No LOR from MSc supervisor. What's the best alternative?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fava_bean

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently completed my MSc, and my PI literally told me he wouldn't write me a positive LOR for anything. Long story short, he has sky-high expectations of his grad students and I simply couldn't live up to them. We were also a terrible fit in terms of personality and work habits. He is loud, aggressive, and a micromanager. I am quiet and easygoing, and generally take a long time to do things. He also assumes the worst in people and is very paranoid... eg. the day before me + my fellow grad students had an exam for a class, we asked to go to the library to study because the office space is too loud (mainly due to him, he is always yelling and you can hear every word through his closed office door). He accused the 3 of us of conspiring to play hooky, didn't allow us to go, and said we could use up a vacation day to go if we really wanted to.

Early on in my degree, he actually asked if I wanted to switch supervisors, but I really liked his research (and my colleagues) so I said no and decided to stick it out. Bad decision... now I've completely burned this bridge. I managed to score an interview at a Canadian med school last application cycle, without a LOR from him, but didn't end up getting in, so now I'm stuck.

TL;DR I have a terrible relationship with my MSc supervisor and he's refused to write me a positive LOR.

I have 3 LORs from my undergrad, but I've been told it's a red flag if I don't have one from my grad program, which is the only thing I've done for the past 2 years.

Which is the best alternative?

1. Letter from postdoc in my lab. We worked together on a few experiments, and she's seen my practice presentations, so she can speak to my lab skills and oral communication skills. It would not be co-signed by my PI.

2. Letter from a member of my supervisory committee. This person is faculty, but I have only interacted with him 4 times (at my 3 committee meetings + defense). He can speak to my written and oral communication skills.

3. Don't include a letter from my grad program.

FYI, my other 3 LORS are:
- science prof who was an advisor of an undergraduate genetic engineering team I was involved in during my 3rd year of undergrad
- science prof/MD who was my 4th year undergrad thesis supervisor
- volunteer coordinator of community org. I was involved in for all 4 years of my undergrad

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
get the letter from your supervisory committee member

I've seen this exact scenario where the grad student was able to build a relationship with someone on the advisory committee, even did post-grad work in their lab

it helps you lots if this other faculty knows and understands what the rep of this other guy is

is that your sense? that they will "rescue" you? because you don't want to talk smack about your current boss, just saying the scenario you describe happens and people are able to salvage OK with a committee member

this committee member needs to become your new best friend, because it is best if you have *some* letter from your grad school but an uncosigned letter from a colleague won't cut it

get the letter from your supervisory committee member

I've seen this exact scenario where the grad student was able to build a relationship with someone on the advisory committee, even did post-grad work in their lab

it helps you lots if this other faculty knows and understands what the rep of this other guy is

is that your sense? that they will "rescue" you? because you don't want to talk smack about your current boss, just saying the scenario you describe happens and people are able to salvage OK with a committee member

this committee member needs to become your new best friend, because it is best if you have *some* letter from your grad school but an uncosigned letter from a colleague won't cut it

Thanks so much for your input. I'm actually not sure if my committee member will "rescue" me... for all I know, my supervisor may have talked smack about me to him. He works on the same floor as us, but I don't know if he knows my supervisor treats his students like crap. On the flip side, I think I may have overheard my supervisor bragging to him that I got an interview at [Canadian med school] and that he wrote me a LOR (yeah, he's two-faced like that)... I'm really not sure whose side my committee member will take if I ask him for a LOR. I've been dreading emailing him, but I've got nothing to lose so I'm just gonna bite the bullet. Even if he says no, I could still try asking my other committee member, although she doesn't know me as well because she works in a different building.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a tough situation. Considering my M.Sc. and associated activities came up at almost all my interviews (teaching experiences, research) it may be a red flag if you don't include something from it. Is there a way to get the chair to write you a letter?

Unfortunate situation to be in. Contact the supervisory committee to see how receptive they are to writing a strong letter for you. Ask if they are open to incorporating feedback from your postdoc.

However, if the committee isn't fully supportive, I would forgo a letter from your grad program. No letter is still preferable to a lukewarm / negative letter.