No interview club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDSMomma

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
With all the excitement of first round acceptances going out tomorrow, I'm feeling pretty discouraged because I have not gotten any interviews. I know I'm not the only one, so I figured we could use a little solidarity. Feel free to post your stats or not, it's a judgment-free zone! :highfive:

GPA: 3.39
DAT: 18
Schools applied: Texas only
Non-traditional

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Received 1 interview invite for post December!
GPA 3.0
DAT 22

Members don't see this ad :)
With all the excitement of first round acceptances going out tomorrow, I'm feeling pretty discouraged because I have not gotten any interviews. I know I'm not the only one, so I figured we could use a little solidarity. Feel free to post your stats or not, it's a judgment-free zone! :highfive:

Non-traditional
Don’t worry, I’m in the same boat. Just trying to stay positive!

Reactions: 1 user
Applied to 12 schools, 0 interviews, 1 rejection, 1 continuing review, from my state school. My application is weird, horrible grades from art school a decade ago(that tanked my GPA) then worked as a pastry chef, decided to change careers, originally when to hygiene school(straight A's) then the school went bankrupt and closed. Then decided that I would prefer to work hard and get the dream job of dentist. Here's hoping for post dec interviews!!!!!!!!
GPA:2.9
SGPA:3.35
AA/TS;20

Non-traditional

I'm in the EXACT same boat almost. Texas resident, applied to all Texas schools (plus a few), haven't heard anything (good or bad). Do you know if the Texas schools have sent out any rejections?

As I now have an interview for my state school(UMKC) I guess I'm no longer in the "club" but KEEP ON TRYING!!!! If I have a chance anyone does!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in the EXACT same boat almost. Texas resident, applied to all Texas schools (plus a few), haven't heard anything (good or bad). Do you know if the Texas schools have sent out any rejections?
I have heard A&M sent a few rejections, but it seems only OOS applicants so far.

As I now have an interview for my state school(UMKC) I guess I'm no longer in the "club" but KEEP ON TRYING!!!! If I have a chance anyone does!!!!
Congrats! I know a lot of people who went to UMKC! My ex's uncle is on the admissions board there. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Still nothing here.. haven’t gotten a rejection in awhile and am waiting to hear back from quite a few schools still.. like 10+.. is there still hope?

Still nothing here.. haven’t gotten a rejection in awhile and am waiting to hear back from quite a few schools still.. like 10+.. is there still hope?
in the same boat here...2 rejections, complete silence from 12 others...I may start to look into a plan B although I know its technically not over yet.

Got my "you suck"/ no more interviews from the only school I can actually attend and the other two are silent. I'm broke from applying, will need to obviously retake my DAT, and am incredibly discouraged. For all the talk of wanting a diverse group, the stats at the schools I applied to show otherwise. Still hoping next cycle will be better because I have no backup plan and getting too old to do something that gets me anywhere climbing the corporate ladder, which isn't what I want to be doing anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
Got my "you suck"/ no more interviews from the only school I can actually attend and the other two are silent. I'm broke from applying, will need to obviously retake my DAT, and am incredibly discouraged. For all the talk of wanting a diverse group, the stats at the schools I applied to show otherwise. Still hoping next cycle will be better because I have no backup plan and getting too old to do something that gets me anywhere climbing the corporate ladder, which isn't what I want to be doing anyway.
Retake the test and knock it out of the park. No secret formula, just make sacrifices and study. You can do this. Hope to see you as a marticulated student come 2020. Keep us updated!

Reactions: 2 users
good luck and really do well on the DAT! rooting for you!

@DDSMomma I don't want to kick while you're down but A&M is pretty diverse ethnically, not when it comes to age. If you notice only 9 students between the 2017 and 2018 admits were over 30. I think you can crush the DAT next time around and I'm sure you have plenty of experiences that make you unique compared to the younger applicants. All it takes is one interview. Maybe try calling and asking how you can improve your app for next cycle?

