NO RETAKE OF NBDE 1 FRM 2010-confirmed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goyalD141284

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I mailed ada, regarding retake policy, their reply
Candidates will no longer be able to retake the examination once they have passed it starting in 2010. 75 and above is considered passing. If you have any further questions please call us at 1-800-232-1694.

Members don't see this ad.

I mailed ada, regarding retake policy, their reply
Candidates will no longer be able to retake the examination once they have passed it starting in 2010. 75 and above is considered passing. If you have any further questions please call us at 1-800-232-1694.

yes they have written this in new part guide also

i think this is gud news for ppl that have already done with their exam
and waiting for admn

I think is good for everybody. Now the competition will be more fair, because learning by heart enzimes and chemical compounds does not make us better dentists. Looking for unreleased past papers either. This endless repetition compromises the intergrity of the process

Members don't see this ad :)
I called the ADA and they confirmed that there will be no retake from 2010 once the candidate has passed the exam(75).It looks like we all have to get our act together fast!

Hello,

That's good news:laugh:...
What about those who have already gone through exam and lets say scored 78 ..... Will they consider them too or it's for only those who will take exam after 2010 jan?

These are the questions going in my mind....
Please clarify if anyone know about it ...

Thank you so much in advance

Think its only after 2010. Anyway most schools require scores above 80 and 85+ is decent score for some chances at admissions. Like someone said- have to get our act together fast.

I call them and they told me that since 2010 percentage score of NBDE is no longer important in our apllication-they just want us to pass it. This is first step of big change. I think that it is great news for people who have low scores.

But then wat is going to be the selection criteria of universities?

I call them and they told me that since 2010 percentage score of NBDE is no longer important in our apllication-they just want us to pass it. This is first step of big change. I think that it is great news for people who have low scores.

No guys the criteria is going to be harder as they will give you the percentile..but they won't be allowing to retake the exam..once you cross 75 percentile..an the pass/fail criteria is changing later on not now ..so i think so it gonna be very hard now ...

No guys the criteria is going to be harder as they will give you the percentile..but they won't be allowing to retake the exam..once you cross 75 percentile..an the pass/fail criteria is changing later on not now ..so i think so it gonna be very hard now ...

definitely there will be difference in 75% and above 85% score
ppl with better score will be better candidate atleast upto 2012

Exactly! I agree with you.

This is the way USMLE works at the moment too I think. :(

:wtf:
what if someone attends an exam in december 2009, will he still be able to retake the exam? Sorry it's a studpid question i know :oops: and does this apply to NBDE part 2 as well?

what if someone scores 81 or 82 and he cannot retake coz its considered pass.how long should one wait to get admission in school?

Members don't see this ad :)
:wtf:
what if someone attends an exam in december 2009, will he still be able to retake the exam? Sorry it's a studpid question i know :oops: and does this apply to NBDE part 2 as well?

i don't know anything about the first question ..but yes it is true for both NBDE part 1 and NBDE part 2..:scared::confused::(

yes they have written this in new part guide also

i think this is gud news for ppl that have already done with their exam
and waiting for admn

Do you have a link to where you read it? I checked on the ADA website and read the entire files related to nbde on their website and I could not find this update in it! :confused:

Do you have a link to where you read it? I checked on the ADA website and read the entire files related to nbde on their website and I could not find this update in it! :confused:

It is there in the 2009 candidate guide for NBDE part 1.

please let me know wether it is better to take the exam by the end of dec or to take it up next year !

take it this year itself, god forbid, if u need to retake atleast you can..else prepare real real well and take next year..

please let me know wether it is better to take the exam by the end of dec or to take it up next year !

hi.....even if u take the exam by end of dec, u won't be able 2 retake it again next year.

So, better take it when u r well prepared, else take it by aug, so that if there is any need u can retake it in dec itself.

good luck.

hey
i spoke to ada and they said this new rule will start from 2012 !

hey, i just have talked to them regarding new pattern of NBDE PART-1 ...n thay said THERE IS NO CHANGE IN 2010 AND THE CHANGE WILL BE IN 2012...AFTER 2012 THERE IS JUST ONE RESULT PASS/FAIL....

