MD No Interview Invites Yet, Looking for Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Syndonium

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my first posts on SDN but I've been lurking the forums throughout undergrad to help me along as a Pre-Med so first off thank you to everyone for this great resource!

I'm kind of looking for some second opinions from other pre meds applying this 2020 cycle for 2021. I'm not super worried yet, but I am very anxious with how nontraditional my application timeline has been. Let me give some background.

I'm a recently graduated premed taking a gap year and have been building up my clinical experience ever since I graduated. My science GPA is 3.87, and overall 3.92. I took a hard science major with a lot of science classes, got all my prereqs done, and did a year abroad to study a foreign language. My MCAT is 512, all around pretty good although my psych/soc percentile is kind of low since I never took a psych class and self studied that.

I've got a lot of research experience, 1 publication, wrote a honors thesis on another project I worked on for about 2 years, spent about 3 years total in research labs. I've got shadowing from 2 physicians, both were fairly long experiences, but I could certainly have shadowed a bit more just didn't get the opportunity.

Volunteering was pretty substantial for non-clinical, did a lot of science education and foreign language/cultural inclusion type experiences over my 4 years undergrad. Helped found a student org too for leadership experience. Up until my gap year clinical experience was the fault in my app.

I've done a short-certificate B-EMT course post-bacc and got NREMT cert, working on licensing app still but been busy with my other clinical activity. Been working as a fulltime employee in a hospital for the past 5 months, involves direct patient care and has been great clinical experience which is why I've fallen behind on my EMT plans. Still plan on doing some volunteering as a basic EMT for my local EMS when I can, but I think I've made up for my lack of clinicals at least a fair bit this gap year.

My biggest concern with my application is that they weren't completed until November which brings me to the topic of my post. I submitted my primaries in mid-July, secondaries in August, but my school's pre-health committee was very late writing letters this cycle, outside of my control, and they didn't submit my rec letters until mid-November so my app wasn't considered complete until then.

I realize it's only been about 2 weeks since med schools would have started reviewing my app, hence why I'm not exactly worried yet, but was feeling anxious about it and wanted to ask here for advice. Anyone else this cycle have their apps delayed a lot by rec letters? Do you think my chances were hurt a lot by the late completion or with how COVID has influenced everything do I still have a good shot this late in? None of my schools are really a reach save for my top choice where my GPA is just slightly lower than the median. I tried to be realistic about my school choices. For privacy, I don't want to post my list if I can avoid it though. Thank you in advance, and best luck to everyone else applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

It would help if you could fill out a template. You have lots of words and they all run together. It seems you applied with not much clinical experience. You did shadow but we don’t know with whom or what kind of docs or how long. It sounds like your nonclinical volunteering is mostly(maybe all?) on campus in your comfort zone. Is that correct? It doesn’t seem that you have focused or even touched on serving the unserved/underserved in your community. If that is wrong could you explain how you have worked with those less fortunate than yourself?
What state are you from ? Are you URM? As to posting your school list, people post lists every single day. It is highly doubtful that your identity would be discovered. And it would be helpful if we knew where you applied.
And if your file was marked complete in mid November, it might be February or later before your application is reviewed. Nothing you can do about that so just relax.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry wasn't aware there was a template, didn't see one in either stickied thread. My volunteering was not on-campus in my comfort zone, it was actually teaching younger K-12 students in a school that doesn't normally offer international culture/foreign language opportunities and considering teaching kids was a way different beast than previous experience it was quite a learning curve. I mention this in my app, the mission goal was to serve under-represented communities. Other volunteering experience (non-clinical) was in my comfort zone though, so I had a mix.

Shadowing was a Radiologist and Endovascular surgeon. They both worked in rural settings, and I'm planning on doing my EMS volunteering in a rural setting. All my schools I applied to are IS, except my reach school which is a private not state school.

I'm also not URM but I am EO1. Sorry if my initial post wasn't very clear.

When did you submit your app and when was it verified? Are there any transcripts or LOR's still outstanding (I presume no at this point)?

When you say your mission/goal is to serve underrepresented communities, what specific community volunteering opportunities, classes, and clinical experiences focus you on this point, and which evaluator/s did you solicit to back up this point?

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah your committee really hurt you with the late completion because on paper you are a solid candidate - really unacceptable of them honestly. It's possible also that your list is too top heavy or not broad enough.

Reactions: 1 users
Really sorry to hear about your committee. I agree that it was wrong of them.

This year, my school alone has said they received ~1000 more apps than last year and admissions were already very competitive before. And this seems to be a trend at all schools for 2020. It seems unlikely that you will hear back for a while unless you standout in something they are specifically looking for (urm, prestigious awards, pubs, maybe the disadvantaged status, etc.)
Not impossible to get an II by this point, since you have quite a solid app, but it’s been made much harder for you by the timing. I’m rooting for you!

When did you submit your app and when was it verified? Are there any transcripts or LOR's still outstanding (I presume no at this point)?

When you say your mission/goal is to serve underrepresented communities, what specific community volunteering opportunities, classes, and clinical experiences focus you on this point, and which evaluator/s did you solicit to back up this point?
Sorry for the late reply, but I submitted in July and got verified in September. Specifically I served my local K-12 student population in a low socioeconomic status area and they were largely URM groups. The mission statement of the group I helped found which did this volunteering targets those kinds of demographics similar to programs like books without borders, doctors without borders, etc. and tries to increase access to education.

My reference for that was one of the faculty advisors we worked with to start the group. I took a lot of courses related to the topic with the volunteering but of course no classes which in themselves involved going out to community elementary schools. That was organized by us.

I appreciate all the replies and feel a bit better now. Wish my app timing could have been better but just hoping it doesn't lose me a spot and if it does, oh well I'll keep building up for next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Wanted to post an update for anyone interested, I got two A's from schools! Now just struggling to decide between the two, thank you so much for everyone's advice!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Wanted to post an update for anyone interested, I got two A's from schools! Now just struggling to decide between the two, thank you so much for everyone's advice!
When did you receive your interview invites?