Reactions: 3 users
Rejected from every school I applied to without even managing to get my foot in the door to a single school. That’s a superior level of suckage. Doesn’t help me feel motivated to work hard in my classes if it just means failure in the end. I was really hoping I wasn’t the only one on here, but the lack of solidarity/ willingness to speak up/ whatever honestly makes this feel worse than it should,

Rejected from every school I applied to without even managing to get my foot in the door to a single school. That’s a superior level of suckage. Doesn’t help me feel motivated to work hard in my classes if it just means failure in the end. I was really hoping I wasn’t the only one on here, but the lack of solidarity/ willingness to speak up/ whatever honestly makes this feel worse than it should,

I’m sorry to hear that. Have you contacted admissions prior to applying?

Trust me, I have been there. I know how it feel. I know you feel like giving up, but use your kids as motivation to keep pushing. I bet if you improve you DAT to at least 20AA, schools will take notice. You almost there, only a few more hurdles to jump over and you got it. Good luck.

I’m sorry to hear that. Have you contacted admissions prior to applying?
I did their prospective students day the last two years and spoke with the admissions secretary when I submitted my DAT.

I also sent handwritten thank you notes to the coordinators and admissions head after each event. I don’t think it’s from not coming across my name.

Call and ask what you can do to improve your application for next cycle. They like this.

Yes, it's discouraging but don't give up! The most you can do is to prepare yourself for the next cycle.
1) Retake the DAT - Don't rush yourself either. Give yourself time. Maybe try to re-take by June, the latest if needed.
2) GPA - If you finished up classes at your local community college, maybe you should try online classes (UCB Extension thru the Post-Bacc Program - You don't need to apply to take the courses, but it can be pricey but it can be worth it in the end).

Have you tried applying the post-bacc program for one of the texas school? I know it's only for residents of Texas, so try that!

Good luck!

Yes, it's discouraging but don't give up! The most you can do is to prepare yourself for the next cycle.
1) Retake the DAT - Don't rush yourself either. Give yourself time. Maybe try to re-take by June, the latest if needed.
2) GPA - If you finished up classes at your local community college, maybe you should try online classes (UCB Extension thru the Post-Bacc Program - You don't need to apply to take the courses, but it can be pricey but it can be worth it in the end).

Have you tried applying the post-bacc program for one of the texas school? I know it's only for residents of Texas, so try that!

Good luck!
Ah, I just realized that the deadline was yesterday (11th) :(

Post Baccalaureate Program

They
Call and ask what you can do to improve your application for next cycle. They like this.
I know exactly what they will tell me. DAT of 21 and get my grades up. I have 2500+ volunteer hours, shadow hours, dental experience, and life experience. What I don’t have is the time to get perfect grades or study for the DAT like it’s my job. Even when I submitted my DAT to the school she said the average for admission was a 21.5 and I only got an 18.

Good luck!
I applied for postbacc and summer programs. Haven’t heard back from either and don’t know how I’d pay for the postbacc since my financial aid ran out last year.

They

I know exactly what they will tell me. DAT of 21 and get my grades up. I have 2500+ volunteer hours, shadow hours, dental experience, and life experience. What I don’t have is the time to get perfect grades or study for the DAT like it’s my job. Even when I submitted my DAT to the school she said the average for admission was a 21.5 and I only got an 18.
If you are unwilling to retake the DAT, you definitely should add more schools to your list. School like ASDOH, UNE, MOSDOH, and other private schools like applicants with life experience. You are setting yourself up for failures again if you are limiting yourself to only texas schools. Either retake or add more schools.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
If you are unwilling to retake the DAT, you definitely should add more schools to your list. School like ASDOH, UNE, MOSDOH, and other private schools like applicants with life experience. You are setting yourself up for failures again if you are limiting yourself to only texas schools. Either retake or add more schools.
I’m definitely retaking the DAT, but I can only attend school in Dallas. I am a single parent and my ex would never allow me to take the kids with me. I cannot in good conscience leave them with him. No career is worth damaging my relationship with my children or putting them in an unhealthy situation. I realize that makes it a real long shot, but I cannot compromise on it.

I’m definitely retaking the DAT, but I can only attend school in Dallas. I am a single parent and my ex would never allow me to take the kids with me. I cannot in good conscience leave them with him. No career is worth damaging my relationship with my children or putting them in an unhealthy situation. I realize that makes it a real long shot, but I cannot compromise on it.
I can understand your predicament. It's a tough spot to be in, but you're right, no career is worth damaging your relationship with your children. I wish you the best of luck on the DAT, and truly hope that you get into the dental school in Dallas.