3891]I mailed ada, regarding retake policy, their reply
Candidates will no longer be able to retake the examination once they have passed it starting in 2010. 75 and above is considered passing. If you have any further questions please call us at 1-800-232-1694.[/QUOTE]

there are two new rules
1) from jan 2010 we can't take the exam second time when we will pass but they will declare the score.

2)from jan 2012 they will stop declaring score they will just declare pass/fail we can't know the score ..

these are the information I got by calling ADA

If I am wrong correct me ..

After Part 1 and Part 2 are completed, if we retake part 1, do we need to retake Part 2 or can we use the existing Part 2 score with latest(new) part 1 score?

Thanks.

You don't have to take part 2 again, it wouldn't make sense.

hello sdn community. you guys have always been helpful and cleared my doubts so i'm wondering if you can do it again.

basically, my situation is that i have just cleared the first year of my BDS (in india) and already looking towards the future. lets see i'll be graduating in 2013 and was just wondering what i should be doing in regards to the NDBE. (e.g. when would be the best time to take it, how will the process be when i return home)

I know everything is really dynamic right now and constantly changing so we can't be sure of anything. But as it is what are the plans for the NDBE and process for returning dentist.

Thanks SDN. Luv ya guys all da best!

hello sdn community. you guys have always been helpful and cleared my doubts so i'm wondering if you can do it again.

basically, my situation is that i have just cleared the first year of my BDS (in india) and already looking towards the future. lets see i'll be graduating in 2013 and was just wondering what i should be doing in regards to the NDBE. (e.g. when would be the best time to take it, how will the process be when i return home)

I know everything is really dynamic right now and constantly changing so we can't be sure of anything. But as it is what are the plans for the NDBE and process for returning dentist.

Thanks SDN. Luv ya guys all da best!
I would hold off on the planning for a bit. Since in 2012(I think) NBDE will become pass/fail and more importantly you have be enrolled in US dental school to take it. You have A LOT of time so be patient?

I would hold off on the planning for a bit. Since in 2012(I think) NBDE will become pass/fail and more importantly you have be enrolled in US dental school to take it. You have A LOT of time so be patient?

Now that is a new piece of info !!!!!!! So does this mean that there's no more IDP programs or what? Can you please clarify where did you learn that fact?

Things are getting really harder and harder. hmmmmmmmmm .. :confused:

Now that is a new piece of info !!!!!!! So does this mean that there's no more IDP programs or what? Can you please clarify where did you learn that fact?

Things are getting really harder and harder. hmmmmmmmmm .. :confused:
This was discussed in this very forum. I would search for it. Actually ADA was thinking of bringing pass/fail system in 2010... they have pushed it to 2012.

No, how/in what does does it mean IDP programs are cancelled? The admission committee will think of other, comparable parameters to admit candidates. Again, until we have concrete info... don't believe in anything.

what i meant by a new piece of info was that you got to be enrolled in a US school to be able to take the NBDE exam. thanks for the reply :)

hi.....even if u take the exam by end of dec, u won't be able 2 retake it again next year.

So, better take it when u r well prepared, else take it by aug, so that if there is any need u can retake it in dec itself.

good luck.

Hello docnew york 08,

Why do you say, "if u take the exam by end of dec, u won't be able 2 retake it again next year". Since the rule is from 2010, y cant we give a shot in 2009 DEC and retake if needed in 2010? I am just confused!

Hi dent 2
I know what you are saying is sounds logic but as I asked from ADA before they are saying if someone pass it once before even if it was 2 years ago he can not retake it after jan 2010!
sounds strange!but it is true although I will encourage you to call them and ask again as they are not published any info about it on their webside!

Hi Guys,
informative discussion going in this forum. I really appriciate this.

1.I am not sure about the new rule regarding score is starting from 2010/2012?

