No interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amoebaman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone is posting on here about how many interviews they have (congrats, I wish I was you) so I'd like to balance the equation a bit with my story. I hope there will be a happy ending.

My stats:

Big 4 Carib
Step 1: 215/90 (second attempt)
Step 2 CS: Pass (first attempt)
Step 2 CK: 198/89 (first attempt)

3 Anesthesia rotations (2 away)
Met with PD and discussed "chances" -- he said I should be fine.

Outstanding, anesthesia specific LoRs.

I am Canadian (but married to an American since last year -- I've been scared to apply for a green card because we got married outside of the U.S., foolishly, only to find out that this is a classic 'red flag' for U.S. immigration. Any suspicion of marriage fraud may result in my deportation so that I can apply through my own embassy. I do not want to get kicked out of the USA in my 4th year of med school, because that would suck. So residency programs think I need a visa now. Any anecdotes about immigraiton would be welcomed, although I am getting in contact with a lawyer.)

Result: No interviews as of today. I applied to every anesthesia program in the country. I applied to ~30 prelim IM programs.

My plan: To email programs and beg.

Does anyone here relate?

To be honest I'm freaking out, but I am determined.

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone is posting on here about how many interviews they have (congrats, I wish I was you) so I'd like to balance the equation a bit with my story. I hope there will be a happy ending.

My stats:

Big 4 Carib

I am Canadian (but married to an American since last year -- I've been scared to apply for a green card because we got married outside of the U.S., foolishly, only to find out that this is a classic 'red flag' for U.S. immigration. Any suspicion of marriage fraud may result in my deportation so that I can apply through my own embassy. I do not want to get kicked out of the USA in my 4th year of med school, because that would suck. So residency programs think I need a visa now. Any anecdotes about immigraiton would be welcomed, although I am getting in contact with a lawyer.)

Result: No interviews as of today. I applied to every anesthesia program in the country. I applied to ~30 prelim IM programs.

Does anyone here relate?

This is going to be harsh...

your numbers are absolutely horrible, you went to a bad med school, and you're not a citizen, I really don't think any amount of begging is going to get you out of this situation. The real person to blame is this brain dead PD who told you that everything would be fine. Once again, sorry to sound harsh, but you're probably going to have to apply to family or something next year if you want to match

I think your two biggest challenges are your medical school and your citizenship.

I was at an interview for prelim IM where there were Caribbean students interview for categ IM. The PD of the program said directly to them that the Caribbean schools have ruined themselves and that he rescinded interviews from people after Nov 1. (Keep in mind this is in IM).

Realistically, it seems that for Anesthesiology your chances are going to be low. I am sorry about your situation. You may consider applying to TYs and prelims to see if you can improve CV for re-application next year. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your lower board scores, non US medical school, and non US citizenship sort of put you in a bad situation for many programs so I'd imagine that most won't offer an interview.

But I'd imagine that some will. I mean there are more than enough programs that won't even fill in the match that they'd probably like a chance to meet you and see if you are a normal person that they might prefer to taking than getting somebody in the scramble.

You might not have interviews now, but it's still early in the process. Programs send out rounds of invites. As people turn down interviews and spots remain open in January, they'll send out more.

Talk to an American immigration lawyer before you try what I am about to suggest.

Go back to the island where you got married and get an annulment. Then get married again in the good old U.S.A. :) Then apply for a green card.

If a REPUTABLE immigration lawyer thinks this will work, you might want to consider it.

You didn't say where you were married. I'm guessing that you didn't get married in a US territory? (USVI, Guam, etc)
It seems you need to get an immigration attorney and work out your problems before applying. "I'm really OK..." is not going to get you very far. If programs are worried about your immigration status, they will never take you. There are unexpected problems as it is with non citizen trainees.

My stats:

Big 4 Carib

Does anyone here relate?

The bad news: Your PD is either clueless or was intentionally blowing smoke up your @$$.

The good news: You were obviously smart enough to realize that fact, given that you applied to every anesthesia program and 30 prelim IM programs.

The worse news: Given that you knew you were a longshot, and given that you had enough dough to go to a Carib school and apply to every anesthesia school in the country, you probably should have ponied up and applied to some categorical IM or FM programs. Not matching anywhere is going to make everything that much more difficult down the road.

