No IM sub-I letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southwestpremed06

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are sub-I LORs necessary for IM? This sub-I scheduling thing didn't go as planned and my earliest sub-I right now is mid September. The ones I applied for are full or they offered me later dates because the early months are full. The only reason I'm doing these sub-Is now is to get to work with the PD/residents and get my foot in the door at the program since they will be too late for letters.

I have an LOR from my 3rd year clerkship attending for IM. I was hoping to secure a sub-I for July and August but no luck so far. I'm planning on doing subspecialty electives (independent doctors not academic) for those months and getting LORs from there instead. How bad is this? I know specialties like EM are gung-ho on aways for SLOEs but is this necessary for IM?

I go to a DO school so everything sucks since we have no home program

Members don't see this ad.

It helps a lot. Especially shows you've done a good job working with residents in an academic environment where there is presumably rounding, didactics, etc. The biggest challenge with DO programs is that a lot of DO apps will simply not have that background. That's where the Sub-I from good solid program can show that you're not a slop who got by borderline shadowing.

That being said as a DO your USMLE is also going to do a lot of the talking as well. If you have a 230 to 240 you'll get looks in midtier without it.

So no. it's not necessary. But if you want to go to a university tier program or a solid communiversity program they become increasing more important.

If your SubI will be in Sept, you might want to submit three LOR's and save a 4th slot. Then, when you complete the SubI you can get a letter and add it. You can mention the Sub I in your app (in the experiences section) and state that you'll be submitting a letter once it's complete.

Or not. It;s your choice.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If your SubI will be in Sept, you might want to submit three LOR's and save a 4th slot. Then, when you complete the SubI you can get a letter and add it. You can mention the Sub I in your app (in the experiences section) and state that you'll be submitting a letter once it's complete.

Or not. It;s your choice.
That was my plan. But a lot of my programs (including my top program) only want 3 LORs. I suppose an extra letter wouldn't hurt? The sub-I ends mid-October, so do I give them a month to get it done or should I just beg them to get it in ASAP?

It helps a lot. Especially shows you've done a good job working with residents in an academic environment where there is presumably rounding, didactics, etc. The biggest challenge with DO programs is that a lot of DO apps will simply not have that background. That's where the Sub-I from good solid program can show that you're not a slop who got by borderline shadowing.

That being said as a DO your USMLE is also going to do a lot of the talking as well. If you have a 230 to 240 you'll get looks in midtier without it.

So no. it's not necessary. But if you want to go to a university tier program or a solid communiversity program they become increasing more important.

What if my third-year clerkship was in a hospital where residents at an academic medical center rotated (not their main hospital but they're required to have rotations there)? Worked with residents, presented, did noon conferences and all that stuff. My third year IM letter would be from there.

Reactions: 1 user
What if my third-year clerkship was in a hospital where residents at an academic medical center rotated (not their main hospital but they're required to have rotations there)? Worked with residents, presented, did noon conferences and all that stuff. My third year IM letter would be from there.

I'd say that's still a pretty solid LOR if it speaks well of you. Is it as good as a LOR from University of X? No. But it'll still carry weight.