General Admissions & OTCAS No observation hours because of COVID? :(

• Thread starter Deleted member 1077394
  • Start date
  • A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!
D

Deleted member 1077394

Hi,

I decided on Rehab Sci late. Unfortunately, by that time, COVID had hit. The hospital/clinic system that effectively has a monopoly around here isn't allowing any visitors or volunteers because of COVID, meaning I can't get it before applying.

Do you think programs will accept, "I couldn't because of COVID" as a reason for a lack of observation hours? How much do you think this will hurt me?

Thanks!

- KMF

Nov 30, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Occupational Therapy
Most OT programs that I have seen you can appeal or do an alternative for observation hours. It varies on a case by case basis. Luckily I was able to get my hours before COVID so I haven't looked too much into that, but for example I know of a program where they provide their own videos and modules that you can complete as an alternative or write a paper. I would say for the most part, programs, if not all, are understanding of the present circumstances and have provided reasonable alternatives and accommodations -why GRE has been waived for a lot of programs, no in-person interviews etc-

Unfortunately it is important to have a letter of rec from a licensed OT so that might be hard to get if you've been unable to do any observation hours whatsoever.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.