2. I also want to know that you got to be enrolled in a US school to be able to take the NBDE exam?

plz help me out

Hi guys,
I have a big concern.
I am taking NBDE 2 in Jan 2010.

I would like to know if anyone can tell me.

Once I pass part 2 in 2010. And receive the certificate of completing the board exams.

Would I be able to retake part 1 again?
And If so, Would it matter if I passed of failed the test NBDE part 1?

I am thinking of entering a Specialty and that is why I need to improve part 1.

Hi,

I took NBDE part 1 in December 2008 . I am taking part 2 in March 2010, but in December I will pay for NBDE part 1 so I have 12 months to retake part 1 again and after I am done with part 2 in March I will begin to study for NBDE part 1 and retake on the end of the year. I called there and they said it is fine because the rule starts in Jan/2010.

Hi,

I took NBDE part 1 in December 2008 . I am taking part 2 in March 2010, but in December I will pay for NBDE part 1 so I have 12 months to retake part 1 again and after I am done with part 2 in March I will begin to study for NBDE part 1 and retake on the end of the year. I called there and they said it is fine because the rule starts in Jan/2010.

Thats Good News! But What would happen With your part 1 grade if you dont pass it?

Would I be able to apply for state licenses after residency? knowing that I already passed both tests?

The only reason I am retaking is because I am interested in giving my last try to Get above 90.

thanks

Hey guys i called like 5 times and they said that if i APPLY before 2010 i can retake the exam even if i pass before. I just cannot apply after 2010. So I am taking my exam in mid december and i already applied to take it again next year. i have even got a email confirming this.
I am not sure what the confusion is because i have called and got a detailed discription of the new rules. The score will only be locked in if we have not applied to give the exam again.

Hey guys i called like 5 times and they said that if i APPLY before 2010 i can retake the exam even if i pass before. I just cannot apply after 2010. So I am taking my exam in mid december and i already applied to take it again next year. i have even got a email confirming this.
I am not sure what the confusion is because i have called and got a detailed discription of the new rules. The score will only be locked in if we have not applied to give the exam again.
I agree with you

does any body knows if the retakers scores will be reported as pass or fail or they will be scored as they are dn now. Plz help.

Hey friends, if we applied to retake the exam , do they cancel our previous score? If I feel like not to retake the exam then I will not get a refund..but my previous score will be there.. rt?

from 2010 to 2012 they will report the score in numerical format.. as they do now. i.e. 86/90/94.

starting 2012 they will report it as pass/fail, with numerical score given to only those who fail.

from 2010 to 2012 they will report the score in numerical format.. as they do now. i.e. 86/90/94.

starting 2012 they will report it as pass/fail, with numerical score given to only those who fail.

So does this mean it doesn't matter what score I got in Part 1, and that when applying in 2012 to programs I would just apply saying that I passed both NBDE.

What do you think schools will do for internationals to be acepted in programs? There own admittance test?

does any body knows if the retakers scores will be reported as pass or fail or they will be scored as they are dn now. Plz help.

I called they sa-d that the commitee has not met to discuss how the old scores (before 2010)will be reported to the institutions in 2012, if my number or pass fail.

This puts me in a tough decision as well. Should I retake or Not the test again.

hi guys! I really don't know what would be best. I took the test in July and made an 83.:confused: I realize that is not a competitive score and therefore i'm contemplating retaking the exam. But what happens if i do worst this time around? I would have to stick with that score! Sucks!
It's like gambling. Should you take the chance, or not! :scared:

hey missi2863, don't think of anything if u've already planned of retaking the test.

I would suggest u just concentrate on the exam & put your best effort to succeed!!!!.....good luck!!!...

yeah i quess your right bskb!
thanks for the little push!

@missi2863.

hey missi2863 dont worry just stay relaxed and prepare hard u will definitely get a better score. i also retook the exam and got a better score and most people whom i know have retaken the exam have scored much better than their previous score. all the best

Plz check the following links.

Download Unofficial Actions from March 2009 meeting |
PDF file/28k

April 2008 | PDF file/300k