No graphing calculator?

Algophiliac

Someday...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to get through freshman year of college without a graphing calculator, even if I'm taking subjects such as calculus or chemistry? I found both subjects to be easier with the use of a calculator, but quite possible with just a scientific calculator as well. The reason is I simply do not have the money to purchase a graphing calculator right now, and I've been checking one out from the high school for free. Does such a free or otherwise rental service exist at colleges?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about renting one, but you can definitely get by without one. Most of my teachers wouldn't let us use them because you could store formulas and such.

Members don't see this ad :)
My calc class in high school requires a graphing calculator to take the class. There are some things you just can't do without the use of calculated graphs and tables. You could definitely wait and see what your college professors have to say about this, but it always helps to know how to use a graphing calculator before hand.

I really have no choice in the matter. :( My ****** parents control the budget, and no is no. Perhaps if I find a job on campus early enough, I can earn enough money to purchase a calculator without getting too far behind. However, I found that calculators were not really necessary for either subject, so I'm not sure why your high school requires them, Gallix23.

I really have no choice in the matter. :( My ****** parents control the budget, and no is no. Perhaps if I find a job on campus early enough, I can earn enough money to purchase a calculator without getting too far behind. However, I found that calculators were not really necessary for either subject, so I'm not sure why your high school requires them, Gallix23.

It's not so much my school as it is my psycho teacher, who went on a rant about kids not having them and even declared that she'd lend everyone the money for them.... hahah just hope you don't have a teacher like that and you'll be set ;)

Have you looked into buying one used maybe? I never really thought about it, but maybe you could get a used one cheap?

I have never needed or owned a graphing calculator, and I got through Calculus 3 with no problem. Many of your courses will require you to have a basic scientific calculator anyway, and you won't be permitted to bring a graphing calculator into exams. So it serves you better to buy a scientific calculator and get used to using it.

I generally recommend that if you are going to be taking more than one semester of physical science, a good graphing calculator is worth the expense. I also highly recommend the TI-89 if you will be taking Calc II and or multivariable calc.

If you don't want to incur the expense, make sure you get a scientific calculator that shows the entered statement as well as the solution, that way you can check yourself. I can't tell you how many careless errors stem from entering the numbers incorrectly and writing down the answer.

Have you looked into buying one used maybe? I never really thought about it, but maybe you could get a used one cheap?

Possibly. The only problem I see with this is the cheap graphing calculators will most likely only be available online, and well...I have no credit card or debit card with which to purchase online products. For those of you still recommending I buy whatever fancy new TI calculator is out, I am parentally prevented from doing so. It is not a matter of me being ridiculously cheap, trust me. I love graphing calculators and if it were up to me, I'd definitely buy one.

I do have a great scientific calculator that I have used often and am quite used to, Klemptor. :) Am I really at a terrible disadvantage?

*cough* eBay *cough*

Seriously. You don't need to spend a lot of money--I got my TI-83 for $15, and I'll bet there's a TI-89 on there somewhere for a pretty good price, too.

Drop the 200 bucks the TI-89 Titanium.

I just did and I will never regret it. I payed for it myself. Got a 3 year warranty. It does pretty much everything.

Get one.

*cough* eBay *cough*

Seriously. You don't need to spend a lot of money--I got my TI-83 for $15, and I'll bet there's a TI-89 on there somewhere for a pretty good price, too.

I can guarantee you can find an older version TI-89 for less than 100 bucks on ebay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Possibly. The only problem I see with this is the cheap graphing calculators will most likely only be available online, and well...I have no credit card or debit card with which to purchase online products. For those of you still recommending I buy whatever fancy new TI calculator is out, I am parentally prevented from doing so. It is not a matter of me being ridiculously cheap, trust me. I love graphing calculators and if it were up to me, I'd definitely buy one.

I do have a great scientific calculator that I have used often and am quite used to, Klemptor. :) Am I really at a terrible disadvantage?

My opinion (YMMV) is that you are actually at an advantage if you use only a scientific calculator - it forces you to be able to reason for yourself what a graph would/should look like, rather than pressing a button to see it. So I think you should be golden. :)

Okkkkkaaaaay, Tib. How can I go about getting one online without my parents finding out?

My opinion (YMMV) is that you are actually at an advantage if you use only a scientific calculator - it forces you to be able to reason for yourself what a graph would/should look like, rather than pressing a button to see it. So I think you should be golden. :)

Haha, thanks! I never really appreciated this statement until halfway through senior year of high school actually. My chemistry and calculus teachers were both slightly anti-calculator and never let us use even a scientific one during any test at all. We're only now having calculator review sessions to teach us some basic tips and tricks, and I definitely think this way of teaching class has improved my understanding and reasoning. :)

Okkkkkaaaaay, Tib. How can I go about getting one online without my parents finding out?

