No science since grade 10...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Euphorics

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have a 3 year BA from Canada in Anthropology. I'm 31 now, soon 32. I haven't taken a science course since I was 15. I'm interested in doing an MD program either in Canada, where I am from, or the UK where I have dual citizenship.

Are there any schools that may accept me without even grade 11 or 12 sciences? If not, can I study online to get the prerequisites? Any suggestions for the sites to do so?

I am guessing I will have a better chance in the UK because they have a lot of med programs straight from high school, whereas in Canada you often need university level science courses to apply to med school.

Your insights are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am 33 and also only have grade 10 science. I live in the states now though, so I enrolled in a community college. Contact a local college or university and see if you can start taking some pre-reqs there. I also got some books off of amazon on chemistry and biology so I wouldn't be going in blind. I think they assume that you already know a lot of the basics (which I didn't).

Hi everyone.

I have a 3 year BA from Canada in Anthropology. I'm 31 now, soon 32. I haven't taken a science course since I was 15. I'm interested in doing an MD program either in Canada, where I am from, or the UK where I have dual citizenship.

Are there any schools that may accept me without even grade 11 or 12 sciences? If not, can I study online to get the prerequisites? Any suggestions for the sites to do so?

I am guessing I will have a better chance in the UK because they have a lot of med programs straight from high school, whereas in Canada you often need university level science courses to apply to med school.

Your insights are appreciated.

Online prereqs should be a last resort. Many schools don't accept them at all and the one's that do will not look at them as favorably as they do if you took them a 4 year institution. If it is the only option, then that's all you can do, but you should only choose that option knowing in advance that you are weakening your application and chances by doing so.

Reactions: 1 users
You'll be surprised at how easy science gets once you get down the basics. It's not about when you learned it, it's about how you apply it. Science is all around you, in fact you yourself are science. The very blood that is running through your veins right now is a part of science, phenotype, genotype, characteristics, and traits all included. Everything in science is founded upon questions. Think of yourself as a player in the game of science and you'll discover new tactics that works best for you.