No interview=rejected?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Barton

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question to anyone with insight. Should I assume that I'm not going to get interviews from places that are already interviewing but haven't yet contacted me? I mean, do schools hold on to apps (not giving interviews but not rejecting) for a while even when they're interviewing. I just ask because the wait is so exasperating. I think I would rather be rejected if i'm going to be. Example: I submitted super early, was verified really early, completed my file at Pritzker in july. I haven't heard a thing from them, and others are interviewing (and some being accepted). What do y'all think this type of situation means?

Members don't see this ad.

I would think it means that your application is on hold at those schools, and that you'll probably get interview invites from some of the schools eventually.

Nothing is typical this year, but yeah, a lot of schools hold on to apps for a while in order to compare them to other apps. Initially a school will interview all of the top candidates whose files are complete. Then after that, they will start reviewing the files of other applicants. It's definitely possible you will be invited for an interview later on in the year. Some schools actually notify applicants that their file is on hold, I believe Penn St is one. Other schools you won't hear from until you get either an interview notice or a rejection letter.

Until you actually have received a rejection letter in your hot little hand, you are still in the game. There is a reason that schools interview typically from October through April, and it's not just to accomodate those who turned in their AMCAS late.

I don't know if I would actually say you are on "hold" per se -- many schools that have an official hold status (ie, they will mail you a letter indicating that they have put you on hold), wait until they have reviewed ALL their applicants before making a decision on the candidates in the hold pile. Other schools will continually review applications throughout the season. Those with clearly outstanding applications will generally get invited to interview very early on. You may not have made this early "cut" at some schools so far, but that's not to say you won't make their cut in a few months time.