You can't, unless you have your own credit card.

Dude, I posted a link to a But it now auction on ebay. Seriously, shop around, it isn't that hard to find a TI-89 for under 100. I don't know why your parents won't buy you one.

Actually, no, I can. Because I had to buy my TI-89.

If you don't have 200 dollars to drop on the Titanium, just get the older ones. Buy it yourself. Give your parents 60-70 bucks and ask if you can use their credit card.

EDIT: Dude, check out the link, seriously. 100% positive feedback, FREE shipping, no sales tax. Just 60 bucks. You can't beat that.

What, your parents have banned you from buying a calculator? Seriously?

If it's your money, what's the problem?

You can't, unless you have your own credit card.

Dude, I posted a link to a But it now auction on ebay. Seriously, shop around, it isn't that hard to find a TI-89 for under 100. I don't know why your parents won't buy you one.

Actually, no, I can. Because I had to buy my TI-89.

If you don't have 200 dollars to drop on the Titanium, just get the older ones. Buy it yourself. Give your parents 60-70 bucks and ask if you can use their credit card.

*sighs* They won't let me, Jeff. My family dynamic is difficult to explain, but we're not on good--or any, really--terms at all. If I had my way, I'd never go back to them ever again.

On another note, I heard it was a bad idea to get a credit card once you get into college, but...:(

It's a bad idea if you're irresponsible with money. Once you rack up bad credit, it never goes away, and that's something that you'd have to live with for the rest of your life--and believe me, I know a lot of kids who shouldn't be allowed within a fifty mile radius of a credit card. On the other hand, I've had a credit card for over two years now, pay my bill every month, and as a result am building up great credit for myself.

You should seriously consider getting one, in both respects of the phrase. It isn't a decision to be made lightly, but being allowed control over your own finances is, well, kind of necessary? I dunno. I'm a very independent spirit, so maybe I'm just used to having a wide margin of freedom and liking it, but you're an adult now. You have some rights. Use 'em.

It's a bad idea if you're irresponsible with money. Once you rack up bad credit, it never goes away, and that's something that you'd have to live with for the rest of your life--and believe me, I know a lot of kids who shouldn't be allowed within a fifty mile radius of a credit card. On the other hand, I've had a credit card for over two years now, pay my bill every month, and as a result am building up great credit for myself.

You should seriously consider getting one, in both respects of the phrase. It isn't a decision to be made lightly, but being allowed control over your own finances is, well, kind of necessary? I dunno. I'm a very independent spirit, so maybe I'm just used to having a wide margin of freedom and liking it, but you're an adult now. You have some rights. Use 'em.

Haha, I have absolutely no clue how a credit card works or how to obtain excellent credit scores. :) I do believe I am quite responsible with money and will pay all bills on time, though, and yes--I need financial control. I am assuming I will be able to obtain a credit card without parental consent? :rolleyes: Or would a debit card be wiser, as it does not use borrowed money?

If you're over 18, yes, you can get your own credit card. Debit cards are good, because you won't spend money that you don't have--that's actually probably the better way to go, considering. Do you have your own bank account? If not, get one. If you have one, make sure it isn't a joint-control custodial account.

Go up to the bank one day and talk to someone about it--they'll be glad to explain to you how a credit card works, how you earn credit, how CDs and interest rates work, etc., etc. It's really important knowledge to have, especially if you're going to be on your own.

EDIT: Dude, check out the link, seriously. 100% positive feedback, FREE shipping, no sales tax. Just 60 bucks. You can't beat that.

lol.. sounds you are the seller :D

If you're over 18, yes, you can get your own credit card. Debit cards are good, because you won't spend money that you don't have--that's actually probably the better way to go, considering. Do you have your own bank account? If not, get one. If you have one, make sure it isn't a joint-control custodial account.

Go up to the bank one day and talk to someone about it--they'll be glad to explain to you how a credit card works, how you earn credit, how CDs and interest rates work, etc., etc. It's really important knowledge to have, especially if you're going to be on your own.

The only bank account I have is one under parental control, so I'm assuming that's what you meant. I can technically open another one without closing the first, correct? Or maybe even open another account at an entirely different bank?

I will most likely start off with a debit card until I can get a stable source of income. :) Something tells me credit cards without a constant job is a really bad idea. And thanks for the talking to someone at the bank tip!

If it's under parental control, do you mean that you can't access the money? Only your parents can deposit/withdraw money from it? Because when you turn 18, you're not allowed to have custodial accounts any longer, and the bank should be giving someone a call to say, "Hey, you've got to close this account." That's when you open up a new account and transfer your money into that one.

You can open as many different accounts as you want, anywhere you want, as far as I'm aware. Make sure to pick a bank that has a location near whatever college you're going to, though!

