General Admissions & OTCAS No observation hours because of COVID? :(

Started by Deleted member 1077394
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

Deleted member 1077394

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I decided on Rehab Sci late. Unfortunately, by that time, COVID had hit. The hospital/clinic system that effectively has a monopoly around here isn't allowing any visitors or volunteers because of COVID, meaning I can't get it before applying.

Do you think programs will accept, "I couldn't because of COVID" as a reason for a lack of observation hours? How much do you think this will hurt me?

Thanks!

- KMF
 
Most OT programs that I have seen you can appeal or do an alternative for observation hours. It varies on a case by case basis. Luckily I was able to get my hours before COVID so I haven't looked too much into that, but for example I know of a program where they provide their own videos and modules that you can complete as an alternative or write a paper. I would say for the most part, programs, if not all, are understanding of the present circumstances and have provided reasonable alternatives and accommodations -why GRE has been waived for a lot of programs, no in-person interviews etc-

Unfortunately it is important to have a letter of rec from a licensed OT so that might be hard to get if you've been unable to do any observation hours whatsoever.