Young residency preceptors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hels2007

I bite
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just scrolling through the list of preceptors for PGY-1 and PGY-2 residencies at the university hospital of my alma mater and what struck me is that majority of them have graduated in the past 10 years. Very few have been in practice for 20 years or more. Is that a common experience across residency sites? I am curious what's driving it... is precepting something no one wants to do, so it is pushed on the new kids on the bloc? Or is it more of "precepting is best left to those who completed a residency themselves"?

Members don't see this ad.

Most preceptors are required by ASHP to have completed residency, if not they need at least three years experience. Programs might be more restrictive, and you are right it could be internal reasons/policies/motivations like you mentioned too.

See page 22 for ASHP Pharmacy Residency accreditation standards I glanced through here:

4.6 Pharmacist Preceptors’ Eligibility Pharmacist preceptors must be licensed pharmacists who:
• have completed an ASHP-accredited PGY1 residency followed by a minimum of one year of pharmacy practice experience; or
• have completed an ASHP-accredited PGY1 residency followed by an ASHP-accredited PGY2 residency and a minimum of six months of pharmacy practice experience; or
• without completion of an ASHP-accredited residency, have three or more years of pharmacy practice experience.

See also under 4.8.c where most preceptors probably meet the requirement by having additional credentialing done or board certification, which in itself could be secondary to completing a residency.

I'll give my experience. The expansion of clinical services (preceptor jobs) has happened mostly in the last 20 years. Many of those jobs have been created in the last 10 years. At our institution, only 1 clinical pharmacist has been practicing more than 20 years and only 1 more, more than 10 years. Both of them were the first in their position. New positions don't often attract older experienced pharmacists. They attract new pharmacists who are moving to a new area anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Makes sense... but for me it was surprising to see kids who are only a couple years out of residency precepting current residents. Do they have enough experience to be effective teachers? I don't know. Though maybe hospitals by the very nature of the job provide more variety of experience in a short period of time than I am used to so maybe the technical skills are there... but the soft skills and insight... my best mentors were all people who have been around for 25+ years. And even looking back at myself, I would much prefer the now-me to the 28-year old me.

I don't think that 25+ years of experience necessarily makes for effective teachers. I have plenty of older teachers/preceptors that were not very good at parting their knowledge and wisdom along. I have also seen many who haven't been able to keep up or who refuse to change with the current standard of practice.

There are great pharmacists out there who have many years of experience, but there aren't enough of them.

Reactions: 1 users
“With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone.” (c) Absolutely, just the fact that someone has been in practice for a long time doesn't mean they are any good at what they do, and even if they are, doesn't mean that they are good at sharing their knowledge. But I can't help but wonder if having fresh-out-of-residency kids who are themselves still learning the ways of the real world teach new residents leads to suboptimal experience for the residents. But with the astonishing number of residencies out there, there aren't enough good teachers regardless of years of experience, probably. I think if I were looking for a residency, I would really pay attention to who the preceptors are, though, not just from the chemistry/fit perspective but "what can they teach me, and not just about their practice area", especially during on-sites.

What I will also observe is that's about right in terms of the PharmD ratios. Until 1998 or so, the vast majority of the graduates were BS Pharmacy and such were not qualified to be hired at ranks above Instructor. And, there's attrition associated with clinical faculty, and that is another story.

If you want, I'll PM you something private as there's a stereotypical career progression for clinical faculty. It's not politically correct, but it is exploited by most pharmacy schools especially those who do not put their clinical faculty on tenure track for performance reviews.

What I will also observe is that's about right in terms of the PharmD ratios. Until 1998 or so, the vast majority of the graduates were BS Pharmacy and such were not qualified to be hired at ranks above Instructor. And, there's attrition associated with clinical faculty, and that is another story.

If you want, I'll PM you something private as there's a stereotypical career progression for clinical faculty. It's not politically correct, but it is exploited by most pharmacy schools especially those who do not put their clinical faculty on tenure track for performance reviews.
I’m interested in hearing this

Reactions: 1 user

PM me brother

I think its likely a numbers game. More grads in the past 10 years and an arms race of postgrad education have lead to many very well educated/postgrad trained younger pharmacists.