No Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no time to study. Playing a Div1 sport has always been tough, but trying to do school, baseball, and MCAT just sucks.

For example, I just got out of practice, and we leave tomorrow at 8am for the weekend. It is impossible to effectively study on the loud and niosy bus, the hotel is even worse. We play three games this weekend and then drive 8hours back on the bus Sunday night. I am sure we will get back to town about 2am. I have class at 10am monday morning and then practice starts up again.

We play once during the week, so that day is not available to study since we have tobe at the field at 2pm and I have class untill 1230. The game will be over around 1030pm. This leaves fours days a week where I can study, and I can't start until around 7pm at night.

I want to take the April MCAT and I have been working hard, but I hvae only taken two full diags. I have three more to take and I have no time to take them. (oh yeah, I'm a canadian attending a US school with plans to go to a US medical school. I need about a 34 to get in where I want.

Sorry for this rant, I needed to get this off my chest. No time to go study.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm with you. I play DI basketball. Sitting at home watching the tourney now, but it's really hard to get anything done during the season. Especially when on the road. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know exactly where you're coming from. I played Div. I baseball myself and couldn't imagine having to study for the MCAT while in-season. I feel ya!! Remeber to enjoy the best time of your life. Baseball can and will open many doors for you! I never would have thought I'd be applying to medical school. I came in contact with the right people and here I am. Good luck!

Not that I'm any expert with sports, but as a Chicago commuter, I am accustomed to loud trains. I do a lot of studying with earplugs, which work amazingly well if you can bypass the dork factor. Unfortunately the bright orange ones work best, with a noise reduction rating of 33 (the highest I've seen).

It takes some practice getting used to putting them in, but seriously, give it a try and see what happens.

Good luck anyhow

Are there not any other people practicing to take standardized tests on your team? See if you can room with them, and mention it to your coach or team captains.

Our swim team had mandatory quiet rooms for people with tests coming up. Everyone just signed up if they needed time to hit the books, and that was that. We pretty much had a mandatory 3.4 GPA on the team and took it pretty seriously, which probably helped with enforcement.

I'm pretty sure bucking the system wouldn't be the thing to do for any team. I guess it's nice when a system is already in place.

Originally posted by redgrover
Are there not any other people practicing to take standardized tests on your team? See if you can room with them, and mention it to your coach or team captains.

Our swim team had mandatory quiet rooms for people with tests coming up. Everyone just signed up if they needed time to hit the books, and that was that. We pretty much had a mandatory 3.4 GPA on the team and took it pretty seriously, which probably helped with enforcement.

I'm pretty sure bucking the system wouldn't be the thing to do for any team. I guess it's nice when a system is already in place.

Hahaha. On my team there is a basically a mandatory 2.0 GPA because anything lower than that means you aren't allowed to play. Are you on a DI swim team? I've never heard of having a GPA requirement for an athletic team above the minimum level. I would love to mention that to the team, "Uhh guys, can you hold it down a little bit because I'm trying to study for the MCAT over here?" I would get abused for saying something like that. Nobody would know or care what I was talking about. There are probably only a couple of guys who have ever studied at all on a road trip in the 2 years I have been on the team. Obviously there is a difference between swimming and basketball, but I would think a baseball trip is more similar to basketball than swimming, at least from the baseball players I know. I know before I even go on a road trip that there is no way I'm going to be able to study in the hotel room. Sometimes there is a place in a conference room or something like that. But I definitely second the earplugs recommendation; that's what I use on the bus. And yeah, you will get made fun of for it. I would also think about taking it in August if I were you, especially with how long the baseball season lasts. Are you going to be missing games to take the test?

Thanks for all the advice. I already have earplugs but it isn't the noise that I am worried about.

The season is long, and I am thinking about taking it in August. There is only 20 days left. I know the stuff, I am just having trouble with the testing. Hopefully it will all fall into place.