No rads rotation before applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm considering applying to rads, however I have not taken a rotation in it yet. Applications are due in less than 2 weeks. Does it matter if I apply to the field with no rotation in it and no LORs from a radiologist?

Members don't see this ad.

LOR is not important, but rads rotation is very important. It is a red flag that why you have chosen other rotation over rads.

So what am I supposed to do? Apps are due in less than 2 weeks and I haven't done a rads rotation. Am I screwed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you do rads research? Have you shadowed a radiologist? If not, how do you know you want to be a radiologist? What are you going to write your personal statement on? As with any specialty, it's important to be able to provide concrete examples describing your interest.

You have two weeks, better get to it!

waht made you decide all of a sudden that you want to do rads with no experience in the field?

So what am I supposed to do? Apps are due in less than 2 weeks and I haven't done a rads rotation. Am I screwed?

Yes, you are screwed. My best guess is that your initial plan was a different specialty and you changed your mind all of a sudden.
My guess may be right or wrong, it does not matter, but it is the first thing that comes into the mind of any selection comitte. Unfortunately there is not a lot you can do to justify it.

Anyway, with good scores you can find a spot, but much lower than what you deserve.

The most important question: Do you really like radiology?

yes u r

your best option - IFradiology si what you really really want to do - is take a year off and do radiology research and then reapply.. i really dont know why PD's will even give you an interview. theres nothing in your application that shows them you are interested in radiology

or apply and see what happens. you should be able to match a prelim program. and then you can apply again next year for actual residency. not sure if that is horrible advice, if it is, someone please correct me.

sounds like OP just didn't do rads rotation on time but doesn't have any other red flags