no honors third year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

softball2344

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A dear friend of mine in med school had straight passes in 3rd year, and he matched in IM in CA. He might not have gotten interviews at the top programs, but he still matched without issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine - there are plenty of students who don't honor everything, and they manage to match without difficulty. Especially with something like IM, I doubt you'll have any major difficulties.

A dear friend of mine in med school had straight passes in 3rd year, and he matched in IM in CA. He might not have gotten interviews at the top programs, but he still matched without issue.
Do you mind if I ask if it was a decent program? Don't care about top programs but was hoping to leave some fellowship opportunities open like pulm or rheum

Do you mind if I ask if it was a decent program? Don't care about top programs but was hoping to leave some fellowship opportunities open like pulm or rheum
Rheum isnt too competitive at all. PCC is a little competitive but regardless I dont think you need a top IM program for either of those. Pretty sure matching at a program with those in house fellowships would be a decent idea though

I didn’t match into IM myself, so I can’t estimate the tier of the program- I think it was decent enough, though.

Unless you're hoping to match into a top program in a competitive specialty, I really wouldn't worry about this. There are plenty of other ways to make your application stand out. None of my interviewers have even referred to my clerkship grades on the interview trail.