No LOR from clinical preceptor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tuf06150

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I only had one clinical rotation so far, and my preceptor is not willing to write me a LOR. However, other preceptors from Walgreens, company, compounding pharmacy, my research superior, and my employer from the hospital will write me LORs. My CGPA is 3.41, and I have two publications. I was wondering if I should apply for residency because they want a recommendation letter from the clinical preceptor? Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You should apply for residency if you want to do residency … why would a rejection of a recommendation letter request hinder that? You had one clinical rotation so far, relax. No preceptor has obligations to write you a LOR.

Reactions: 1 user
You should apply for residency if you want to do residency … why would a rejection of a recommendation letter request hinder that? You had one clinical rotation so far, relax. No preceptor has obligations to write you a LOR.
Thank you for your reply. If I apply without clinical preceptor's LOR, what are my chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply. If I apply without clinical preceptor's LOR, what are my chances?

It'll be OK. Some residencies really care about this, others not as much. Just apply broadly.

Reactions: 1 users
Control what you have control over. This includes making sure the LORs you do get are strong, updating and editing your CV (telling us you have two research publications matters very little compared to the overall quality of the CV and experiences you have), and the rest of your application materials. Your GPA should meet minimum cutoffs usually around 3.0, if any programs have them.

Consider why they denied you the LOR and reflect on what you can do better, especially if it is not for unfair reasons. Residency will require a lot of self-reflection and focus on improvement in addition to the rigorous clinical work.

Why won't they write one? That will dictate my answer

Reactions: 1 users