Best of luck to you.

i'm only an ms3 , but i'll offer my .02

it's not looking good. you scored 10 points lower ( at least ) than what most american grads earn on their first attempt at step1. You failed step 1 - only 20% of PD's consider applicants who have a failed attempt. Also, add to that you're from a carrib school ( in which case you should have had a step 1 at least in the high 220's on attempt 1), and the citizenship thing, and it's looking bleak.

i had a friend in a similar situation recently. He applied and matched for a transitional year at a low level government hospital that had a FMG friendly anesthesia residency, worked his butt off, cleared his step3, did some research with the PACU, and ended up matching as a pgy-2. he went to a carrib school and didn't have stellar numbers either, However, he was an american citizen.

if you want it , go for it. clear the citizenship issue first, i think annulling and re-marrying is a good idea. do your prelim year somewhere with a gas program, and be willing to wait... my dad completed 3 years of internal medicine before starting as a pgy1 in anesthesia. he was a FMG 10 years out of med school and with a failed attempt on step 1 also.. in hindsight, the extra 2 years of work he put in don't make a difference now. best of luck. the only person who can gaurantee that you won't make it is yourself. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Your lower board scores, non US medical school, and non US citizenship sort of put you in a bad situation for many programs so I'd imagine that most won't offer an interview.

But I'd imagine that some will. I mean there are more than enough programs that won't even fill in the match that they'd probably like a chance to meet you and see if you are a normal person that they might prefer to taking than getting somebody in the scramble.

You might not have interviews now, but it's still early in the process. Programs send out rounds of invites. As people turn down interviews and spots remain open in January, they'll send out more.

With all due respect, I disagree.

i don't think he will get any interviews. There are an overwhelming amount of american grads, as well as superstar carrib and fmg students that are looking to match anesthesia. That, and he's not an american citizen. Even the programs that didn't fill last year - SUNY brooklyn, loyola, etc, many of those spots went to american grads who didnt match in derm, ophtho, surg, etc etc, not carrib grads with multiple red flags.

the best approach here is to realize that the traditional way isn't going to work, his best bet is doing a prelim year, working his butt off, and possibly doing research in a department or completing IM before re-applying..

My stats:

Big 4 Carib

Does anyone here relate?

It's good that you are determined,

I'm a DO student who failed his comlex level 1, so i feel your pain.

I think as others have said multiples times already, your problems are as follows, in order of severity:

1. Failed step 1 before passing. 2nd score isn't great. we can't fix this now, so let's leave it alone.

2. Marriage Issue - You need to find a way to get married in the states without raising any issues with immigration, you can forget about matching if you're not a citizen and don't have killer step scores. just being honest.

3.Carrib school - I suggest you find out which programs are most carrib friendly and hound the crap out of them for NEXT year.

what do you do now? instead of begging anesthesia programs - which will not really do anything, i suggest begging transitional year or prelim programs. Find one that is associated with a fmg friendly anesthesia department, and try to interview and pre-match/match if you can. there are tons of these programs in ny, chicago, etc, so you should be able to find one that can cater to you.

i will be applying next year, and though i can 'hide' my comlex score from MD residencies, i am also ready for having problems bc of my failed attempt -
program directors want residents who can clear their anesthesia boards. failed attempts on step 1 or step 2 are bad, and they also will not be sure if you will make it on step 3, so you are a risk. your best shot is to do a prelim year and pass step 3, get licensed...make some connections, and as above poster says, consider doing IM or research to make yourself more competitive. good luck.

With all due respect, I disagree.

i don't think he will get any interviews. There are an overwhelming amount of american grads, as well as superstar carrib and fmg students that are looking to match anesthesia. That, and he's not an american citizen. Even the programs that didn't fill last year - SUNY brooklyn, loyola, etc, many of those spots went to american grads who didnt match in derm, ophtho, surg, etc etc, not carrib grads with multiple red flags.

But programs interview a LOT of people. And they offer interviews to even more people.

The top 5 programs in the country (however you want to rank them) will interview roughly 8-10 candidates for each spot they have to fill. They also offer interviews to more than that to be able to fill all those slots. As good as a program is, they will get turned down for interviews by some people for various reasons (commonly scheduling conflicts).

The middle tier of programs probably end up offering at least 20+ interviews for each spot they hope to fill.

