No "General Chemistry II" offered

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

caramilk222222

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took gen chem I at my first school and then transferred schools straight into orgo. My current school does not offer gen chem II, they only have the first one. They have upper year non-organic type chem classes with lab like descriptive inorganic chem, physical and analytical. Would I be able to take second year descriptive inorganic chem with lab to meet the requirements for most medical schools?
I tried looking this up but couldn't find a clear answer.
Thanks!
 
That should meet the requirements yes! You usually need 1 year of college-level XYZ with lab, not necessarily the introductory year. So taking Inorganic Chem I + some upper levels with labs should have you covered
 
Actually, they usually say general chemistry usually followed by organic and biochem. However, in the a school that doesnt offer it as a standard sequence, may use the older analytical and quantitative style of courses. In the end, the OP should check with the campus advisor as one of things they usually know is which courses at their school fulfill the requirement
I don't recall seeing any when I applied that phrased it as "general bio 1 and 2" rather than "1 year of college biology with lab" but I had a limited list
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Inorganic chemistry is synonymous with gen Chem haha
That varies between schools. Inorganic chemistry is a broad subdiscipline which often gets its own class (or multiple classes) focusing a lot on transition metals, semiconductors, coordination complexes, crystal structure, etc.
 
Are you sure it's not called inorganic or physical (!) chemistry? At my school gen chem 2 comes after orgo and is called something much different (and is the most brutal of the prereqs.....)