NO RETAKE OF NBDE 1 FRM 2010-confirmed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The NEW NBDE:

Effective January 2010 the JCNDE will start reporting performance in the NBDE exams as pass or fail only, and possibly administer a new version of this exam that basically combines both parts into one exam that is for the most part composed of clinical cases-specific questions.

There are couple of interesting issues that will arise because of this change, and those are mainly related to international dental graduates (foreign trained dentists). You see up until now we only needed to take part I and use that score to apply to schools that used to look at the score and make their acceptance vs. rejection based on that score and many other criteria. When the new exam is rolled, this will be impossible, since you need to be enrolled in a dental school before being allowed to take the exam, as you can see, the new format can't be used as an admission requirements since you can't even take the exam before being already accepted into school, and because standard scores cannot be reported anymore.

What could make this even more complicated is the fact that with the new format schools may feel obliged to add more biomedical sciences courses to the curriculum of the international programs to make sure their students are adequately prepared to pass the NBDE in its new comprehensive format, this could very well mean longer programs (more than two years), and higher tuition. So, if you are reading this now, and you're still thinking, my advice to you is to go ahead and take part I and secure that important step toward obtaining your license to practice dentistry here.

Good Luck !

I called ADA,what they told is next year that is in 2010 they will give scores not just pass and fail also they told they are not going to combine part 1 and 2 in 2010.

Effective January 2010, candidates who pass the NBDE Part I or II, may not retake the examination unless required to do so by a state board or relevant regulatory agency.

If an application is submitted before the end of 2009 it will be valid for 12 months from the date we process the application. This means you will be eligible to test next year with a passing score.

However if you have a passing score and submit an application in 2010 or after you will not be eligible to test.
give ur views man

Members don't see this ad :)
same here even i have to apply for perio specialty program.. so i i dont kno if its better to take a shot in dec 09 or else wait for 3-4 months.. confused.. i think part 1 is the main requirement for them..
pls reply
Hi guys,
I have a big concern.
I am taking NBDE 2 in Jan 2010.

I would like to know if anyone can tell me.

Once I pass part 2 in 2010. And receive the certificate of completing the board exams.

Would I be able to retake part 1 again?
And If so, Would it matter if I passed of failed the test NBDE part 1?

I am thinking of entering a Specialty and that is why I need to improve part 1.

same here even i have to apply for perio specialty program.. so i i dont kno if its better to take a shot in dec 09 or else wait for 3-4 months.. confused.. i think part 1 is the main requirement for them..
pls reply
Hi guys,
I have a big concern.
I am taking NBDE 2 in Jan 2010.

I would like to know if anyone can tell me.

Once I pass part 2 in 2010. And receive the certificate of completing the board exams.

Would I be able to retake part 1 again?
And If so, Would it matter if I passed of failed the test NBDE part 1?

I am thinking of entering a Specialty and that is why I need to improve part 1.

Hi perio sdm,
can u plz mention ur part 1 score as u r planning 2 retake.
what all u need 2 get admission in M.Sc (peri0).
thnx
:)

i had just appeared for the exam to see the pattern.. score is 80%, so i have to reappear.. i have a date on 23 dec, not well prepared, thinking of cancelling it and moving it to mar or so.. pls advice..

hi guys,

i am BDS passout 2009.i want to do DDS in US.I need info abt how and where to go.I heard that MPH program is another way,is it really helpuf?can u tell me which visa should be applied for and what are the basic things that are to be done in india to go US.

it will really helpful if i get the info as its quite urget :).

thanks in advance

hey I'm planning to give the boards for the first time by late 2011. Should i put off till 2012? What is the criteria for selection going to be then?

Hi everyone, I have a question. I have already passed NBDE part I. Just passing score. Im thinking of taking part II. My question is after I pass part II can I retake part I.
Please reply asap.
Thanx

Hi everyone, I have a question. I have already passed NBDE part I. Just passing score. Im thinking of taking part II. My question is after I pass part II can I retake part I.
Please reply asap.
Thanx
If you have booked for retaking the exam in 2009,then you can take it within 1 year of booking.You can give the exam even after your part 2, provided you have registered for the part 1 exam before jan 2010.