No Interviews. Gap year, most likely. What to do?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted632431

Hi guys!

So my applications were complete/transmitted by the end of July, and I have not heard back from a single medical school. Here is some more information about me:
  • GPA: 3.8
  • MCAT: 27 (If you are wondering, I have since retaken the MCAT. New scores is not available yet)
  • 100+ shadowing hours
  • Leadership on a campus organization
  • One semester of research experience
  • 60+ hours of clinic volunteering
  • 50-60 hours of community service volunteering
  • I would say my personal statement was pretty strong.
I've come to terms with having a gap year, but what worries me the most is what am I going to do in that gap year? My major is Psychology. I was hoping to get a paying job because I would really like to be able to somewhat financially support myself. Any ideas/advice/comments are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
most schools won't review your application beyond automatic screening until they get your pending MCAT scores.

Where did you apply? Did you apply to schools within/under your LizzyM score range?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys!

So my applications were complete/transmitted by the end of July, and I have not heard back from a single medical school. Here is some more information about me:
  • GPA: 3.8
  • MCAT: 27 (If you are wondering, I have since retaken the MCAT. New scores is not available yet)
  • 100+ shadowing hours
  • Leadership on a campus organization
  • One semester of research experience
  • 60+ hours of clinic volunteering
  • 50-60 hours of community service volunteering
  • I would say my personal statement was pretty strong.
I've come to terms with having a gap year, but what worries me the most is what am I going to do in that gap year? My major is Psychology. I was hoping to get a paying job because I would really like to be able to somewhat financially support myself. Any ideas/advice/comments are appreciated!
Getting a job would be a great idea! Especially if it helps you rack up more clinical hours. Scribe/research assistant/EMT are all good options.

CNA is also a possibility. Depending on your area you may have access to accelerated programs that would have you certified in 2-3 months vs. taking a class that lasts an entire semester. Can't go wrong with anything that helps you rack up clinical hours and patient contact experience ;)

Do more research, retake mcat if necessary, apply to DO schools.

Clinical Experience. Someone above mentioned a scribe or a CNA? More research wouldn't hurt either.

find the cure for cancer you lazy pile of.....

jk <3

most schools won't review your application beyond automatic screening until they get your pending MCAT scores.
I applied to four Texas schools who use their own application service and not AAMC. Also, I did not tell the medical schools that I was retaking the MCAT. Do they have a way of finding this out?

Clinical Experience. Someone above mentioned a scribe or a CNA? More research wouldn't hurt either.
Does what I do during my gap year have to be clinical? What if I got a job in Human Resources?