree from a top school, lots of pubs and research, hundreds of clinical service/non clinical volunteer hrs, shadowing in multiple specialties, and LORs that I know for a fact are very strong. And yes, I was active on campus as a UG and had all the fluffy stuff you usually see in apps.

Applied to 35 schools by mid/late August, got secondaries from all the big "screen" schools like UCLA, UCSF, UCSD, Mayo etc. But currently have 3 holds and 3 rejections. Silence everywhere else, including my state uni. And no, I didn't even apply to the Harvard/Stanford/JHUs of the world before everyone starts asking "did you go too top heavy."

From an unlucky state (prob worse than CA tbh) and am ORM. Fml. I need a drink.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IA's? Felonies? Bad Personal statement?
No, no, and idk alot of people read it before hand and thought it was good.

Or bad LOR?
I'd be pretty surprised...everyone I had write one I've known for a LONG time and were very happy to do so.

Let's see your list, OP
Maybe in a few weeks, in a different thread. I'm not too keen on analyzing "what went wrong" just yet. This was just me needing to vent. But I based the list on MSAR stats. Didn't apply to any of the superstar schools. And picked only a few "OOS friendly" public schools.

Reactions: 1 user
how does someone with a rhodes/marshalls/gatescambridge and a LM 71 and volunteering not get any invites?

Fake news or terribly arrogant personal statement. I dont even think 1 bad LoR would sink your app. Would just make the writer look like a douchebag since you would clearly have to have had alot of people liking you to win one of those scholarships.

Reactions: 1 users
how does someone with a rhodes/marshalls/gatescambridge and a LM 71 and volunteering not get any invites?

Fake news or terribly arrogant personal statement. I dont even think 1 bad LoR would sink your app. Would just make the writer look like a douchebag since you would clearly have to have had alot of people liking you to win one of those scholarships.

LM 71 could be a 3.0 GPA and a 41 MCAT

I feel ya. I've gotten 3 IIs. I get that this process is long and patience is key, but it's hard not to think that my app isn't dead in the water at this point at the 18/19 schools I haven't heard from yet.

Reactions: 3 users
Ahh yes my people. Where I belong. No Its.

Reactions: 12 users
LM 71 could be a 3.0 GPA and a 41 MCAT
If he won a Rhodes tier scholarship, it would most likely be more like 3.8+ and 33+ mcat. Worst case 4.0 and 31 Mcat and with the EC's to win one of those scholarships I'd assume that even with a 4.0 and 31 he'd get a ton of interviews unless his list is like a bunch of UPenn, nyu, wash u's.

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't get accepted until May, no reason to worry yet

Members don't see this ad :)
If he won a Rhodes tier scholarship, it would most likely be more like 3.8+ and 33+ mcat. Worst case 4.0 and 31 Mcat and with the EC's to win one of those scholarships I'd assume that even with a 4.0 and 31 he'd get a ton of interviews unless his list is like a bunch of UPenn, nyu, wash u's.

Good point

Since people are interested I'm a balanced LM 71. Like 3.7-3.9, 33-35. If my cycle does end up bad I'll def make a more detailed thread and analyze further but rn just wanna sit and brood.

I wish I were kidding. I'm still hopeful though, there was a small LOR formatting issue that a few schools contacted me about in Sept. even though I was marked complete. Perhaps that held up review. Maybe I'll have better news by Turkey Day (fingers crossed).

Just wanted all you decent applicants out there sitting on none/very few II's to know that you've got a fellow sufferer here.

Honestly like what's the big deal can't they open up like 30 new medical schools so us poor, suffering students can just live out our earnest dreams.

Reactions: 4 users
Also on the low end here with just 1 II out of 26 schools. LizzyM is 75. Feels bad man :(

I will admit though that my list is a little top heavy but this is due to me being an international student, so these schools were the only schools that even considered me for admission. Feels extra bad man :(

Update. Got an II at a Top 20. But a hold from my (only) in-state campus. WTF.

Any thoughts on if a letter of interest/update is recommended for my IS school?

I have the same LM I didnt start getting IIs until 3 weeks ago and they've been random in school quality, only one IS school out of my 7...

I have the same LM I didnt start getting IIs until 3 weeks ago and they've been random in school quality, only one IS school out of my 7...

What is your state? I’ve gotten pretty much most of mine in the last 3 weeks. I’m up to 5.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

LM 70+, complete early august. 0 II's. (top heavy list :/) No red flags as far as I've assessed. :///// Its been rough!

Last edited:
OP: With your resume, if you don't get at least one acceptance I will eat my hat, a hat of your choosing, and a special bonus hat that can be yours for only $19.99 if you call in the next 30 minutes.

Reactions: 11 users
LM 70+, complete early august. 0 II's. (top heavy list :/) 2R's. No red flags as far as I've assessed. :///// Its been rough!
Got that 7th R today. go me
My brothers and sisters. I feel this. 4th R today from a school not ranked by USNWR but one that I actually wrote a lot of genuine interest about.

OP: With your resume, if you don't get at least one acceptance I will eat my hat, a hat of your choosing, and a special bonus hat that can be yours for only $19.99 if you call in the next 30 minutes.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Decided to send an update to my in-state school today, hopefully they'll take another look at my app before just rejecting everyone on pre-II hold.

It's not about the LM, it's about the fact that he's got a rhodes/marshalls/gates etc.

