No rejections? What's the dealio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RenshawCell

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, so I went nuts and applied to over 60 programs. I have 12 interviews so far (and very happy, too). I have been rejected by one place... that was a 'safety' program. Otherwise, it has been tumbleweed city.

What's the dealio? Is this going to be one of those situations where I hear from a few more programs and then the vast majority of programs will never get back to me? You would hope that $25 would buy you a free rejection email... even if it is a generic mass email.

Programs should be forced to give you a solid answer.
 
I emailed a few programs that I have not heard back from but am still interested in and received this reply:

"[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Thanks for your interest in our program. Our selection committee is constantly reviewing applications, if you have not received an invitation yet, it means we are waiting for the Dean's letter to come out. We will not be sending declination letters until after our application deadline of December 31.
.
.
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Good luck with the match!.."

Methinks a lot of programs are doing similar things. A rejection at this point is bad. An interview by now is sittin' pretty. A "no-response" is good, IMO.

Good luck!
 
Thanks! That certainly does make sense. I appreciate the head's-up.

I wonder if ERAS, in the distant future, will have some sort of page where you see when programs accept or reject your applications in real-time. Maybe with a color coded system, where the name of the program shows 'not reviewed' as grey, 'rejected' as red and 'interview' as green.

That would be even more awesome on our OCD nerves...lol



I emailed a few programs that I have not heard back from but am still interested in and received this reply:

"[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Thanks for your interest in our program. Our selection committee is constantly reviewing applications, if you have not received an invitation yet, it means we are waiting for the Dean’s letter to come out. We will not be sending declination letters until after our application deadline of December 31. .
.
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Good luck with the match!.."

Methinks a lot of programs are doing similar things. A rejection at this point is bad. An interview by now is sittin' pretty. A "no-response" is good, IMO.

Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I matched last year, but I didn't get a single rejection email. I got 10 interviews and the rest kinda just ignored me. By mid to late October, I just figured they didn't want me. I honestly thought it was pretty rude. Maybe that's the way the system works for everyone though?
 
Thanks! That certainly does make sense. I appreciate the head's-up.

I wonder if ERAS, in the distant future, will have some sort of page where you see when programs accept or reject your applications in real-time. Maybe with a color coded system, where the name of the program shows 'not reviewed' as grey, 'rejected' as red and 'interview' as green.

That would be even more awesome on our OCD nerves...lol

No problem ^_^ I already met my "10 interview" quota, so I'm going through and removing places that I would not wish to interview at this stage of the game. I think I removed seven or eight programs. Regardless, I'm glad I could be of some help! Have a great day ^_^
 
No problem ^_^ I already met my "10 interview" quota, so I'm going through and removing places that I would not wish to interview at this stage of the game. I think I removed seven or eight programs.
I think others are probably doing this as well, so I assume that some programs may be sending more invites if enough of the initial batch cancel.

I've heard of interview waitlists in IM, does this happen in peds?
 
I think others are probably doing this as well, so I assume that some programs may be sending more invites if enough of the initial batch cancel.

I've heard of interview waitlists in IM, does this happen in peds?

I have not heard of official/general wait lists but there are waits on certain dates.
 
I continued to receive interview invitations through December of the year that I applied, and the program where I matched was the last to offer me an interview. If you have specific times in which you HAVE to interview, then let programs you like know so that they can process your application accordingly, otherwise just relax and be patient.
 
I continued to receive interview invitations through December of the year that I applied, and the program where I matched was the last to offer me an interview. If you have specific times in which you HAVE to interview, then let programs you like know so that they can process your application accordingly, otherwise just relax and be patient.

This does a lot of ease my concerns. I can't guarantee that I will relax and be patient, though...hahaha
 
To agree with a couple of previous posts, there are certain programs (including the one where I matched) that will not even look at applications until after the Dean's Letter comes out. I received the invitation to my current program last, and it was my second to last interview (and it's a strong program). Patience, children 🙂
 
Okay, so I went nuts and applied to over 60 programs. I have 12 interviews so far (and very happy, too). I have been rejected by one place... that was a 'safety' program. Otherwise, it has been tumbleweed city.

What's the dealio? Is this going to be one of those situations where I hear from a few more programs and then the vast majority of programs will never get back to me? You would hope that $25 would buy you a free rejection email... even if it is a generic mass email.

Programs should be forced to give you a solid answer.

Most of the rejections come in January. They want to keep you on their maybe list because SO many people cancel interviews come January.
 
I think others are probably doing this as well, so I assume that some programs may be sending more invites if enough of the initial batch cancel.

I've heard of interview waitlists in IM, does this happen in peds?

I think one place had a waitlist, Dartmouth?
 
I emailed my number one choice last week. They told me they liked my application but had already given out all of their interviews, but they would put me on the wait list. So there is a list in case anybody cancels. My only wish is that I would have done it sooner.

I then emailed another program that I'm interested in, and they wrote me back within an hour offering an interview.

I think other places are waiting for the dean's letter to offer interviews/rejections. And I'm sure they are hanging onto 'maybes' in case people cancel their interviews.
 
Last edited:
I think others are probably doing this as well, so I assume that some programs may be sending more invites if enough of the initial batch cancel.

I've heard of interview waitlists in IM, does this happen in peds?

Answered my own question: waitlist at Cornell. They email says they have good movement. I think I am on a few silent waitlists as I haven't been rejected from places sending emails but no invite either.
 
Answered my own question: waitlist at Cornell. They email says they have good movement. I think I am on a few silent waitlists as I haven't been rejected from places sending emails but no invite either.

Edit: just wanted to add that they are one of three places I emailed last week s/p Dean's letter. Got an interview at one, silence from the third. Actually had my interview yesterday, so it might be worthwhile to contact a few places.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those who have emailed and gotten invites, any advice on what to say and/or wording?
 
For those who have emailed and gotten invites, any advice on what to say and/or wording?

I basically asked if they were still issuing interviews and that I was very interested in interviewing at their program. I ended with asking them to contact me if there were any issues or questions about my application. I received a response within a few days of e-mailing them
 
For whomever is waiting at Cornell -- I just declined my previously scheduled interview there because in the end, no matter how great the program, NYC is just not for me and my family situation.

I hope this means that someone else will have a chance to interview there. I was going to be Dec 16th, if you want to email them specifically about it.
 
For those interested/waiting I too just cancelled a Cornell interview on 12/2 and declined my DC National interview....hope one of you get it