No RadOnc Program at your school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dirtybob

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year medical student interested in RadOnc, but i have a problem, UCSD has no radonc program, so i feel i'm at a disadvantage because of the lack of exposure, and connections that i can build within my school. I'm also fearing that I won't obtain a good LOR from my school which is critical apparently for most residencies. What should i do to strengthen my chances of matching in Radonc without a program in my own school? I know most of you guys will say ace the boards, but if you guys have any other advice, please share:)

Members don't see this ad.

Gfunk6 said:
Definitely do one or two externships in RadOnc, preferably in the residency program you want to attend. This is an absolute must as you will not be a serious candidate otherwise.

Along the same lines, your Rad Onc LOR will obviously have to come from one of your externships. Try to get to know the PD or chair well if possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a first year, you have an advantage over your competition, most of whom "discover" rad onc as 4th years. With some time to plan, you can also spend your summers places that do have medical student summer programs (Anderson and FoxChase have them) doing research for a few weeks. I've heard these are invaluable for building bridges with someone you can re-visit as a fourth year doing subIs.

Also, doesn't UCSD have a rad onc division? You can do research with whoever is there and try to get some pubs to slap on the CV. Sometimes at rad onc departments without residents, where people aren't used to attention/interest from students, you get more opportunities to shine than at schools with residents and students present all the time.

In sum: get involved locally, and travel for the summers.

Htown has some good comments. I agree youre in good shape. Do extermships, get great letters and youre fine. I would add onyl this, you MUST do some rotations in radonc. No place will take you seriously if you haven't actually had the experience.

Don't forget to do well in clinical rotations and Step 1 boards. It is hard to make up mediocre scores and grades with research and publication when everybody else has superb numbers plus publications. Good luck

thanks guys for all the advice, about the summer research thing, i wasn't able to set up a research position with a RadOnc dr. here, but i am doing colon cancer research for the summer for a GI doctor....would this help my chances or hurt it? I'm working really hard to land a published paper from this paper, but hopefully everything will go well.

I guess the only thing in my control right now are the boards and the clinical years. I'm hoping to do some SubI's/externships my 4th year, but am curious whether to do them in a top program like UCSF, or do one in a less well known center like california pacific medical center. Should i base that decision on my board scores/clinical year grades?

dirtybob said:
thanks guys for all the advice, about the summer research thing, i wasn't able to set up a research position with a RadOnc dr. here, but i am doing colon cancer research for the summer for a GI doctor....would this help my chances or hurt it? I'm working really hard to land a published paper from this paper, but hopefully everything will go well.

I guess the only thing in my control right now are the boards and the clinical years. I'm hoping to do some SubI's/externships my 4th year, but am curious whether to do them in a top program like UCSF, or do one in a less well known center like california pacific medical center. Should i base that decision on my board scores/clinical year grades?
it would be nice to have a paper in cancer. of course it wont hurt. RIght now its hard to advise what to do since your clinicals and boards are a while away. if you have weak boards, it may behoove you to rotate through a less competitive place in order to "audition" for them as you'll never be seriously considered at a more competitive place amongst people with both excellent boards and rotations. However if you can swing at least one high power rotation and do well like at ucsf, its worth your while at least for the great letters of rec from prominant people.

My school doesn't have a program either. I'm doing an away rotation now and have gotten to know two staff very well with little interaction with the chair. Is it necessary to get a LOR from the chair or will good LOR's from the staff suffice?

jb2 said:
My school doesn't have a program either. I'm doing an away rotation now and have gotten to know two staff very well with little interaction with the chair. Is it necessary to get a LOR from the chair or will good LOR's from the staff suffice?
nothing is NECESSARY but its certainly a good idea if you can. But better two good ones from others than a cool one from the chairman.