No MMEP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Please!

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out that MMEP program is now called SMEP. For those who don't know, this is a pre-med summer program held at various Med. school sites thoughout the country. It is sponsored by the AAMC. Now that MMEP is called SMEP, it is no longer exclusively for minority students. Does anyone know what the motivation behind this was? I did the program in Chicago and the whole "minority" thing was a big part of it. Out of curiousity, does anyone know how the program will specifically change now that it is open to all?

Members don't see this ad.

Please!,

From my reading of the website, it seems like the program has just expanded to include students of all backgrounds with social or economic disadvantages, as well as those students who are underrepresented in areas such as rural medicine. The goals of the program still aim to diversify the medical workforce. Another possibility is that enrollment in the program has been down (I know that at one point they were having trouble recruiting enough students to some of the sites). There also may have been complaints about the exclusivity of the program, which also may have led the AAMC and/or program funders make the change. I guess the only way we'll know about how the program will change is when this next cycle of guinea pigs rolls through the program.

H&T

EDIT: The fact sheet on the website reads "This new name reflects the program's current reality, helping to accurately identify it as a summer program for all students who are committed to a diverse workforce. With the name SMEP, the enrichment program for applicants from historically underrepresented racial and ethnic groups, which could discourage applications from students who are either strong advocates for diversity of come from other underrepresented groups."

my guess is that the change in wording was probably in response to growing anti-affirmative action sentiment. i remember reading in the LA Times recently that many universities criticized for having minority-specific scholarships, etc have opted to revise their policies.

not that i'm a huge champion of affirmative action, but i would think that private universities like stanford or pepperdine have the right to support under-represented minorities with such programs and scholarships

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-pepper22jan22,1,7295198.story

you have to be a registered user to access the story, but here's a quote

From the LA Times, January 22, 2004:

"Last month, two activist groups lodged complaints about the scholarship ? the Richard Eamer Scholars Program ? with the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights. The groups ? including a Sacramento-based organization founded by University of California Regent Ward Connerly ? have formally targeted a half dozen schools around the country, and sent warning letters to as many as 100 institutions.

In California, two other schools ? the California Institute of Technology and Stanford ? have received letters. Each, in turn, modified their practices in a recruiting or fellowship program. But Pepperdine, which received a warning letter but refused to change the Eamer scholarship, was the only California school to draw a formal complaint. "

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this trend is a good thing. Affirmative action at some institutions are simply too simplistic and are not fair (Like using a point system to admit students, and automatically add certain number of points for minorities)

Also, another thing is, the official definition of URM doesn't include certain groups. For example, I heard that URM includes Mexican Americans, but not some other Hispanic groups.

Originally posted by CalBeE
Also, another thing is, the official definition of URM doesn't include certain groups. For example, I heard that URM includes Mexican Americans, but not some other Hispanic groups.

Spaz: I understand your sentiment and think that this could be a possibility for the new and improved SMEP program.

CalBeE: The traditional definition of a historically underrepresented minority group included African Americans, Native Americans/Alaska Natives, Mainland Puerto Ricans, and Mexican Americans (including Chicanos). However, the definitions for some programs have included all Latino and API groups. It all depends on the program. For example, I participated in Weill's summer research program during undergrad, and there was representation from a number of groups, including Vietnamese. Also, note that not all AA that is employed uses a simplistic race-based point system for added effect (as was seen in the UM cases).

Originally posted by Heal&Teach
Also, note that not all AA that is employed uses a simplistic race-based point system for added effect (as was seen in the UM cases).

I think more and more schools stopped using the point-based system for affirmative action b/c it's controversial. Although most schools that use affirmative action will claim that they look at the whole package and URM status doesn't = immediate admission, I can't help but be skeptical about what really is going on inside.