No microbiology in my university

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ateria

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A couple of schools I plan to apply to have a microbiology requirement. My university does not have a single course in this area because of a lack of a department.

That being said I'm a Molecular biology and biochemistry major at University, so i take plenty of courses that are related to but not directly microbiology.

Has anyone been in this situation and found a solution? Will adcoms accommodate because of this technical problem?

Members don't see this ad.

You're expected to take the course at another four year university if you cannot take it at your undergraduate location. Some schools will make exceptions for certain courses, but it's usually a case by case basis. Call each school, tell them your planned courses, and see what they say.

A couple of schools I plan to apply to have a microbiology requirement. My university does not have a single course in this area because of a lack of a department.

That being said I'm a Molecular biology and biochemistry major at University, so i take plenty of courses that are related to but not directly microbiology.

Has anyone been in this situation and found a solution? Will adcoms accommodate because of this technical problem?

They have concentrations in molecular and biochem, but no class in micro...

sounds poverty.

Members don't see this ad :)
How does your school not have at least a basic microbiology class....?

Funnily enough, I just had the issue that my school offers 2010 micro only, which I took a couple years ago. On interview day, UF informed me that they typically see it as 3000, and needed some documentation. So my advisor just sent an email with a course catalog description and explanation, including that I've taken several 4000 courses like immunology that integrate micro.

So in your case, are there any local state colleges that would offer an inexpensive option to enroll in a single course? I had to go back to the school I got my AA from to take sociology. Either way, you need to take it, and try to make sure it's 3000+. Sometimes schools that don't have a campus course do have it online, and you can't tell the difference on transcripts in my experience.