No Interview Invites - Worried!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dbate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else not have any interview invites? I keep seeing the places I applied to offering interviews via this forum. But I haven't heard from anywhere.

Stats:
- US MD state school
- Step 1: Low 240s, Step 2 Low 240s
- Grades: 5 honors (Surgery, Peds, OB/Gyn, Psych, Family Medicine), High Pass (Internal medicine, Neurology) <--my school gives out honors like candy, so my class rank is 3rd quartile
- Tons of research in ENT (5 publications, 4 poster presentations, 1 abstract)
- LOR: 1 radiology, 1 surgery, 1 ob/gyn

I decided to switch from ENT to Radiology pretty late in the game. But my application was entirely complete by Sept 15. I'm really starting to worry :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone else not have any interview invites? I keep seeing the places I applied to offering interviews via this forum. But I haven't heard from anywhere.

Stats:
- US MD state school
- Grades: 5 honors (Surgery, Peds, OB/Gyn, Psych, Family Medicine), High Pass (Internal medicine, Neurology) <--my school gives out honors like candy, so my class rank is 3rd quartile

I decided to switch from ENT to Radiology pretty late in the game. But my application was entirely complete by Sept 15. I'm really starting to worry :(

You'll be fine if you applied broadly. It's still early in the process. I understand how hard it is not to worry, but you should be fine if you don't have any red flags

You'll be fine if you applied broadly. It's still early in the process. I understand how hard it is not to worry, but you should be fine if you don't have any red flags

Thanks for the reassurances!

When people say red flags, what does that mean?

I haven't failed anything in med school and my MSPE is glowing with praise (like all of them are, since most schools do not allow bad things to be included).

Members don't see this ad :)

Stats:
- US MD state school
- LOR: 1 radiology, 1 surgery, 1 ob/gyn

That's strange. I know someone with middle 230 receiving places like Aurora, Henry Ford, Beaumont, U Louisville, you applied only places like IU, Michigan?

That's strange. I know someone with middle 230 receiving places like Aurora, Henry Ford, Beaumont, U Louisville, you applied only places like IU, Michigan?
I didn't apply to any of those places listed. Perhaps I didn't make my list well.

I applied to places like UMiami, Minnesota, University of Florida, etc. And I haven't heard back from anywhere T_T

Thanks for the reassurances!

When people say red flags, what does that mean?

I haven't failed anything in med school and my MSPE is glowing with praise (like all of them are, since most schools do not allow bad things to be included).

Red flags would be failed courses, suspensions, bad LORs, involuntary leave of absence etc.

It's still too early in the game to be worried. I think most places are offering interviews at this point based on location, stellar scores, school affiliation, away rotations etc. Once the MSPEs start rolling in next month, you'll have a better sense of where you stand. Based on your stats above, you should have a good chance of going somewhere as long as you applied to enough places in different tiers. That's my take anyway

Red flags would be failed courses, suspensions, bad LORs, involuntary leave of absence etc.

It's still too early in the game to be worried. I think most places are offering interviews at this point based on location, stellar scores, school affiliation, away rotations etc. Once the MSPEs start rolling in next month, you'll have a better sense of where you stand. Based on your stats above, you should have a good chance of going somewhere as long as you applied to enough places in different tiers. That's my take anyway

Sounds good. You're right. Reading sdn is just freaking me out. Which always happens! hahaha

Thanks man

Sounds good. You're right. Reading sdn is just freaking me out. Which always happens! hahaha

Thanks man
Yeah, just hang tight for now. My program isn't even *planning* to send out any invites for more than another week.

I didn't apply to any of those places listed. Perhaps I didn't make my list well.

I applied to places like UMiami, Minnesota, University of Florida, etc. And I haven't heard back from anywhere T_T
It is not too late to tack on more places to send your app. Do it sooner rather than later, but don't fret. I received invites as late as thanksgiving week!!

Email the programs coordinators where programs have already released invites. Write to them specifically why you are interested in their program.

Email the programs coordinators where programs have already released invites. Write to them specifically why you are interested in their program.
Is it really time to do this already? I have a few interviews from places lower on my list, but some of the better places I applied to sent some invites that I did not get. But I thought it was too early to be concerned...

Is it really time to do this already? I have a few interviews from places lower on my list, but some of the better places I applied to sent some invites that I did not get. But I thought it was too early to be concerned...

Now is precisely the time to do this

Do you know anything about the Aurora program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Now is precisely the time to do this

How sure are you about this? I feel like most interviews that have gone out are for regional reasons. I suspect it's too soon; we should at least wait until the MSPE comes out.

How sure are you about this? I feel like most interviews that have gone out are for regional reasons. I suspect it's too soon; we should at least wait until the MSPE comes out.

You can't go wrong with expressing interest. With each passing day there are less interviews. One guy I know got three extra interviews from emailing.

Again this is true for the fellowship game for sure.

Thanks man

I am with @mTORC. Now is not the time to email programs. At minimum, wait until until next week (after the MSPE) comes out.

