No undergrad degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thewince7

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if not having an undergrad degree would affect ones chances of specializing. I was also wondering if any dental schools actually grant an undergrad degree to students that do not yet have a degree after completion of dental school??? Anyone heard of this?

Members don't see this ad.

thewince7 said:
I was wondering if not having an undergrad degree would affect ones chances of specializing. I was also wondering if any dental schools actually grant an undergrad degree to students that do not yet have a degree after completion of dental school??? Anyone heard of this?

Hi,

Your undergrad degree (BS) makes no difference in your chance of getting a residency slot. It all depends on your dental school GPA,class rank, NB scores and how many (you know) you kiss while in school... as well as the type of specialty. If you enter a 6 year BA/DDS you will get both degrees after dental school. This type of programs are designed for high school students. When I was in school in 1991, we have a few students in the BA/DDS program but the attrition rate is high as these kids have NO idea what they really want in life and did not have the maturity for the profession. DP

thanks for the help, ive already gotten into dental school for next year, I just wanted to make sure i wasnt hurting my specialty chances by not getting my bachelors.

Dr. Dai Phan said:
Hi,

Your undergrad degree (BS) makes no difference in your chance of getting a residency slot. It all depends on your dental school GPA,class rank, NB scores and how many (you know) you kiss while in school... as well as the type of specialty. If you enter a 6 year BA/DDS you will get both degrees after dental school. This type of programs are designed for high school students. When I was in school in 1991, we have a few students in the BA/DDS program but the attrition rate is high as these kids have NO idea what they really want in life and did not have the maturity for the profession. DP
Wow. That is amazing that schools do this. I can't imagine being that sure about my whole future at the young age of 18. At that age, you really don't know what opportunities are really out there.
I worked for my dad for four years before college. I still wasn't sure I wanted to be a dentist until my mid 20s. There are so many possibilities out there! I think every kid should explore.