The bottom tier of programs likely have to offer 50+ interviews just to fill 1 spot because many of their interview offers will never fill their interview spot. Find a big program with a lesser rep and they will be sending out tons of interview offers. But at programs like that, they likely have a rolling offer list. They can't offer everybody at once because they can't accept everybody at once. Once spots start getting turned down, then they can send more. I think it's still early enough in the process that offers will be sent out for another 4-6 weeks.

I remember getting an interview offer in January for one program and I scheduled it for early February.

But programs interview a LOT of people. And they offer interviews to even more people.

The top 5 programs in the country (however you want to rank them) will interview roughly 8-10 candidates for each spot they have to fill. They also offer interviews to more than that to be able to fill all those slots. As good as a program is, they will get turned down for interviews by some people for various reasons (commonly scheduling conflicts).

The middle tier of programs probably end up offering at least 20+ interviews for each spot they hope to fill.

The bottom tier of programs likely have to offer 50+ interviews just to fill 1 spot because many of their interview offers will never fill their interview spot. Find a big program with a lesser rep and they will be sending out tons of interview offers. But at programs like that, they likely have a rolling offer list. They can't offer everybody at once because they can't accept everybody at once. Once spots start getting turned down, then they can send more. I think it's still early enough in the process that offers will be sent out for another 4-6 weeks.

I remember getting an interview offer in January for one program and I scheduled it for early February.

i get your point, and i agree that programs WILL send a lot of interviews out.

i'm just saying, there are an overwhelming amount of candidates that are US citizens and haven't failed the step1 , who are waiting for interviews. both US grads and FMG's...why would they invite someone with the OP's problems when they have 100's of others without red flags? yknow?

The OP has zero chance of landing an MD anesthesia residency with the given history. Don't feed into any delusion that he might have a chance somewhere. He needs to apply to family medicine or a categorical medicine program somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
hopefully you were able to get a few prelim medicine rotations, and you'll at least have a job for the next year. Like multiple people have mentioned, it's pretty obviouse why you don't have any anesthesia invites. good luck.

I'll just throw this out there ...

I agree that odds of the OP lining up an anesthesia categorical or advanced position are just about zero for this application cycle.

But the OP could match/scramble into a FP/IM program, spend 3 years there demonstrating his excellence and then afterward apply for an anesthesia residency. Lots of people switch fields and do a second residency. A couple years of strong academic performance and the resolution of his citizenship issues could make all the difference. In the overall grand scheme of a lifetime, it's a two year delay - during which he's still actively practicing medicine and learning something.

90%+ of US Navy scholarship recipients are required to do a 2-3 year GMO/utilization tour between their PGY1 and PGY2 years. I spent 3 years doing primary care for Marine infantry before I was allowed to do my anesthesia residency. I can attest from first-hand experience that a couple years doing primary care when you'd much rather be doing anesthesia kinda sucks, but I got over it.

The OP has zero chance of landing an MD anesthesia residency with the given history. Don't feed into any delusion that he might have a chance somewhere. He needs to apply to family medicine or a categorical medicine program somewhere.

I have to agree. I'm an american grad from mid-tier med school. I had around 210 on steps 1 and 2, but failed CK on first attempt (good reason, explained in personal statement), 216 on Step 3 (first attempt which I busted hard to study for while ALSO completing a prelim general surgery year). Great letters of rec. all from anesthesia. I got 4 interview invites for the match my MS-4 year, all BEFORE my Step 2 fail came out - nothing after that. I didn't get anesthesia in the match, just the prelim surgery.

Know how many anesthesia interviews I've gotten for this year's match after applying to every program in the country? Zero. And that's without FMG or Citizenship problems.

I have to agree. I'm an american grad from mid-tier med school. I had around 210 on steps 1 and 2, but failed CK on first attempt (good reason, explained in personal statement), 216 on Step 3 (first attempt which I busted hard to study for while ALSO completing a prelim general surgery year). Great letters of rec. all from anesthesia. I got 4 interview invites for the match my MS-4 year, all BEFORE my Step 2 fail came out - nothing after that. I didn't get anesthesia in the match, just the prelim surgery.

