No LOR from Externship

Started by CaptKirk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CaptKirk

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious if anyone has any thoughts about this. I am finishing an externship this week. I had not intended on getting an LOR from anyone here because there are so many attendings who switch daily, that I've only worked with most of them for a day or less. In addition, I have two LOR's secured from my home institution (PD and Dept. Chair). So, I didn't really stress about it or worry about it until last week when a resident said that doing an externship and not getting a letter looks bad on your application.

Thoughts?
 
Just curious if anyone has any thoughts about this. I am finishing an externship this week. I had not intended on getting an LOR from anyone here because there are so many attendings who switch daily, that I've only worked with most of them for a day or less. In addition, I have two LOR's secured from my home institution (PD and Dept. Chair). So, I didn't really stress about it or worry about it until last week when a resident said that doing an externship and not getting a letter looks bad on your application.

Thoughts?

At this point how would any program even know you did the externship? I assume your transcript is already uploaded. The only program that would know is the one you are rotating at, and they may understand the lack of a letter from their program given their frequent switching of attendings and your already having 2 rads letters. I'm on an externship right now and won't have a letter from it, and am doing another one next month and don't plan on having one from that either. I already have all my letters, why get more?