No love from IS schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fl.man

Reaction score
I'm a reapplicant and I'm ecstatic with how my cycle is going so far but there's one thing that's really puzzling... In two cycles now, I've never gotten an II from an IS school. There are six public FL schools and I've been a resident here all my life yet nothing. Last cycle I thought it was bc of stats but then this cycle I got IIs for schools with even higher avgs. Even for the schools where I'm a mission fit, it's complete silence. I'm not upset and I know I'm not entitled to anything for being a resident but I just find it really weird considering IS schools are supposedly your best chances yet most of my IIs are from OOS public schools.

So I'm curious is this common? Any ideas why it might happen?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Not quite the same, but I do have a somewhat similar situation. I was rejected pre-II from my state school despite having solid stats and strong ECs. I think MSAR said that they interview ~60% of IS applicants, so that particular rejection was a huge blow to my confidence and was hands down the worst R of my entire cycle. The ironic part is that my cycle was also going reasonably well otherwise and I interviewed (and was ultimately accepted) OOS at a state MD school that accepts ~1.5% of OOS applicants. Granted, I had strong ties to the state, but I was still discouraged from even applying in the first place because of their strong in-state preference.

Knowing nothing about your application and having extremely limited knowledge of med school admissions outside of my own experiences, I can't tell you for sure why you're not getting IIs to your state schools. But I can agree that it does seem a little strange.

Honestly, it could just be a demonstration of how random this process is. With thousands of applicants competing for 50-200 seats at each individual school, for every person who gets accepted, there are probably multiple strong applicants who are ultimately rejected. There may be a good reason for those rejections, or it just may be plain old bad luck.

Finally, of note, interview season is still going on. I hadn't yet received the II for the school I currently attend at this point in my cycle. In the wise words of Yogi Berra, "It ain't over 'til it's over."

Good luck!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
My random surmise: Florida is a large and competitive state. If a lot of Florida residents apply to in-state schools and ad coms want regional diversity, it may require higher than average stats for a Florida resident to gain admission to a Florida school.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you have network and talk with admissions staff prior to applying (either the first time or afterwards)? I'll agree that Florida is a relatively competitive pool, and there are a lot of Florida applicants who go out of state.