No FM LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc331

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm reapplying to the match from pathology. How much of a deal breaker will it be to not have an FM LOR? I worked with one FM physician during med school and she's now missing in action. My other option would have been the person who wrote my dean's letter. They're not able to write the dean's /MSPE letter and an LOR so now I'm out of luck.

So far I've secured an IM letter from med school. I'm planning to ask my current PD for one as well. I'm not sure who to ask after that. I could probably ask a transfusion physician. That's the closest to clinical medicine that we get.

I've reached out to the FM program at my institution for opportunities to get involved and they don't have any. I even reached out to the local free clinic. Getting another FM letter is not looking good.

I should be pretty competitive for FM otherwise.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're sincere and show a genuine interest in what we do in your personal statement, I think you'll be ok. Obviously, the no LOR from a fam doc will be a knock but if the rest of your application is good, I don't think you'll have any issues.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're sincere and show a genuine interest in what we do in your personal statement, I think you'll be ok. Obviously, the no LOR from a fam doc will be a knock but if the rest of your application is good, I don't think you'll have any issues.
Thanks for the reassurance. I'm going through the program websites to see who actually requires it. There are only a few so far that state it outright.

Last edited: