No senior thesis but 2 papers, one first-author?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glasscandie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm set up to do my senior thesis in the fall (wrote the proposal, got approve from the lab., supervisor is excited because it is a method which could be used even when I'm gone - it's a memory task for baboons). However, I'm thinking about dropping it.

I'm helping with this pilot study to standardize a procedure which will result in a paper this summer (see previous embarrassing post about how to write a methods paper); and I'll be first-authoring a paper this summer as well on a study I've been assisting with in the baboon lab.

(plus good GPA, assuming good GRE scores, NIH internship, Hopkins internship, clinical internship, good recs).

Will this be good enough for apps (due November/December '09), or should I suck it up and do the thesis? My major problem is we're trying to enroll daughter in a pre-k program, but it is part-time (e.g. 2-3 hours/day a few days/week). Currently, she's in a daycare which can go up to 40 hours/week, but if we started pre-k we'd have to drop daycare (can't afford both).

Hm.

ETA: The standardization study I essentially conceptualized - I'm not sure I can take credit for it in the way I would take credit for a senior thesis, but I was involved from start to finish.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be more than fine, imo. Congrats on having such awesome research experience, by the way--I'm a bit jealous!

By the way, what do you intend to do with your PhD (in behavioral neuroscience, right?)? Just curious...

I think as long as the research experience you have shows that you can help conceptualize studies and think critically, you don't really need a thesis. A lot of people I know, including myself, didn't have one and still got admitted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Published paper (especially first author) > Senior thesis

You'll be more than fine, imo. Congrats on having such awesome research experience, by the way--I'm a bit jealous!

By the way, what do you intend to do with your PhD (in behavioral neuroscience, right?)? Just curious...

Thanks :) I literally just fell into the Hopkins internship - they don't have a formal RA program in the behavioral biology research center, so I lucked out in being able to take on as much as I wanted.

I'm purely interested in research - specifically in behavioral pharmacology of drugs of abuse. I'm applying to 2 clinical programs because they have a dual-diagnosis focus (drug abuse/mental illness), and I think clinical definitely supplements something like a drug abuse focus.

I'm also happy to hear that a thesis isn't necessarily necessary. That would take a load off for the fall. Obviously if I can make it work I will, but I didn't want to be taking something away from my app. if it should be on there.

I think as long as the research experience you have shows that you can help conceptualize studies and think critically, you don't really need a thesis. A lot of people I know, including myself, didn't have one and still got admitted.

agreed, well said cara.