1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

No Pre-rounding in Psych?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by VenusinFurs, Jul 30, 2011.

1. VenusinFurs

VenusinFurs I am tired, I am weary
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I was told by current fourth years at my school today that they did not pre-round for psych but rather started out doing sort of table rounds before they even saw the patient. They then did their interview with the residents in the room.

Is this usual?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ArcGurren

ArcGurren only one will survive
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is probably dependent on where you are for your rotations... at my school we have a lot of great psych patients but the actual rotation for students is a joke. You get in around 9 am, you go with the residents to the patients, do a few interviews, and the day is over by 3 or 4.

4. 2012mdc

2012mdc Enjoying the Dark Side
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    On inpt we did table rounds and then we interviewed patients but w/o residents.

5. Sheldor

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Same at our school... Its great :)

6. bioteach

bioteach MSIV
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Our inpatient psych we had table "rounds" with the attending, resident, two med students, two social workers and charge nurse. We would discuss each patient and then that patient was given the opportunity to talk to the group if he/she wished. They weren't forced to participate, and so only about half did. Our psych rotation was typically about 9-12 daily.

Oh, and we definitely couldn't pre-round because we were not allowed to be alone with our inpatients (we were at the county psych facility, most had some criminal charges related to their being there).