If it was just LM 71, then I'd say yeah he's got time to hear back. But with Rhodes/Marshalls/Gates, he's easily in the top 5-10% of applicants and should've heard back from some schools even in a top heavy list. As a lot of them ask you if you've received one of those scholarships. ( I think umich and duke and a few others) and most likely filter for them early on.

What are red flags?
If im not mistaken red flags are usually:

downward gpa trend
severely low mcat/gpa
bad LOR's
no ec's
crappy essays
mentioning the wrong school name in an essay

Not sure what else but I was complete early august and don't have any of these red flags and still have not yet received any II's. Sooo trying to remain patient but am more focused on prepping for next cycle!

Reactions: 4 users

downward gpa trend
severely low mcat/gpa
bad LOR's
no ec's
crappy essays

Not sure what else but I was complete early august and don't have any of these red flags and still have not yet received any II's. Sooo trying to remain patient but am more focused on prepping for next cycle!
Hmmm..the only downward GPA trend was my senior year, but that was because I was hospitalized for months and then my parent's divorce occurred. I retook those classes at CC.
Everything else is peachy.
I was complete late August too

downward gpa trend
severely low mcat/gpa
bad LOR's
no ec's
crappy essays

Just to add on:
IS/OOS residency status for state or public schools
Being international.

downward gpa trend
severely low mcat/gpa
bad LOR's
no ec's
crappy essays

Just to add on:
IS/OOS residency status for state or public schools
Being international

Some of these are not even red flags. They are more akin to death sentences.

Waitlisted at two schools lol Im a reapplicant and spent like $5000 this cycle lol please give me more interviews

Last edited:
Just being complete late will put you here, too... I've gotten a couple II, no acceptances but only one rejection so far. Most places I'm just "application complete" and nothing else, a few "under review" but that's it. It's frustrating. I don't know what's going to happen. I finished most of my secondaries in July - it's even more frustrating because I kept pestering my letter writers, but I wasn't complete until mid-September because of them.

Kind of feel like I need to do some application repair but I don't even know if it's necessary since most places haven't even looked at me yet...

crappy essays
How important are essays really? I imagine it's like as long as they're not complete garbage you're ok, yeah? And I don't suppose anyone's heard evidence of someone being pushed forward in the application process due to really good essays?

I was complete late August too
This could potentially be a big reason. This isn't late but it's not early, so it's possible you're IIs will come in the final wave of inviting people off of the hold lists

This could potentially be a big reason. This isn't late but it's not early, so it's possible you're IIs will come in the final wave of inviting people off of the hold lists
ahh so expect interviews later on in the season?

ahh so expect interviews later on in the season?
Lots of schools have interviews after December (at least they do for MD/PhD and my understanding is that you guys have way more interview dates than we do so I'm sure you do as well). If you've got complete radio silence from most of your schools, odds are you're legitimately on the hold list for at least some of them. From what I've seen from previous 2 years' invites, there's a third wave of invites that starts around mid November

I think an adcom on here said there's an AAMC conference or something early November so IIs get put on the backburner for a bit.

The conference ran from Nov 2 to Nov 6 in Boston. Another more pessimistic interpretation is that Rs get put on the backburner too.

Florida has been odd. I’m from Florida too and just not hearing from our state schools!

What's the story on FL publics. I personally know a FL applicant with good stats, good app, applied early, and hasn't received any IIs. Are FL publics notoriously slow? Do they first focus on high stats and UIMs? What's typical?

What's the story on FL publics. I personally know a FL applicant with good stats, good app, applied early, and hasn't received any IIs. Are FL publics notoriously slow? Do they first focus on high stats and UIMs? What's typical?

I have no idea - I have a low GPA, was complete mid to late August, and have been accepted to all the Florida state schools I applied to (but Miami clearly isn’t impressed). I’m not sure what they are looking for. Most have been focusing on a strong commitment to caring for patients. One wants high MCATs. Probably not UIM based on the other interviewees I’ve met. There’s nothing particularly stellar in my app, but it’s clear that I will succeed as a physician (many consistent years in the work force) - maybe they value that above other more tangible characteristics?

So are there 50% IIs left at thanksgiving or <10%? Im getting mixed info around the forum

The FL threads have all been relatively quiet. Not sure what it is-- the hurricane could have set them back a bit, but at this point it has to be something more. Maybe they're just always slow? Not sure.

I can see that. You're tried and true.

Can I ask when you rec'd your IIs from the FL publics?

I received USF’s within two weeks - I was complete there last but live close by and have taken classes at the undergrad.

UCF has a set process for how they process applications, so it was probably a full month - 15 days to EFI status, then another 2-3 weeks for II. Acceptance offered the day they said they would call. They are very straightforward about their process - they seem to give everyone a preliminary rank based on certain factors and send out IIs based on that (they also try to keep it balance make vs female each date as far as I could tell). Then everyone is ranked post-interview and the top 8-10 people are accepted each week or every other week. They’ll even tell you approximately wheee you are compared to other students.

I had an application issue at UF that I eventually took care of, so I got the II literally right after I changed my AMCAS application. The acceptance email came three days after the interview (they contact everyone the same day like UCF - refreshing). They take their secondary responses seriously and are fairly mission driven, so that could make a difference in getting accepted there.

I hope that helps! I only applied to Miami as well (I’ve been ranked for two months - probably won’t be interviewed I suppose) and Mayo AZ and MN 2+2 - rejected from those.