Know how many anesthesia interviews I've gotten for this year's match after applying to every program in the country? Zero. And that's without FMG or Citizenship problems.

keep at it man. the reason a lot of anesthesia programs don't consider applicants with failures is they are unsure the applicant can clear step 3. Given you've done that and are licensed, I say you've still got a shot. it seems really odd to me that you didn't get a single interview if you truly applied to 135 programs...are there other red flags on your application? I have a lot of friends with step 1 scores in the 205-215 range , some of whom are taking their step2 ck now, or haven't received scores yet..and they have all have 10+ interviews..did you not apply broadly first time around? If you really want it you may have to do IM or FP first, but in hindsight it's only an extra 2 years.. keep re-applying. just make sure you have an IM or FP spot for next year if you can't scramble or get into an anesthesia spot. best of luck.
:thumbup:

Thanks for the encouragement. I actually recently was offered and accepted a gas position outside of the match. It can certainly be done, but I still haven't gotten any interviews inside the match (never have I smiled as I've gotten so many rejection letters).

Thanks for the encouragement. I actually recently was offered and accepted a gas position outside of the match. It can certainly be done, but I still haven't gotten any interviews inside the match (never have I smiled as I've gotten so many rejection letters).

congrats! i'm glad to hear things worked out for you. :thumbup:

I'm a masochist for posting here again but the upshot is: still no interviews.

I have a colleague/friend who is in the exact same position as me, from SGU, also applying to anesthesia.

I have a couple of things in the works and hopefully I'll have a postive update in the next couple of months.

Rough situation - one I was in last year. Only difference was that I had a backup plan in mind before I underwent all this. Back up plan (prelim surg) worked but it was at a pretty big name program which def helped as was told to me at my interviews. Your in a tough spot....research or doing another residency are probably your only shots right now....or connections.

it seems really odd to me that you didn't get a single interview if you truly applied to 135 programs...are there other red flags on your application? I have a lot of friends with step 1 scores in the 205-215 range , some of whom are taking their step2 ck now, or haven't received scores yet..and they have all have 10+ interviews..did you not apply broadly first time around?
:thumbup:

That's what I'm wondering too. There are so many programs websites that clearly say that the min that they want to consider your application is a 200 or 210, so I would think that the score should at least get you an interview as long as you applied to EVERY single program. I mean, even if you look at the Anesth board score analysis, 220 is the average, so there are plenty of people with in the first two standard deviations who have matched into anesth. Am I missing something here?

Now, I'm kinda worried. I'm a 3d year with step 1 of 214, from a DO school. Should I start looking into other fields? I plan is to just apply everywhere, interview, rank them all and hopefully get in somewhere. And I'm not planning on taking step 2, it would just be too much of a risk if I do worse or if I fail it.

That's what I'm wondering too. There are so many programs websites that clearly say that the min that they want to consider your application is a 200 or 210, so I would think that the score should at least get you an interview as long as you applied to EVERY single program. I mean, even if you look at the Anesth board score analysis, 220 is the average, so there are plenty of people with in the first two standard deviations who have matched into anesth. Am I missing something here?

Now, I'm kinda worried. I'm a 3d year with step 1 of 214, from a DO school. Should I start looking into other fields? I plan is to just apply everywhere, interview, rank them all and hopefully get in somewhere. And I'm not planning on taking step 2, it would just be too much of a risk if I do worse or if I fail it.

the OP is a carib grad who failed step 1. That pretty much eliminates you from any consideration in most anesthesia programs. If he was a US grad, then he would get interviews, but he's not.

I know first hand that anesthesia is not very FMG/IMG/Carib friendly specialty... especially this year since I have friends with double 99s from carib that is having a difficult time getting interviews. Mr. darkmansaad if I remember correctly has double 99s but failed to match last year being a carib grad. I think he has proven to be more successful this year but he had to have a surgery intern year at a top notch place under his belt. So you see my point!

Anesthesia is awesome!!! the secret is out :)

Last edited:
You have absolutely bizarre information about immigration and applying for the green card through marriage. There are absolutely no red flags in marrying outside the US as long as your marriage is a valid and real one.

Let your wife apply for your GC as soon as possible - so you do not have to go on a J-1 visa ( a bad one) for the residency. If you apply NOW you may even get a GC by the time residency starts but at the very least you will have an employment authorization by July 1 2011 and a SSN - this will be totally enough for you to do your residency.

As for your application/interview problems - well, you should apply not to ONE specialty only - you have to have a back-up. Take step 3 NOW - so you can inform the programs that you have passed everything.
But honestly, I do not think you will have any luck this year in anesthesia. If you have any other interviews in other specialties - attend them and try to get anywhere - it is easier to transfer from one specialty to the other than to get from outside altogether.

