No interviews, no rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maybedeadcat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, maybe it's too early to start freaking out, but I submitted most of my secondaries around 7/23 and I haven't heard anything from anywhere. I keep hearing about people who submitted after me and are getting IIs and rejections, and I'm starting to wonder what's going on. One of my friends has 7 interviews already. Should I be worried? Here's my stats, in case that matters at all 514 MCAT, 3.72 GPA/ 3.82 sGPA.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.

So, maybe it's too early to start freaking out, but I submitted most of my secondaries around 7/23 and I haven't heard anything from anywhere. I keep hearing about people who submitted after me and are getting IIs and rejections, and I'm starting to wonder what's going on. One of my friends has 7 interviews already. Should I be worried? Here's my stats, in case that matters at all 514 MCAT, 3.72 GPA/ 3.82 sGPA.

Reactions: 2 users
I can count on seeing at least three new threads like this a day. The OP is always being neurotic, the OP never does their research, and the answer is always to chill out.

Reactions: 2 users
I can count on seeing at least three new threads like this a day. The OP is always being neurotic, the OP never does their research, and the answer is always to chill out.
I'm doing my best, I swear.

If I submitted everything in July, was an overall strong applicant and had received no II by late-September-to-early October, I would be concerned. Obviously, this varies depending on when you submitted and how strong your application is.
And yes, largely numbers play a role in early IIs

Members don't see this ad :)
If it makes you feel better I'm in the same boat with a 511 MCAT and 4.0 GPA.

Best thing is to wait until mid-Oct and if we haven't heard back then we'll panic together

Reactions: 1 users
Rule 1: Take a Breath

1) The process of reviewing an application has many steps and often is not done in a linear manner.

2) With a few to several thousand of applications, it might take sometime before they get to you. As far as I am concerned anyone who worries about an II before Oct 1st needs sedation. Anyone who "panics" before December needs inpatient care

3) They may pull out "outstanding" candidates, URMs, children of alumni, UGs from parent university, linked PB/SMP, usual feeder schools, etc. Some state schools look first at in state, others purposely OOS to find any with state connection or that may have strong ties to its mission. They may look at the first group to be read/scored/interviewed/decided, prior to dealing with next group of applications. This may be done at any point in the chain of tasks above. For example, the adcom may want to decided on who to II in the first group then seeing how many slots are left before they move on to next group.

4) Many schools are still ramping up their full process. August is still a relatively off month with staff dealing with incoming class, faculty still away on summer, and what not. Some schools may not start adcom voting meetings until September. One admissions dean a few years ago made a comment saying something like "I dont even want to know about new applications until after Labor Day"

Great clip!
While I myself have been fortunate to not have to worry about this, I was just trying to think about how I would feel in the situation/when I would begin to be concerned :)
I'll admit I am prone to worry though.

Rule 1: Take a Breath

1) The process of reviewing an application has many steps and often is not done in a linear manner.

2) With a few to several thousand of applications, it might take sometime before they get to you. As far as I am concerned anyone who worries about an II before Oct 1st needs sedation. Anyone who "panics" before December needs inpatient care

3) They may pull out "outstanding" candidates, URMs, children of alumni, UGs from parent university, linked PB/SMP, usual feeder schools, etc. Some state schools look first at in state, others purposely OOS to find any with state connection or that may have strong ties to its mission. They may look at the first group to be read/scored/interviewed/decided, prior to dealing with next group of applications. This may be done at any point in the chain of tasks above. For example, the adcom may want to decided on who to II in the first group then seeing how many slots are left before they move on to next group.

4) Many schools are still ramping up their full process. August is still a relatively off month with staff dealing with incoming class, faculty still away on summer, and what not. Some schools may not start adcom voting meetings until September. One admissions dean a few years ago made a comment saying something like "I dont even want to know about new applications until after Labor Day"

I appreciate your advice. I know I'm being ridiculous, but I have a superstar best friend who is already sitting on 7 interview invites which got me worried.

I appreciate your advice. I know I'm being ridiculous, but I have a superstar best friend who is already sitting on 7 interview invites which got me worried.
Tell them to quit hogging and share the interviews, it's II drought season!

To make myself feel more competitive and ensure an II, I send a fruit basket to each med school Adcom every other day.

Wait, what was the original question?

To make myself feel more competitive and ensure an II, I send a fruit basket to each med school Adcom every other day.

Wait, what was the original question?
We were getting those multi-colored cakes from New Orleans for a while...

Reactions: 1 user
OP, it is August so you really have plenty of time. I didn't even get invited to my state school until October last year, and they ended up throwing merit money at me. Not being rejected is obviously a good thing. Just be patient.

Reactions: 1 user
Every year adcoms report getting flowers, fruit baskets, candy etc. occasionally hear getting bottles of wine, and gift cards

That... That seems excessive.

I would find that almost funny if actually didnt happen

Pretty hilarious that this happens. You know, bribery.

Bribery is funny.

Edit: So has bribery ever ended in anything other than instant rejection? Because if not, I need to tell some Adcoms that the baby-sized gummy bear that I sent them was simply a clerical error.

Last edited:
What do you expect when you combine neuroticism with a lack of social awareness?

That's a good point. I'm concerned about the cost of this stuff...