No Post-bacc in San Diego...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopegirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What to do? I was really hoping to get into a formal program, but I am not willing to move me & my husband somewhere just for a formal post-bacc program. Am I just killing my chances of med school by saying that?

If I do an informal program on my own, I assume that I should be taking all the classes from one school? Does it matter whether they are at a community college or is it better to stick with a four-year university?

Many thanks in advance for any advice you have!

-HG :)

Members don't see this ad.

I do remember LLU having a small postbac-esque/grad program that was one year in length. Maybe check around here on SDN or their website for it; you can also do your pre-reqs at a 2 or 4 year institution. You can always do the basics (GChem, OCHem, etc.) at a CC and be set, but if you are looking for further upper division courses to offset a mediocre GPA, better look at a 4 year institution. Another option is to go for a second bachelors, but the way things are looking at the UC's, that may not be an option; dunno if it could work at a CSU or private school. You'll have to figure out your situation as to why you need to go back to school, and see where you fit into the greater postbac dynamic (career changer versus GPA booster, etc etc). In the end, as long as you do well and fulfill all of the requirements, it wont really matter where you go. If you have an idea already where you would like to attend med school, I would just double check and see if they take JC courses for pre-reqs- some places dont accept the courses, but I havent had any problems thus far, and I do remember another SDNer taking her pre-reqs at a JC and she's in for this years class. Otherwise, formal vs informal vs grad s undergrad is all a matter of what best fits your situation academically and your lifestyle. Good luck, lets hope you can stay in San Diego! :thumbup:

Hopegirl said:
What to do? I was really hoping to get into a formal program, but I am not willing to move me & my husband somewhere just for a formal post-bacc program. Am I just killing my chances of med school by saying that?

If I do an informal program on my own, I assume that I should be taking all the classes from one school? Does it matter whether they are at a community college or is it better to stick with a four-year university?

Many thanks in advance for any advice you have!

-HG :)

hey-

i graduated from ucsd not even considering med school and have now gone back to take concurrent enrollment classes via the extension department (http://extension.ucsd.edu) for about $500 each (yeah, i know)... i work nearby and it minimizes my transcripts (as well as being a good school)...

there's also mesa, miramar and city colleges also offer the same classes (although not all campuses offer all the classes) for way less tuition...

the ucsd classes are during the day, which can be a pain, but i've met a few other people on DIY post-bac plans...

my advice would be to make a listing of classes you need (i.e. that med schools require) and then scope those colleges for when the classes are offered and if you'll be able to get into the class (the ucsd non-lecture classes are TOUGH to get into... long waiting lists)

PM if you'd like...
and good luck! maybe i'll see you in class!