If you do not have any luck this year - do not despair, straighten your immigration situation by the next Match, do research, pass step 3 ( from the first attempt - this is important) and apply again and widely - not to Anesthesia only.

Good luck

Last edited:
Talk to an American immigration lawyer before you try what I am about to suggest.

Go back to the island where you got married and get an annulment. Then get married again in the good old U.S.A. :) Then apply for a green card.

If a REPUTABLE immigration lawyer thinks this will work, you might want to consider it.

:uhno::uhno::uhno:

Sorry, this is not a soap opera. There is no need to invent the obstacles in order to overcome them

I've heard of "Big 3 Carib" (Ross, SGU, AUC), but never "Big 4". Most people consider Ross and SGU the only decent carib schools worth going to.

What's "big 4"? Maybe that's a big part of your problem.

The drop on Step 2 is a big, big hurt too.

I'd start applying to a different specialty. It's december, and things aren't going to change.

My stats:

Big 4 Carib

Does anyone here relate?

I've heard of "Big 3 Carib" (Ross, SGU, AUC), but never "Big 4". Most people consider Ross and SGU the only decent carib schools worth going to.

What's "big 4"? Maybe that's a big part of your problem.

The drop on Step 2 is a big, big hurt too.

I'd start applying to a different specialty. It's december, and things aren't going to change.

when someone references the "big 4", they are referring to the 4 carib schools that have 50 state approval, being ross, st george, auc, and saba.

I dont mean to step on any toes but judging strictly from match lists of past years, there is a drop off after ross and st george, and then a drop off from auc to saba.

but that being said, i know many people that are great from all 4. just speaking generally...

when someone references the "big 4", they are referring to the 4 carib schools that have 50 state approval, being ross, st george, auc, and saba.

I dont mean to step on any toes but judging strictly from match lists of past years, there is a drop off after ross and st george, and then a drop off from auc to saba.

but that being said, i know many people that are great from all 4. just speaking generally...

People may get their toes stepped on, but for the sake of the students who are taking out $$$$ for a sub-par education, it's important to be honest about chances with schools.

Even the best carib schools (ross/SGU) will be facing trouble in the near future due to the AAMC expansion of MD slots and DO school explosion. If I were a pre-med, I wouldn't consider carib schools at all..

the OP is a carib grad who failed step 1. That pretty much eliminates you from any consideration in most anesthesia programs. If he was a US grad, then he would get interviews, but he's not.

I know first hand that anesthesia is not very FMG/IMG/Carib friendly specialty... especially this year since I have friends with double 99s from carib that is having a difficult time getting interviews. Mr. darkmansaad if I remember correctly has double 99s but failed to match last year being a carib grad. I think he has proven to be more successful this year but he had to have a surgery intern year at a top notch place under his belt. So you see my point!

Anesthesia is awesome!!! the secret is out :)

DArkman didn't match because he didn't want to match at some places he interviewed and didn't rank every place where he interviewed. He would have matched somewhere but since he had a back up plan he chose to take his chances and not rank palces where he didn't want to go to.

In my opinion, if you don't take Step 2 it will be very difficult for you to successfully match. I've had PD's tell me that they are glad I took both steps and they have asked me if I know why some students only take one of the two exams. Anesthesiology is competitive and if you are expecting a PD to hire you over one of their own allopathic students, you need to take both step 1 and 2 so programs can objectively compare you to other applicants.

The way I see it you have three options:

1-Apply to AOA programs if you have a decent comlex score.

2-Start looking into less competitive specialties.

3-Start studying now for step 2 and make sure you score >230. You need to have your score back by Sept 1st to give yourself the best shot at landing interviews. Take practice exams, do UWx2, etc. If your NBME's are not up to snuff by July/August then don't take step 2 and resort to options 1 or 2.

Hey everyone, I go to SGU. I thought initially that making it vague would be better but since this seems to be affecting the advice I'm getting (which I appreciate), I thought what the heck.

Wow, congrats. In a similar position to you but with a carib tag on me. Sure makes the rest of the year manageable, eh? But I do agree....this year seems terribly competitive from what i've been told by a few PDs and its not exclusive to anesthesia. Just happy to be a part of the best career I could imagine :) and humble enough to try and help anyone who comes after although the road can be tough.