No IIs - Reapplying Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fl0ridaman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There's a lot of schools that would fit you, especially if you emphasize the narratives in your application. I also wouldn't sweat the LORs not in medicine thing - none of my LORs were.

There are many OOS-friendly public and private schools you could go for (several of these are low yield)

VCU
EVMS
Cooper/Rowan
Georgetown
Temple
SLU
MCW
Vermont
Hackensack Meridian
Creighton
NYMC
Albany

Reactions: 1 user
Make sure you’re applying to schools with missions that actually fit your application and character. That’s a big part of the application process. I only applied to one school and got accepted to it. Also make sure your personal statement is as powerful as possible and truly shows who you are as a person.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There's a lot of schools that would fit you, especially if you emphasize the narratives in your application. I also wouldn't sweat the LORs not in medicine thing - none of my LORs were.

There are many OOS-friendly public and private schools you could go for (several of these are low yield)

VCU
EVMS
Cooper/Rowan
Georgetown
Temple
SLU
MCW
Vermont
Hackensack Meridian
Creighton
NYMC
Albany
I appreciate the list! I'll definitely look into them for when I reapply.

Make sure you’re applying to schools with missions that actually fit your application and character. That’s a big part of the application process. I only applied to one school and got accepted to it. Also make sure your personal statement is as powerful as possible and truly shows who you are as a person.
I think this might've been my biggest mistake. I was banking on my IS schools however only several of them had missions that really aligned with my application and goals. I'll definitely add more schools next cycle that I'm a clearer mission-fit for

I appreciate the list! I'll definitely look into them for when I reapply.

I think this might've been my biggest mistake. I was banking on my IS schools however only several of them had missions that really aligned with my application and goals. I'll definitely add more schools next cycle that I'm a clearer mission-fit for
Could you better explain what your goals are (or how this was described in your application)?

Could you better explain what your goals are (or how this was described in your application)?
Most of my experiences and research has been with underserved communities so that was a big focus in my application. I also grew in that setting so it's something really personal to me. But in my application I emphasized my personal experiences and the opportunities it led me to pursue. It sounds a bit cliché but my main goal is to pursue medicine to improve access to healthcare for underserved communities and work towards limiting the disadvantages they face. Do you have any recommendations on schools that might appreciate my experiences in public health and working in these settings? Or at least value it enough to overlook my subpar GPA.

One thing I think my PS and essays lacked were anecdotes. It seems like most great PS have a strong anecdote that really "shows" something about the writer but I just couldn't really think of anything like that at the time. I have anecdotes but nothing including dialogue or very descriptive of the scenario. Mine might've been too cut and dry

With the clinic experience hours you documented, you shouldn't have had a problem with anecdotes. I also don't think there is a mission mismatch if serving underserved communities is your goal. Florida schools definitely will have opportunities with public health (unless the state government messed that up in the past year), so I'm not sure we hit the issue with your application.

With the clinic experience hours you documented, you shouldn't have had a problem with anecdotes. I also don't think there is a mission mismatch if serving underserved communities is your goal. Florida schools definitely will have opportunities, so I'm not sure we hit the issue.
The main anecdote I used in my PS was more about my parent passing away. My problem with anecdotes was not exactly knowing which one to pick since there were a lot of moments and issues I could mention. I'd probably just pick one and go with it next time.

Do you think my GPA (and multiple W's) is hurting my chances? Also would completing in September-October hurt my chances considering I'm ORM w/ these stats?

The main anecdote I used in my PS was more about my parent passing away. My problem with anecdotes was not exactly knowing which one to pick since there were a lot of moments and issues I could mention. I'd probably just pick one and go with it next time.

Do you think my GPA (and multiple W's) is hurting my chances? Also would completing in September-October hurt my chances considering I'm ORM w/ these stats?
This may be a bit personal, but we're you able to relate your parents passing to your goals in medicine? Like following their death you connected the experience with your clinic work with the homeless or undeserved with this new perspective? I think a lot of students think they need to add a sad story to their app to make it pop, but without mentioning adversity and how it helped you decide on medicine I think a lot of adcoms see it as a guilt-trip.

Last edited:
This may be a bit personal, but we're you able to relate your parents passing to your goals in medicine? Like following their death you connected the experience with your clinic work with the homeless or undeserved with this new perspective? I think a lot of students think they need to add a sad story to their app to make it pop, but without mentioning adversity and how it helped you decide on medicine I think a lot of adcoms see it as a guilt-trip.
I did, I talked about our lack of healthcare and barriers we faced that prevented us from receiving the care needed which eventually led to health issues (which also let me touched on the health issues I faced during undergrad that tanked my grades). I tried to stay away from throwing a pity party or making excuses though so I definitely connected it with my volunteering and experiences

I will agree that timing didn't help you. So we know that you need to submit early next time for sure (June to July).

How many people read your PS and essays before submitting? How much networking with your schools did you do before submitting your application?

I will agree that timing didn't help you. So we know that you need to submit early next time for sure (June to July).

How many people read your PS and essays before submitting? How much networking with your schools did you do before submitting your application?
I had about 8-10 people read it. I didn't have any doctors or admissions faculty read it though, mostly my friends who are in medical, dental, graduate schools. Also two professors that wrote me LORs. For the networking, I honestly didn't do much recently. I attended the virtual fair once and asked several questions at some of my top IS schools but nothing extremely meaningful. Do you have any advice on how I can improve in that area? I'll definitely aim for a June-July complete date next cycle now that I'm more familiar with the process

As you describe it here, you have a coherent narrative, so a single anecdote isn't necessary. You can describe your experiences with working with the underserved without having to use "one pivotal moment".

I think the two most important things will be applying earlier and more broadly. The benefit to being complete in July versus October is substantial (especially at schools line Drexel and GWU both of which tend to have earlier cycles.)

In addition, I believe that 18 schools (a handful of which are low yield) is not enough for most applicants these days. I know that the fee assistance program covers 20 schools, but most schools will give you a secondary fee waiver regardless of whether the primary designation was covered by the program.

Although I do believe that it is prescient to begin preparing for another application cycle, don’t give up on this one either. At least two of the schools on your list have been booking interviews two weeks in advance and still have a good amount of invites to send before the cycle is over.

Best of luck with this cycle, but even if it doesn’t end up like you expected, I believe that a few tweaks (apply earlier, add more schools) could yield better results next year.

I would suggest applying to Vermont, which is rural and has programs that fit your mission. Also look at UMass PURCH program, although your stats are below average.

Current M4 student with tons of experience advising pre-meds on application strategy and application review. I also sat on my schools admissions committee. Feel free to send a DM and we can talk further