No Place to take notes on MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiapet874

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that calculators are not allowed on the MCAT, but for alot of the math or for organic chemistry problems, it helps for me to actually be able to write out the equation/organic structure. Since the test is now electronic, is there no way for me to write down my work? I have to do all the problems in my head now?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
my test center gave out paper pencil for the mcat, even though they used writeboards for other tests (gre or whatever other test was going on the same day)

My test center gave us scratch paper and pencils. From what I understand, however, the test centers that provide a white board and markers also provide scratch paper and pencils by request (but they will give it to you instead of a whiteboard). I would highly recommend always requesting scratch paper over a white board, because it will be helpful to you to reference your notes if you have to return to a passage at the end or just if you happen to write/draw pictures largely and need more space than a whiteboard can provide.

I've taken other standardized style tests for certifications in my field. The whiteboards they give you at testing centers are terrible. They've usually been overused to the point that there's always shadowing from previous markers. The boards are usually about 8 x 10 and the markers are thick. It's shocking that they'd give that for a test that would require calculations.

I would suggest to *always* request paper and pencil.

They give you tons of scratch paper and pencils. I prefer pen, and my test admin was accommodating!

The AAMC specifies that pencils and scratch paper WILL be provided. Should they attempt to give you a dry erase board, immediately call the AAMC and file a complaint. Once you're on your phone the test center will probably comply as long as you have evidence of the AAMC's rules (the website as well as the MCAT Essentials support the pencil & paper provisions). As long as you mindlessly comply with whatever they're told w/o asking questions or respectfully pushing back, you're going to get walked over.