I can understand your predicament. It's a tough spot to be in, but you're right, no career is worth damaging your relationship with your children. I wish you the best of luck on the DAT, and truly hope that you get into the dental school in Dallas.
Thank you. The postbacc program knows the school is my only option, so I’ll just keep pestering them until they get tired of saying no!

I delayed my DAT but taking that extra year off was one hell of a memory.

I'm sure it sucks, but try and enjoy your time. Its not all about school.

Thank you. The postbacc program knows the school is my only option, so I’ll just keep pestering them until they get tired of saying no!
That right, don't take no for an answer.

If your divorce decree allows for it I would apply out of state.

You're right, it's not. But I will already be in my 40s if I get in next year, so I'm close to the tipping point where the student loans don't make sense financially.

Can't you get a good lawyer and get the kids out?

I mean from your words, I feel this guy is gonna have a bad effect on your beautiful kids anyway.

Just run to another state and start over. I am sure there is a way, he is not the ex-husband, why does he have rights on where you gonna live.

I am sorry about your situation.

Anyway, stop emailing, go yourself. that's what someone I know did too with some school and it worked.

Wear nice clothes, prepare a letter of interest hard copy

go to the admission office and talk to somebody there.

They are bound to listen and if you are persistent you will find a way.

Rejection can sometimes change to an interview.

Look at this girl's story and make her your motivation.

Take your kids with you to the school if you have to!

If your divorce decree allows for it I would apply out of state.
I can go anywhere, my kids cannot leave the county. The ex would drag me to court and I make at least half a million less per year than he does. I would be wasting money.

Can't you get a good lawyer and get the kids out?

I mean from your words, I feel this guy is gonna have a bad effect on your beautiful kids anyway.

Just run to another state and start over. I am sure there is a way, he is not the ex-husband, why does he have rights on where you gonna live.

I am sorry about your situation.

Anyway, stop emailing, go yourself. that's what someone I know did too with some school and it worked.

Wear nice clothes, prepare a letter of interest hard copy

go to the admission office and talk to somebody there.

They are bound to listen and if you are persistent you will find a way.

Rejection can sometimes change to an interview.

Look at this girl and make her your motivation.

Take your kids with you to the school if you have to!

I can't afford a lawyer and he hid all the money, so I was left with very little. I can't run anywhere. My family is here and would be an excellent support network during school. I will keep hustling because every dentist I've met has no doubt I have the drive and determination, I just lack the right connections.

I can't afford a lawyer and he hid all the money, so I was left with very little. I can't run anywhere. My family is here and would be an excellent support network during school. I will keep hustling because every dentist I've met has no doubt I have the drive and determination, I just lack the right connections.

There are free lawyers they do pro bono cases.

Like I said, go to the school and make connections. Make them listen.

You won't lose anything if you visit the school with a hard copy of a letter of interest and explaining your situation. They are humans and one person in the admission might change his/her mind..

There are free lawyers they do pro bono cases.

Like I said, go to the school and make connections. Make them listen.

You won't lose anything if you visit the school with a hard copy of a letter of interest and explaining your situation. They are humans and one person in the admission might change his/her mind..
I can tell you for sure that a pro bono attorney can't compete with a team that charge $750/hour each. Money wins in court, not the best interest. I am hoping to get n interview with the postbacc progam, so I'll focus my attention there for now.

I can tell you for sure that a pro bono attorney can't compete with a team that charge $750/hour each. Money wins in court, not the best interest. I am hoping to get n interview with the postbacc progam, so I'll focus my attention there for now.

Best of luck.

Late update, I was accepted to my state school, four rejections, now word from the other 7 schools, nothing is impossible!

If you’re stuck on one school, you need to meet the average stats at minimum. I’d suggest absolutely killing the DAT. Hire a DAT tutor. Know all topics inside and out. That’ll probably be your best bet. Texas schools are VERY competitive.

Otherwise if you’re set on becoming a dentist, you’re going to have to apply broadly. Screw all the lawyer stuff. Just suck it up and be nice to your ex. Set your pride aside and work out a deal. Ie. You get them for the summer, perhaps?

Lastly, take this forum with a grain of salt. It will drive you more insane than help. Don’t let it alter your drive or motivation.

Reactions: 7 users