NO funding???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knights24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone tell me if I am crazy,

I interview at two schools. One of them I LOVED and it is everything I ever wanted in a PhD program - I was waitlisted there.

One of them didn't sit right with me regarding city, atmosphere, students, and especially the program itself - the interview went really well and I would not be surprised if I got accepted, but really can't see myself going...

The POI at the school I loved and was waitlisted at informed me that he is waiting on additional funding for another slot, and would let me know if it opened up. My question is this:

If the funding is NOT available, and I get rejected, is it appropiate (or feasible) to ask if I can attend the first year without funding???

While I realize I will have to pay all of tuition and fees (as well as living expenses), I am actually considering this because it would be in-state tuition, and I'm not worried about an additional year of student loans (hell I've done them long enough!). Also, the school I didn't like is private, out-of-state, and only promises one year of funding - so I'd be paying A LOT more even if I went there.

Of course, I would need funding my second year on (which is the norm there), which I have no idea would be possible...

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Someone tell me if I am crazy,

I interview at two schools. One of them I LOVED and it is everything I ever wanted in a PhD program - I was waitlisted there.

One of them didn't sit right with me regarding city, atmosphere, students, and especially the program itself - the interview went really well and I would not be surprised if I got accepted, but really can't see myself going...

The POI at the school I loved and was waitlisted at informed me that he is waiting on additional funding for another slot, and would let me know if it opened up. My question is this:

If the funding is NOT available, and I get rejected, is it appropiate (or feasible) to ask if I can attend the first year without funding???

While I realize I will have to pay all of tuition and fees (as well as living expenses), I am actually considering this because it would be in-state tuition, and I'm not worried about an additional year of student loans (hell I've done them long enough!). Also, the school I didn't like is private, out-of-state, and only promises one year of funding - so I'd be paying A LOT more even if I went there.

Of course, I would need funding my second year on (which is the norm there), which I have no idea would be possible...

Thanks for your help.

It's possible--I actually asked a similar question of my current advisor way back when I was initially wait-listed while applying to grad school. The summation of his response was that while he would take me on as a student, and would attempt to find funding the following year, he didn't recommend my taking that path. I was fortunate in that a funded spot opened up, but had that not occurred, I personally would've taken a year off and given the application cycle another go.

All in all, it likely will depend on the program, and especially on the professor. It has happened before, though.