If it's under parental control, do you mean that you can't access the money? Only your parents can deposit/withdraw money from it? Because when you turn 18, you're not allowed to have custodial accounts any longer, and the bank should be giving someone a call to say, "Hey, you've got to close this account." That's when you open up a new account and transfer your money into that one.

You can open as many different accounts as you want, anywhere you want, as far as I'm aware. Make sure to pick a bank that has a location near whatever college you're going to, though!

I believe so, yes. That someone is my parental unit, I take it? Jolly. So basically I already have an account I don't know about?! Or are my parents not allowed to open an account for me without my consent?

Thanks, Tib! I hope this all works out.

I don't know who it is, actually--I've been 18 for two months, and I've yet to get a phone call. I just know that technically, I'm supposed to close my custodial account and transfer the money to my own account--I'm just too lazy to go through the process of changing my direct deposit at work and my automatic credit card and car insurance payments. If you go to the bank and ask them, they'll tell you the status of your account, what you can and can't do (this depends on whether or not it's a joint account--if it is, then both you and your parents have access to it, and if it's not, then only your parents can touch it), and whether or not you need to close it.

If you're 18 (I keep saying this, because I have no idea whether or not you are), then your parents aren't allowed to open an account in your name without your signature on the papers.

Every class I've ever had in undergrad did not allow graphing calculators to be used. Take this for what it's worth though, as I'm not a physics or engineering major.

Having said that, it sounds like you have other issues OP. If you're 18 and college-bound, it's time to leave the parents at home.

I could never use a graphing calculator for chem or bio. You should get a Ti-crap for those classes. You don't really need it for calculus, but it's useful.

You do not NEED a calculator... you will be at no disadvantage if you don't have one...

Are you over 18? If so, you definitely want to open up your own bank account (banks usually offer accounts specifically tailored to college students, look around your school) and you also want to get your own credit card (although of course, in today's credit climate, this is not as easy as it once was). You should try to get as much independence from your parents as possible, especially if you guys don't get along as well.

You can get Virtual TI for free. Install the program and find a copy of the TI-83 plus ROM.

It takes a bit of computer savvy and a possibly illegal torrent for the ROM, but at least you have it on your computer. Not nearly as handy as a calculator, but it does the same thing.

Every class I've ever had in undergrad did not allow graphing calculators to be used. Take this for what it's worth though, as I'm not a physics or engineering major.

Having said that, it sounds like you have other issues OP. If you're 18 and college-bound, it's time to leave the parents at home.

If someone can suggest some ideas for what I can do over winter break in terms of housing, I'll never have to see them again. :) And yes, I am 18.

I suppose I will have to begin without one, and if the course requires it, find some way to obtain a calculator later on in the semester.

DLi, thanks for the program recommendation!

You can get by without it for calc. I would say it would be a luxury more than a necessity. Instead of telling you what you can have, they tell you what you can't have (i.e. my calc prof would rip our exams to shreds if they saw us using an 89). As for chem, the profs will most likely have a list of required scientific calculators, but they're probably less than $10 at Wal-Mart.

EDIT: I was just reading my calc 2 syllabus from Autumn qtr and it says "Calculators are permitted (but not required - see below) during exams, except those calculators [shows a list of calculators]...

There are at least two reasons for this policy:

1. It is unfair to students who can't afford to buy such calculators.
2. Proper use of such calculators requires extensive training, which we cannot provide due to time and other constraints."

It's time to cut the umbilical cord, OP. Just go plan a trip out of town with some friends over break. Good grief.

Last edited:
It will depend on the school you attend and the classes and the professors. Call and ask if one is required for the courses you plan to take. If you can't get an answer, ask to be transferred to the dept heads for those dept. Back it up with a polite email. They were required for some of my classes, and no matter how good you were, you wouldn't have the time to complete some exams without them (and others they weren't allowed.)

I just remembered--my CC has a rental program. I think it's a dollar for a week, and twenty for the whole semester, and you can get either a TI-30 or a TI-83. I don't know if other colleges have this, but mine does...

You can get by without one. On another note, is anyone else disappointed by the TI NSPIRE. I bought one cuz I thought it would be awesome, but its really just a glorified 84. I love my 89.

I just remembered--my CC has a rental program. I think it's a dollar for a week, and twenty for the whole semester, and you can get either a TI-30 or a TI-83. I don't know if other colleges have this, but mine does...

Ooo, interesting. I will ask around when I get on campus for orientation, then. I think most colleges should have this, just not in plain view. It took a bit of searching around to find the opportunity in high school as well.

Never mind the graphing calculators--they are totally unnecessary for college courses. Just get a good scientific calculator, like the HP-33s. It does everything except graph and has 40 physics constants programmed in. I got mine for about $35 on buy.com.