Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

No Pharm Tech Experience

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by prepharmstudent77, Sep 17, 2018.

?

Will the lack of being a pharm tech adversely affect my application?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Depends

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. prepharmstudent77

I am in the process of applying to the UW School of Pharmacy, but feel my application is going to look inadequate due to my lack of experience as a pharmacy technician. The vast majority (>90%) of their most recently admitted class were pharmacy technicians and almost everybody I've talked who are either in or completed the program said they were pharmacy technicians. Will my lack of experience affect my ability to get in?

I do have experience working in a research lab studying the efficacy and pharmacokinetics of liposome-based drug formulations for two years now and have a 3.8 GPA with volunteer experience, worked as a chemistry tutor, and shadowed pharmacists. LORs from the researcher/professor I’ve been working for, my organic chem lab instructor, and my mentor who is an academic advisor for my current program. Will this be enough?

#1 prepharmstudent77, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DOOM N GLOOM

Anyone with a pulse and can qualify for $200k in student loans will get in. You have nothing to worry about, but be aware that you are walking into your own demise. Pick another profession if possible.

princeafrica and BigBoss like this.
  4. BC_89

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Short answer: you’ll be fine

Look at other threads with minimum accepted GPA’s and majority of people never setting foot in a pharmacy. If people with ~2.5 two year pre-reqs get in with no research or experience your bound to be accepted somewhere.

Just be cautious when choosing this field

BigBoss likes this.
  5. stoichiometrist

7+ Year Member

It won't affect your application to get in, but it will definitely affect your future job prospects and overall happiness.

Not having experience means that you don't know what this profession is truly like. You don't make an informed decision on going into the field so you listen to the sales pitches of pharmacy schools on how great this profession is and will be in the future. By the time you step into a pharmacy the very first time in your life during rotations, you're already $100k+ in debt and halfway through school.

6. Pharmsophiat

Pre-Pharmacy
    stop this. am tired of seeing the same post in differnt threads

7. allantois

5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Not seeing it, won’t make it go away

DOOM N GLOOM likes this.
  8. DOOM N GLOOM

I’m also tired of seeing the same “what are my chances” posts in different threads. What’s your point?

9. DruggieDoRight

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Your chances are basically 100% because the only standard is "can you pay?" for school.