Typically, when a program director receives an email from a candidate about a possible interview, they go back to the applicant file and have another look. Sometimes an interview is granted, often it is not. Without the MSPE, your file isn't complete if the program director goes back to your file. So, at minimum, wait until next week before emailing.

And if you are going to email, explain specifically why you wish to go to that specific program. For example, if you have family in the area or your signficiant other is getting a job there. Those details may give you an interview when you otherwise may not have received one.

Judging from your stats and the fact that you haven't received any interviews, have you applied to a good mix of programs? Lower tier community programs in your region should be on your list (if you haven't already applied). Make sure you have applied to enough programs within your own region or state. Program directors are often provincial and favor local candidates as they are more likely to go there.

I am with @mTORC. Now is not the time to email programs. At minimum, wait until until next week (after the MSPE) comes out.

Typically, when a program director receives an email from a candidate about a possible interview, they go back to the applicant file and have another look. Sometimes an interview is granted, often it is not. Without the MSPE, your file isn't complete if the program director goes back to your file. So, at minimum, wait until next week before emailing.

And if you are going to email, explain specifically why you wish to go to that specific program. For example, if you have family in the area or your signficiant other is getting a job there. Those details may give you an interview when you otherwise may not have received one.

Judging from your stats and the fact that you haven't received any interviews, have you applied to a good mix of programs? Lower tier community programs in your region should be on your list (if you haven't already applied). Make sure you have applied to enough programs within your own region or state. Program directors are often provincial and favor local candidates as they are more likely to go there.

I actually ended up getting my first interview invite today!

Also, I took the advice in this thread and added on a few more places just to be safe. I previously only applied to academic places, so I added in community programs to be safe.

Also, I took the advice in this thread and added on a few more places just to be safe. I previously only applied to academic places, so I added in community programs to be safe.

First interview invite after emailing to express interest or just by chance?

Which program (?)

You did the right. Given your late switch to radiology, and the significant work you did in ENT, I'm concerned program directors think you're applying into ENT with radiology as a backup. If that's not the case, be clear as you can be that radiology is your number one choice. Hopefully that is mentioned somewhere in your personal statement.

You did the right. Given your late switch to radiology, and the significant work you did in ENT, I'm concerned program directors think you're applying into ENT with radiology as a backup. If that's not the case, be clear as you can be that radiology is your number one choice. Hopefully that is mentioned somewhere in your personal statement.
i think PD´s can look upon your ERAS app if you applied to more than one specialty.

i think PD´s can look upon your ERAS app if you applied to more than one specialty.

Maybe @RadiologyPD cna chime in, but I believe that is not the case. For what I understand, unless the applicant (either directly or via their LORs) tells the program that radiology isn't the only specialty applied to, the program will not know.

So I am sitting on three interview invites from bare bottom programs at best. Programs that I thought would interview me have sent out invites already. Should I email them or is it too soon? Should I apply to more programs or is it too late?

Help.

So I am sitting on three interview invites from bare bottom programs at best. Programs that I thought would interview me have sent out invites already. Should I email them or is it too soon? Should I apply to more programs or is it too late?

Help.
Probably too early, I've heard that mid-October is more appropriate, but you might get differing opinions on that. Also it probably can't hurt to send out a few extra applications, though it may be kind of late, it's just money and if it makes you feel more secure it may be worth it.

How many safeties did you apply to? Are your stats on par with these other programs? Hard to give a better answer without more info.

Help.

Programs usually send out a few waves of interview invites. However, I would definitely send emails to PDs if you are interested in a specific program...especially to programs in regions you have no connection to.

You should probably have more interviews by now if most of the programs you applied to have already given out IVs. So you may have to rethink your program list and add a few more.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't email programs until around mid October. It's still early.

Don't email programs until around mid October. It's still early.

I would email a program that has already given out interviews. Don't think it matters if you email now vs in 10 days. You want to be in the next wave of IVs or all the IV spots may get filled.

If the program hasn't given out IVs yet, than I'd hold off.

Wanted to provide an update, just in case someone from next year is in a similar situation.

I ended up getting 1 interview before the MSPE went out. Since the release of the MSPE, I received 19 interviews and I ended up declining 4 due to cost and time constraints.

So for anyone who stumbles across this next year, don't freak out until after the MSPE is released!

Reactions: 3 users
Wanted to provide an update, just in case someone from next year is in a similar situation.

I ended up getting 1 interview before the MSPE went out. Since the release of the MSPE, I received 19 interviews and I ended up declining 4 due to cost and time constraints.

So for anyone who stumbles across this next year, don't freak out until after the MSPE is released!

Might I ask why you decided to switch from ENT to Radiology? Was there a specific reason? Lifestyle? Professional? I'm just curious as someone who has also been considering Radiology now after wanting to pursue a surgical subspecialty. Glad to hear you were successful with the interviews!

Might I ask why you decided to switch from ENT to Radiology? Was there a specific reason? Lifestyle? Professional? I'm just curious as someone who has also been considering Radiology now after wanting to pursue a surgical subspecialty. Glad to hear you were successful with the interviews!

I was between urology and radiology and I chose it for lifestyle given that I liked both equally. I don’t want to be 50 and still working 60-70hours